Barcelona - Las Ramblas Street

back-at-it

I am going to be in Barcelona in Oct 2106 for a Pre-cruise stay. I have reservations at the ARC Las Ramblas hotel.

While on Google Earth is see images from 2015 that show Las Ramblas street with graffiti all over the blank store fronts. Is it still like that? Is it a safe area to be in?

I have searched out other parts of Barcelona and do not see as much graffiti. I was just wondering if I need to look for a different Hotel.

There are areas of Las Ramblas that have a higher crime rate but if you are aware of your surroundings keeps you out of trouble. I don't believe "graffiti" is necessarily and indication of crime. I have stayed on Las Ramblas twice but on the top end near Placa de Catalunya. We are staying there again (Hotel Continental Barcelona) for four days prior to our cruise. The hotel is located very near the airport bus, hop on hop off bus and subway. This makes it easy to get around town. A cab to the port is very reasonable from here.

A little bit of Google search will tell you what to expect in the neighborhood and Las Ramblas in general. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy Barcelona, it is a great city.

I am going to be in Barcelona in Oct 2106 for a Pre-cruise stay. I have reservations at the ARC Las Ramblas hotel.

While on Google Earth is see images from 2015 that show Las Ramblas street with graffiti all over the blank store fronts. Is it still like that? Is it a safe area to be in?

I have searched out other parts of Barcelona and do not see as much graffiti. I was just wondering if I need to look for a different Hotel.

Las Ramblas is the heart of tourist Barcelona and absolutely buzzes so don't change your hotel. Yes, there are pickpockets there - as there are in all the major cities of the world - but just don't leave your common sense in Florida (e.g. don't leave wallets showing out of pockets or don't hang bags on chairs in bars) and you will be absolutely fine. Persoanally I have never noticed graffiti on Las Ramblas - it may well be there as I am not the most observant of people - but it obviously doesn't stand out and certainly hasn't spoiled our MANY trips up and down the street!

I've just booked our accommodation in Barecelona. I came across this map of the areas to avoid which may be helpful, we booked outside this areahttps://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zynhd068Z-JU.kZ0AYKyndGhc

I was steered away from that hotel and area of the street by the guy I have been dealing with for my tours. Possibly because I am traveling solo?

He recommended the L'Eixample area and I am staying at the Acta Atrium Palace for pretty much the same rate.

Call me cynical but your tour guy is more likely to have steered you to another area as he gets a backhander commission from hotels round there than due to safety reasons!

This street is still a pickpocket prone area, but safe.

On the subject of Graffiti, since I once worked for a law enforcement agency of the Federal Government, I learned that graffiti is usually an indication of gang activity. Many US big cities in particular had a huge problem with this is 30-40 years ago, but Mayors like Giuliani in NYC did a lot to clean it up.

Graffiti is hardly found in South Georgia, were we live, and you do see a bit more in Atlanta, but not like what we find in Europe. DW and I lived in Germany from 87-91 and Germany was practically graffiti free. I could not imagine graffiti in Switzerland. Perhaps a little in Italy, but not much.

Today, graffiti is awful in much of Europe. It is not too bad in Norway and Denmark, but seems to have caught on even in Germany. What made me really ill was graffiti all over beautiful Venice. Also, found a lot in Ukraine and Russia.

Fortunately, Japan appears to be free of the curse. Graffiti doesn't mean you are going to be mugged, but it is an indication that law enforcement is not working the way it should be.

We stayed 5 days in Barcelona in 2014. I didn't particularly like the busy area of Las Ramblas. Too many people and you could tell the pickpockets were everywhere. We are planning to go back to Barcelona and the first thing I told my DH is that I have no interest in going to Las Ramblas this time.

We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, only one block from Paseo de La Gracia. There are a lot of shops and restaurants. The HoHo bus stops at the corner. The Casa Batlo, Casa Mila and La Pedrera are a couple of blocks away.

We walked around at night and felt safe. Whatever you decide to do, just be aware of your surroundings.

Do you think buses (and traveling around the city) are safer at night than the busy street of Las Ramblas?

It's a serious question; I have never been to Barcelona.

We stayed 5 days in Barcelona in 2014. I didn't particularly like the busy area of Las Ramblas. Too many people and you could tell the pickpockets were everywhere. We are planning to go back to Barcelona and the first thing I told my DH is that I have no interest in going to Las Ramblas this time.

We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, only one block from Paseo de La Gracia. There are a lot of shops and restaurants. The HoHo bus stops at the corner. The Casa Batlo, Casa Mila and La Pedrera are a couple of blocks away.

We walked around at night and felt safe. Whatever you decide to do, just be aware of your surroundings.

Do you think buses (and traveling around the city) are safer at night than the busy street of Las Ramblas?

We took the HoHo bus during the day to get to different tourist places we wanted to visit. We walked around at night around our hotel and felt safe. Paseo de la Gracia is a big street and even though it's a busy street, it does not feel as crowded as Las Ramblas.

4774papa

Graffiti has very much become an art form in many European cities, now known as urban art. I don't agree with it being painted on national monuments or historical buildings, but on some of the old, scruffy buildings in places like Berlin or the East End of London it is fine.

In London you take walking tours with guides to see the urban art.

Have you never heard of Banksie, a renowned graffiti artist of international fame.

I was last in Barcelona about 15 months ago and don't remember seeing graffiti everywhere.

Thank you for your reply.

We took the HoHo bus during the day to get to different tourist places we wanted to visit. We walked around at night around our hotel and felt safe. Paseo de la Gracia is a big street and even though it's a busy street, it does not feel as crowded as Las Ramblas.

We have walked around Barcelona both during the day and night (including Las Ramblas) and have experienced no problems whatsoever (during one particular visit, just 2 women walking at night - myself and my niece). We like to go out to dine in the evening when/where the locals dine - we always take precautions re: pickpockets (never carry credit cards, etc, in anything worn outside our clothing - use passport wallet worn inside our clothing) and, of course, do not walk down deserted side streets after dark (same precautions we employ anywhere). We love to experience the city as the locals do and have never, at any time, felt unsafe.

Edited by dogs4fun

We are currently staying in a balcony room overlooking Las Ramblas at Hotel Continental, a block from Plaza Catyluna. Looking up and down Las Ramblas we have not seen any graffiti on Las Ramblas. We have seen some in other parts of town, but not here and that includes driving from Columbus statue north to here. On our walk to the HoHo stop this morning we saw no graffiti. We also haven't seen blank store fronts on Las Ramblas.

Edited by NMLady

We are currently staying in a balcony room overlooking Las Ramblas at Hotel Continental, a block from Plaza Catyluna. Looking up and down Las Ramblas we have not seen any graffiti on Las Ramblas. We have seen some in other parts of town, but not here and that includes driving from Columbus statue north to here. On our walk to the HoHo stop this morning we saw no graffiti. We also haven't seen blank store fronts on Las Ramblas.

That is great .. Thank you. How are you enjoying that hotel?

That is great .. Thank you. How are you enjoying that hotel?

We stayed at the Hotel Continental a few years ago as the hotel Jazz was fully booked. We booked 2 balcony rooms (extra charge for the balcony rooms and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony with our bottle of wine overlooking Las Ramblas in the evening) - we enjoyed our stay as it is centrally located on Las Ramblas just a short walk from Placa Catalunya. The rooms are all decorated in pink - didn't bother us a bit. Free wine/beer/snacks/breakfast daily. Rooms were clean, service was good and price was very affordable - couldn't ask for more.

Edited by dogs4fun

I will be staying there in October. How do you like the hotel, balcony room, PINK? :-)

The buffet gets poor reviews, but no one ever mentions the taste of the beer and wine. Did you try either?

We stayed several years ago & loved the location. The price was great & we thought the hotel was good. We were there over Thanksgiving & after returning from our tours for the day they had made Turkey for the buffet. There were a lot of americans at the hotel & they surprised us. It was very thoughtful & the turkey was good. I don't remember the other days but there was always something you could try. It is a very small food set up but filled the cracks. I think we tried the soft drinks but don't drink wine, it was in a dispenser so available all the time.

Barcelona is just like any other big metropolitan city, vibe careful and your will be safe :)

Exactly this. We are currently in Barcelona and the pickpockets don't have to work hard to find a careless target. Be vigilant, take sensible precautions and the pickpockets will look elsewhere. Watch out for distractions - we saw a teenager stumble on the subway escalator, several of his associates were following behind looking to relieve the Good Samaritans, who went to his aid, of their possessions.

La Rambla is littered with distractions - street performers, both legitimate and otherwise, street vendors, con men, etc. It's entertaining, city life - don't let a fear of petty crime spoil a wonderful experience in a great city. Physical assault against tourists is very in Barcelona.

I will be staying there in October. How do you like the hotel, balcony room, PINK? :-)

The buffet gets poor reviews, but no one ever mentions the taste of the beer and wine. Did you try either?

The hotel has a unique set up in that you take an elevator from street level up one floor to Reception. Yes, the bedroom decors are pink. We refer to the hotel as 'the pink palace'.

We liked the hotel well enough that we are staying there again in October -- 28 & 29. When will you be there?

There were some staying there that complained of the small size of rooms.

Keep in mind that hotel rooms in Europe can be small. This hotel is no exception but the room was comfortable. The balcony chairs are the bar stool kind which are not my favorites. But we still enjoyed sitting out there with beer or wine and snacks from buffet, people watching Las Ramblas.

We are not wine or beer critics so what the hotel provided was fine with us. There was one beer tap and one wine tap. There was a coffee machine with all kinds of coffees. There were soda taps and juice taps.

I think the reason the buffet gets poor reviews is that people from US expect it to be like US buffets, having lots of options. It doesn't. But we were definitely satisfied by the choices offered. Some change for lunch and change again at supper. Some choices, such as breads and fruit, are available all the time.

We were there three days so had plenty of time to try everything -- including the frozen yogurt! :)

Edited by NMLady

We stayed at the Continental last time we stayed in Barcelona...

You simply cannot beat the location...Convenient to everything, virtually right at the Placa Catalunya...

Yes, it is not a 4- or 5-star experience, the decor is pink, plastic and a little cheesy...but, hey, you're not buying it, just staying for a few nights...

The buffet is okay for breakfast, otherwise, it's good for snacks...nuts, fruits, etc. You are not going to eat lunch and dinner there...

The wine is pretty bad...but, hey, it's free...The beer is okay...

We would go get wine and beer each night and head out to our balcony--great experience. Free WiFi as well. And Hotel security is great.

Rooms are small--but that is true of a lot of Europe.

Our prior two visits, we had stayed at the Hilton--up on the Diagonal in the Financial District...and the Gran Havana--in the Eixample...and those were much more upscale hotels, I preferred the Continental...mostly for the location and convenience.

As to "Security", as I said, hotel security is great. And I never felt unsafe in the streets near there. Of course, I am aware pickpockets can be anywhere--and they flock to places with high tourist visitation. So, just always be aware--wherever you travel. Keep your valuables well secured. I wear cargo shorts with zippered or closed FRONT pockets. Some use "money belts". or pouches that hang around your neck and inside your clothes. As to violent crime--like assault or robbery--not likely to happen on Las Ramblas or the Placa Catalunya--too many people around--at all hours. In that regard, it is safer.

BTW, we will be visiting again for four nights pre-cruise in June. This time, I asked my wife if she wanted to stay at the Continental again...and she said "no". My wife prefers 4- or 5- star hotels and thought the beds at the Continental were a little hard. So, this time, we will be staying at the Hotel 1898--also right on Las Ramblas, a couple of short blocks south of the Placa Catalunya...a bit more "upscale" and quite a bit more expensive...but, still in the same area...

There are some other very nice hotels in this area as well... I would not be hesitant to stay there for any reason. Remember, no matter where you stay in Barcelona, you are going to be spending a good deal of your time on or around Las Ramblas...so, does it really matter that you stay somewhere else?