Seattle flight change

curlerguy

We are flying from Detroit to Seattle and then on to Fairbaks. Our turn around time in Seattle is 37 minutes. Is this able to be done? What are the odds that our luggage will make it?

Presumably this is on Delta for both flights. Delta uses the South Satellite at SEA so you'll simply walk a few yards from one gate to the next. Delta's published minimum connection time (MCT) for domestic to domestic at SEA is 30 minutes. Your bags shouldn't have any problems keeping up with you.

Well, you've booked it. It's a legal connection. Nobody knows the "odds", aka statistics. However, if you have the Delta (assumption) app on

your phone, you can track the progress of your luggage.

Personally, I would have arranged a longer connection, but once you are locked in, all you do is track your luggage. Know the layout of SEA and hustle to your next gate.

Don't stress. Just know your options if you, and/or your luggage don't make the connection.

Forget about "odds." Your result will be either success or failure without computing prior results. Good luck.

We are flying from Detroit to Seattle and then on to Fairbaks. Our turn around time in Seattle is 37 minutes. Is this able to be done? What are the odds that our luggage will make it?

The question isn't really if your bags will make it. The real question is will your inbound flight be on time. Even a small delay could mean YOU won't make it, never mind your bags. But apparently you're already booked so nothing to do at this point but hope your inbound leg is on time. ;)

Edited by waterbug123

Which airline? DL or AS. If it's on AS I wouldn't worry about it as Alaska have so many flights each day to ANC, they'll just put you on the next one

I would not do this.

Risk you miss the next flight or your bags don't make it.

As mentioned, no one can predict whether you make it or not but clearly with a 37 minute connection there is very little room for error.

I would not do it.

Keith

Which airline? DL or AS. If it's on AS I wouldn't worry about it as Alaska have so many flights each day to ANC, they'll just put you on the next one

To clarify: They'll put you on the next one that has seats available. No airline will kick off booked pax to accommodate pax from an earlier flight. So you COULD get rebooked on the very next flight, or it could be the one after that, or the next one, or the next day....

What were your original flight times? If the times changed substantially, you can call the airline and say they don't work for you and you want an earlier flight with a longer connection. Frankly, I'd do that anyhow. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Yes, this flight was booked by our travel agent. I would never had agreed to it but we are a group of six and I was over ruled. The travel agent will only say that "it's legal". I can tell you that if we miss our connection there will be hell to be paid.

Tell your travel agent to do her job and make the call to try and get it changed. If s/he refuses, go over their head. If you are still told no, tell them you will take your business elsewhere in the future, and be sure that your friends will do the same.

Yes, this flight was booked by our travel agent. I would never had agreed to it but we are a group of six and I was over ruled. The travel agent will only say that "it's legal". I can tell you that if we miss our connection there will be hell to be paid.

Tell your travel agent to do her job and make the call to try and get it changed. If s/he refuses, go over their head. If you are still told no, tell them you will take your business elsewhere in the future, and be sure that your friends will do the same.

Calm down :D. I know that can be hard at times! It sounds to me that the OP was overruled by others in their party, not by the TA. In fact, the TA warned the passengers of the dangers of booking such a connection, exactly what a good TA should do.

If the TA was the one who "overruled you" then you were not insistent enough. It is YOUR money and your itinerary. You don't let any third party "overrule" you. If you miss the connection and you agreed to it (which you did since you accepted it and paid for it), you live with the consequences.

Edited by frugaltravel

All the more reason when booking a trip with a group of friends or family to let everyone make their own flight arrangements. That way you can book what you want and when you want.

• 2 months later...