Rhapsody Rough Seas

Apologies if that sounded facetious.

Not intended.

I'm not even following what you meant!

Annual leave (Health Service Lingo) = Holiday (UK English) = Vacation (US Engligh)

Does that help?

.... to be greeted with this message

"Remember cruising to null on the Rhapsody Of The Seas in April 2016? We sure do. It was a pleasure to welcome you on board"

Eh, I don't think I will be forgetting it in a hurry!

On the upside I did still get 9 cruise points for our one night cruise

I'm not even following what you meant!

Annual leave (Health Service Lingo) = Holiday (UK English) = Vacation (US Engligh)

Does that help?

To confuse things further, U.S. Government workers get "annual leave" as well (although we still say we're going on vacation). Some other professions call it "PTO" or paid time off.

To confuse things further, U.S. Government workers get "annual leave" as well (although we still say we're going on vacation). Some other professions call it "PTO" or paid time off.

Our work rota (roster) is called the Off Duty, because let's fact it all you are interested in is when you are off!

Actually. Going back to the original topic (serious mode on)

Does anyone else not find it a bit weird that there was absolutely no mention of the "incident" in the press?

I mean , it was a bit of a serious thing. Thank the Gods , it could have a whole lot worse.The crew dealt with it admirably (well, apart from the fact the whole ship lost all of its scheduled daily maintenance , like cleaning windows etc - tbh we couldn't see out of our panoramic floor to ceiling window after that stormy night but for the salt stains running down it - we didn't moan or complain - because we're British and we have manners, and understanding , and all of that)

Do find it a bit odd that nothing was mentioned though.

Did those affected have to sign disclaimers or something?

Curious.

the only people who could really go to the press were the people in the broken window cabins. The ones I spoke to (Brits) just seemed to want to forget about what had happened. I don't think even Chat magazine would be interested in my "the night my carpet and a pair if sandals got wet..." Story.

Confirm no disclaimers, or requests for discretion. Apparently they weren't keen on anyone taking pictures in the affected areas, although hubby got one of some of the fittings that were removed.

On the upside I did still get 9 cruise points for our one night cruise

Another example of lemonade from lemons [emoji7] Hadn't thought about this, but very glad to hear it!

Edited by MindyJohn

Speaking of Lemons.

Here's a tip. If you do go back to Naples. Limoncello gets through security.

40% alcohol that looks like a bottle of aftersun lotion?

Awesome drink ice cold with Schweppes .

Speaking of Lemons.

I'll bear that in mind!

I too am surprised that the incident never made the press. We were luckily unaffected being in deck 7 port side but didn't sleep that night due to the noise mostly from the wind and our patio door rattling so badly. We wedged my hiking pole in it to try and stop the rattle. This ship we found was a particularly noisy one anyway. We noticed it as soon as we left Barcelona.

I spoke with three people affected by the incident directly - one English couple told me they thought they were going to drown when the water came through their window - very traumatized.

I would have expected some kind of official de brief of the incident as rumour and speculation abounded. The Captains talk, some 7 days later was the first time that I heard what would be called the official story. It was scheduled for 3pm and the Captain wasn't there at that time but cruise director said he was probably busy on the bridge with ships business. He arrived 10 minutes late, ice cream cone in hand, saying with a smile that he just had to have one. In any other circumstances this would have been funny but I think most people that gathered had the incident on their minds. The first question reflected this and the person asking it asked why the Captain or RCL hadn't given official information to the passengers as there were conflicting rumours flying around and it would be nice to know the facts. Bottom line was that it was under investigation and that he was still Captain and hadn't been relieved of his duties.

When we returned home and relayed the story to our daughter including the part where the Captain at 5am the morning of the incident to "stay in their cabins, I repeat please remain in your cabins" - she said that's what they told the passengers on the Costa Concordia! To be honest, even after hearing the Alpha calls followed by Bravo calls, I just mentally went over how to prepare to proceed to the lifeboat deck if necessary, warm coat shoes etc but didn't feel panicked or overly worried.

I'm left concerned that it was possibly bad maintenance - we noticed on our first day on board, more rust around the ship than we have been used to seeing on another shipping line we've used more often and I've seen a number of comments regarding rust around windows so I hope that won't be found to be the reason.

Finally I hope that those people directly affected have recovered emotionally - I feel so bad for them having to experience such a terrifying time then having their vacation cut short. This particular cruise wasn't the usual ports between Barcelona and Venice. If it's what they really wanted to do, it's possibly not offered very often so I hope they are able to rebook it.

Speaking of Lemons.

We make delish Limoncello, so I want to try this. Which flavor Scheppes do you mean? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in this whole incident, I am actually close to tears.

As "compensation" we received a Future Cruise Voucher for the amounts we paid for the 24th April cruise. As we booked when the offer was Buy One get one Half Price, there is an uneven split, with mine for £847 and Hubby's for £392. We have been told that we can't combine the amounts, but was advised we could use my "extra" money towards the gratuities. This is apparently not the case.

We are trying to book the Rhapsody again for 26th September, and are going for a Superior inside, due to it being on a higher deck! But to be told that, not only have we missed out on 200 USD on board spend which ran out 2 days ago, and lost out on the free drinks package we had on 24th April cruise, but I would lose £147 of the value of my voucher, I'm so upset. The guy suggested upgrading - Balcony's cost about £1000 more - or choosing a different cruise. We have already had to wait 2 weeks to get our leave approved for these dates :-(

We are happy to give Royal Caribbean a second chance, but they have no flexibility in sorting us out with reasonable deal.

Not even going to bother trying to book with our TA either, we are still waiting for our refund over 2 weeks after they received it.

Grrrrrrrrrr Rant over!