Rhapsody Rough Seas

Just got back from this cruise. We had no idea of the seriousness of the event that occurred on that first night and our sympathies goes out to anyone affected.

I'm not one to spread gossip ( if you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with your own ears then don't perpetuate it with a small mind etc etc) But we certainly had a few concerns that night.

We were in 7588. It forms part of that big glass wall midships between decks 7 & 8 and we had one hell of a scary night.

Apart from being tossed around by the wind and lurching seas (which I am used to, having worked in the oil industry in the far wilds of Scotland) The noise this ship made me lay awake thinking of a contingency plan. Frankly I was a bit scared.

It sounded like that whole glass wall section was about to fall off. It was creaking and groaning and snapping and banging. From 2 am I lay awake wondering why? Was it a lack of expansion joints to allow that huge section of fixed glass to move? I've no idea regarding the difference in the coefficient of expansion between glass and steel but I can tell you I lay awake all night wondering about it.

Edited by PederLin

Just got back from this cruise. We had no idea of the seriousness of the event that occurred on that first night and our sympathies goes out to anyone affected.

I'm not one to spread gossip ( if you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with your own ears then don't perpetuate it with a small mind etc etc) But we certainly had a few concerns that night.

We were in 7588. It forms part of that big glass wall midships between decks 7 & 8 and we had one hell of a scary night.

Apart from being tossed around by the wind and lurching seas (which I am used to, having worked in the oil industry in the far wilds of Scotland) The noise this ship made me lay awake thinking of a contingency plan. Frankly I was a bit scared.

It sounded like that whole glass wall section was about to fall off. It was creaking and groaning and snapping and banging. From 2 am I lay awake wondering why? Was it a lack of expansion joints to allow that huge section of fixed glass to move? I've no idea regarding the difference in the coefficient of expansion between glass and steel but I can tell you I lay awake all night wondering about it.

. That sounds pretty scary. Hopefully, RCI will not let thousands of people travel on a ship that is not sea-worthy.

...in Corsica, along with about 40 other people who seemed to be a mix of Australians, Brits, Canadians and other nationalities but no Americans that I came across.

Just wondering if anyone else who was affected is monitoring this post?

...in Corsica, along with about 40 other people who seemed to be a mix of Australians, Brits, Canadians and other nationalities but no Americans that I came across.

The Americans probably complained the most and were accommodated in other cabins.:p

The Americans probably complained the most and were accommodated in other cabins.:p

I couldn't possibly comment...... To be fair I didn't hear anybody kicking off on the day. We tried to stay busy and make the most of the day. Highlights of the day.. being able to brush my teeth and have a shower!

And here I thought a broken window and flooded cabin would have been the highlight.:p:p

Fortunately we were in an inside cabin, so just the flooding. Apparently the first thing my husband heard was me saying "awwwww my nice shoes" before flinging them on the bed. I insist that I had already told him to get up and dressed. Fortunately nothing was damaged.

Hi Ruthie- I'm so sorry you had to go through all this- it must have been terrifying. So happy you were not injured. I am scheduled on the rhapsody this summer and had an inside booked (cabin number 3453)- which was in the inside hallway. I moved cabins to an inside on deck 3 but on the port side near foreArd elevators. Can you comment on how many cabins flooded? Thank you

That 60 cabins were flooded. These were between the forward and midship lobbies on the Port side. our cabin was 3451 on the inside corridor

Thank you - we had the cabin next to yours originally booked. We switch to starboard side (I misspoke in above thread). I was wondering if the flooding reached the inside corridor and apparently it did! Wow

Thank you - we had the cabin next to yours originally booked. We switch to starboard side (I misspoke in above thread). I was wondering if the flooding reached the inside corridor and apparently it did! Wow

The water wasn't that deep in our cabin, perhaps 2 inches, it was moving towards the centre of the ship with the movement.

2 inches- That's still scary! My main concern is remaining smell of mould and mildew which i am sensitive to.

I would not be too concerned. The main things that got wet were the carpets, which will have been completely removed and replaced.

IMO, you should actually take great comfort and assurance from the fact that it DIDN'T break!

It handled the stress and movement.

:)

Just wondering if anyone else who was affected is monitoring this post?

Ruthie, thank you for sharing your experience!

I heard that they took care of all of your expenses, refunded your cruise fare, and gave you a FCC for the amount of your cruise fare.

Is all that true?

Enquiring minds invasively want to know. ;)

Ruthie, thank you for sharing your experience!

I heard that they took care of all of your expenses, refunded your cruise fare, and gave you a FCC for the amount of your cruise fare.

Is all that true?

Enquiring minds invasively want to know. ;)

So far they have agreed to pay for the flights home that we had originally booked and the ones we took (they arranged flights via Paris, we stayed in Paris for a few day extra, then flew home.) The hotel in Corsica was paid for by RCCL.

We are still awaiting our refund of the cruise fare. We have not yet been refunded for the dining package and excursions that we booked before boarding. We also have no decision re an independent excursion we booked.

The Future Cruise Certificate has arrived, as it doesn't cover fees, and apparently can't be used as deposit, we will have to spend £500+ just to use it.

What irks slightly at the moment is that the affected passengers who were moved to other cabins and continued their cruise got the same refund and future cruise certificate that we got. We would rather have stayed on board, but were not given a choice.

We have no problems with what happened on board, but will be glad when everything is resolved now we are back home.

.... I will share our experience, if anyone is interested. I typed it up when we were in Paris, for my dad who is interested in shipping. It was quite therapeutic as well.

.... I will share our experience, if anyone is interested. I typed it up when we were in Paris, for my dad who is interested in shipping. It was quite therapeutic as well.

Please, I would be interested.:)

As would I!!!!

Ok, will revisit this when we are all settled with RCCL. This make take a few weeks. Funny they are able to charge you straight away but refunds take weeks to process...

Ok, will revisit this when we are all settled with RCCL. This make take a few weeks. Funny they are able to charge you straight away but refunds take weeks to process...

I once had an awful experience and everyone's cruise fare was refunded. I think that it was on my credit card before I even got home! :eek:

(This was Princess in 2006)

I once had an awful experience and everyone's cruise fare was refunded. I think that it was on my credit card before I even got home! :eek:

(This was Princess in 2006)

I have been checking my credit card daily.... Chances are it will go back to my travel agents, they say it hasn't arrived yet.

At the moment, out of £2400 this holiday as cost us (not even including the hotel costs in Paris) we have only had the return of £300 confirmed.

... that we live in the UK, where our annual leave is in excess of 6 weeks. (Due to the nature of my job I work a lot of national holiday, so can take these days when I choose)

We know from speaking to others from other countries on cruises that we are extremely fortunate to have the flexibility to take 2 or three two week holidays a year, even if we are just off work and not going anywhere. If I only had two weeks of vacation time off and got disembarked I think I would have been seriously upset!