Rhapsody Rough Seas

Just goes to show me that "The Captain will sail around it" cannot and does not always happen. Hate it for those onboard but it is a vast ocean out there and we are nothing but a little speck floating around in it on these cruise ships.

Im on deck 10 all the way forward looking out the front of the ship on Magic in 5 days. Im really hoping for calm seas or it may be one helluva ride! Never done this before! :eek::o

The Mediterranean Sea can be very fierce. We've done a few transatlantics and none were as rough as what we've felt on the Med. She's one mighty sea. Jawdroppingly beautiful though!

Do you mean kicked off the ship for good, left behind in Corsica?! OMG, I would be freaking out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean will take care of all the arrangements for transportation for those passengers. We may never know what the compensation will be, but they won't be abandoned on Corsica.

The question I have is what happens if they are traveling with friends or family on other decks. Do they offer everyone in a group the opportunity to leave? I am always curious about how those logistics happen.

Hi Mindy,sorry to hear this, feel for all of you , especially for the ones who are on their trip of a lifetime first cruise.

We are on Rhapsody later on in the year but on a higher deck than those you mention that are damaged. I suppose with the cabin numbers effected there are too many for the ship to repair . Windows are not a problem it is the drying out, replacing soft furnishings, electrics etc. takes time. Is the sailing full?

Edited by heatherb1958

Just goes to show me that "The Captain will sail around it" cannot and does not always happen. Hate it for those onboard but it is a vast ocean out there and we are nothing but a little speck floating around in it on these cruise ships.

Im on deck 10 all the way forward looking out the front of the ship on Magic in 5 days. Im really hoping for calm seas or it may be one helluva ride! Never done this before! :eek::o

It was most likely not a case of needing to sail around the storm, but that the ship's speed was not adjusted for the frequency or period of the seas. This is what causes a ship to be "double ended" by two seas, with the midships section of the ship less supported. If you adjust the speed accurately to the period of the seas, you ride up and down the seas, and don't go faster than the seas and get hung on two. The watch officer was most likely busy with traffic and charts, and missed a change in wave frequency.

I guess they didn't expect the storm to be so bad or they would have stayed in Barcelona overnight and left the next day.....

I have only had smooth seas in the Med and it must have been very frightening for those on board :(

Weather hasn't been good to RCI this year!

Edited by LEtue

We were on Viking Star this past January and hit some very rough seas and it was not the least bit pleasant. First time I ran out of my (huge) supply of seasick meds. So I am sorry for everyone on board. I thought we had it bad but at least we didn't get any broken windows! Not any fun when the seas are destructive like that. On the plus side, we were in Ajaccio too and what a lovely port! That's your silver lining in the dark cloud, that the repairs are being done somewhere that it's fun to visit. Hope the rest of your cruise brings you smooth sailing.

Too bad that you weren't on a Royal Caribbean ship. They give out meclizine at Guest Services like candy.

;) :D

This is incredible. Please keep us updated. We just departed Rhapsody yesterday in Barcelona. Dimas is a FANTASTIC Captain and one of, if not the best, that we've had in all of our sailings. He will take care of everyone.

BB, they had Long Hammer IPA in the bottle on our crossing from Brazil to Barcelona. I don't know if that will continue. I did not see any pitchers of beer poured from the taps. Taps we saw: Becks and Stella in the Schooner, Heineken and Stella at the Pool Bar, and Heineken in the Diamond Lounge.

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. This morning we found many people sleeping in Schooner Bar and Shall We Dance lounge. Captain Dimas spoke to them explaining a pressure point had been created when the bow and stern of the ship were temporarily supported between two swells with the middle of the ship momentarily out of the water. Five cabins on deck 3 had windows burst at the pressure point. Once water entered many adjacent cabins on 3 and below on 2 were also flooded. He said seven people were injured and treated but OK. Upon arrival in Corsica they'll repair the windows. Crew is working to extract water and dry things out. Had to have been very traumatizing for those affected. They've been given internet day passes to communicate and assured they'll have whatever support they need, even if the captain has to "personally shop for new shoes for all those still wearing wet shoes."
. Thanks for sharing. Happy to hear everyone is okay. Pretty scary though. It does sound like the captain handled everything very well. Hope everything goes well with the balance of your cruise. Keep us posted.

Oh that is so sad to hear. I'll be on the Rhapsody in September on deck 3, but an inside cabin. One person in our roll call is actually on the ship now. There was absolutely nowhere else to put the passengers? I know how much I'm planning for this cruise and it would be absolutely disappointing if I couldn't complete the sailing. Glad to hear that there are no serious injuries though.

Very serious, and it "sounds" like Capt. Demas. He was on the street guiding folks into the proper bus lines and moving things along during our hiccup in South America. He is very personable and hands on.

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. This morning we found many people sleeping in Schooner Bar and Shall We Dance lounge. Captain Dimas spoke to them explaining a pressure point had been created when the bow and stern of the ship were temporarily supported between two swells with the middle of the ship momentarily out of the water. Five cabins on deck 3 had windows burst at the pressure point. Once water entered many adjacent cabins on 3 and below on 2 were also flooded. He said seven people were injured and treated but OK. Upon arrival in Corsica they'll repair the windows. Crew is working to extract water and dry things out. Had to have been very traumatizing for those affected. They've been given internet day passes to communicate and assured they'll have whatever support they need, even if the captain has to "personally shop for new shoes for all those still wearing wet shoes."

Oh that is so sad to hear. I'll be on the Rhapsody in September on deck 3, but an inside cabin. One person in our roll call is actually on the ship now. There was absolutely nowhere else to put the passengers? I know how much I'm planning for this cruise and it would be absolutely disappointing if I couldn't complete the sailing. Glad to hear that there are no serious injuries though.

RCL is really good at filling ships. There's rarely empty cabins on any cruise, even in farflung places. 150 people displaced means 60 cabins wet; on a typical cruise there probably wouldn't have been even six empty.

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. This morning we found many people sleeping in Schooner Bar and Shall We Dance lounge. Captain Dimas spoke to them explaining a pressure point had been created when the bow and stern of the ship were temporarily supported between two swells with the middle of the ship momentarily out of the water.

This is what can happen in "rogue wave" events where there can be a deep trough ahead of the wave. The extreme case is the ship "breaks its back" and sinks. Lots of examples over the years:eek:

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. "

You slept through the storm but the cabin announcement woke you?

The Med is so beautiful, yet can be very nasty! I can imagine what these passengers have woken up to.

A few years ago we were a couple of hours into sailing away from Barcelona on the Carnival Freedom when we hit a freak storm & 17 foot waves. It suddenly went from very smooth to very rough. We were up on deck at the time and out of nowhere this wind just came along and swept up deck chairs like bits of paper & then the towel gazebo which was bolted down got blown away and smashed to pieces. At this point we headed inside only to have overhead panels & wiring start falling and narrowly missing us. We ended up getting told to stay in our cabins. It was very rough for a couple of hours & lucky no major damage, but cosmetically there was a fair bit around the ship.

RCL is really good at filling ships. There's rarely empty cabins on any cruise, even in farflung places. 150 people displaced means 60 cabins wet; on a typical cruise there probably wouldn't have been even six empty.

You would be surprised................ ;)

Do you mean kicked off the ship for good, left behind in Corsica?! OMG, I would be freaking out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All the displaced guests I observed were remarkably calm and stoic. Some left the ship after dinner, so probably were put in hotels overnight to be flown home today. I just took a look at the port hallways on decks 2 and 3 and 2 looks normal although someone told me he was on 2 and the cabin next to his had the ceiling come down. Maybe a few rooms are being repaired behind closed doors. The hallway on 3 between 3090 and 3038 is closed off with all carpet and pad removed and fans blowing.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

It was most likely not a case of needing to sail around the storm, but that the ship's speed was not adjusted for the frequency or period of the seas. This is what causes a ship to be "double ended" by two seas, with the midships section of the ship less supported. If you adjust the speed accurately to the period of the seas, you ride up and down the seas, and don't go faster than the seas and get hung on two. The watch officer was most likely busy with traffic and charts, and missed a change in wave frequency.

Sounds reasonable. The Captain said he never left the bridge from Barcelona onward. The stormy seas weren't terrible - not as if things were being tossed around the cabin. Captain Dimas' said the list was under 3 degrees.

I guess they didn't expect the storm to be so bad or they would have stayed in Barcelona overnight and left the next day.....

I have only had smooth seas in the Med and it must have been very frightening for those on board :(

Weather hasn't been good to RCI this year!

No, Captain said storm was as expected and easily within the range of the ship.

You slept through the storm but the cabin announcement woke you?

Just a bit of rocking with noise from the wind through balcony door. Even after the announcement we were never alarmed and others we've spoken with felt the same. Obviously people who were flooded would have had a different view. Seas of 4-5 meters don't bother me.