Checked Baggage Fees Waived for Military

love2driveinct

I did ask this question in the Military Cruisers forum, but it isn't frequented as much as this one, so I'm also asking it here. I hope that's okay.

Both of the airlines we are flying state that they offer a good discount (free) on a certain number of checked bags for military personnel, even when traveling for pleasure. One of the airlines even extends this to dependents traveling with them.

In our case it could save quite a bit of money since we are a family of five. Our original plan was to bring five carry-ons and only as many large checked suitcases (probably 3) as we need since they will be $35 each. But normally we fly Southwest (no fees) and each bring one large checked bag to keep our carry-ons to a minimum. This is obviously easier for us to manage, especially since our youngest struggles to pull anything larger than a small carry-on.

So... Has anyone done this? Is it a huge hassle?

Has anyone in the Reserves tried this with the white ID that looks identical to AD?

Both of the airlines we are flying state that they offer a good discount (free) on a certain number of checked bags for military personnel, even when traveling for pleasure. One of the airlines even extends this to dependents traveling with them.

What airlines? I'm not saying you're wrong, but you may want to double check what you read or heard. Delta, for instance, offers a generous free baggage allowance to active military traveling on orders, and extends the same benefit to their dependents. If just traveling for pleasure, the benefit does not extend to dependents, and the active duty person cannot take as much for free as he/she could if traveling on orders.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/checked.html#military

Either way, as it will vary from airline to airline, it would be helpful to state the airlines you're flying if you want people's personal experience.

We are flying Air Canada and their info is here (no free bags for dependents, but up to three for the service person):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_na/policies/documents/military_baggage_policy.pdf

It says "Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are now entitled to check up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each. The allowance is applicable to the

member of the military and is valid for both personal and duty travel."

Our years of experience with terminology like "eligible active and retired members" has so far always included Reservists.

The other airline is United and their info is here:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx

It says "Active U.S. military personnel and their dependents:

Dependents of active U.S. military personnel will have the same exemptions as the military service member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation."

It seems that there would be an extra step or two required at the airport -- getting the ID checked for eligibility, getting special luggage tags. I was just trying to find out if anyone had done this and how it worked out.

We are flying Air Canada and their info is here (no free bags for dependents, but up to three for the service person):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_na/policies/documents/military_baggage_policy.pdf

It says "Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are now entitled to check up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each. The allowance is applicable to the

member of the military and is valid for both personal and duty travel."

Our years of experience with terminology like "eligible active and retired members" has so far always included Reservists.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/CheckedBaggage.aspx

Dependents of active U.S. military personnel will have the same exemptions as the military service member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation."

It seems that there would be an extra step or two required at the airport -- getting the ID checked for eligibility, getting special luggage tags. I was just trying to find out if anyone had done this and how it worked out.

If you are making connections the rules of the first airline you check in at will apply. If your flying Air Canada connecting to United for example your only need to worry about the Air Canada rules. If your checking in at United and connecting to Air Canada then it would be the United rules.

My read of it is the rules are all written around the Canadian Military without making any distinction between regular forces, reserver or rangers. They also extend the same benefits to the US. I think your good. One difference between Canada and the US is the Canadian Coast Guard is considered a civilian (non-military) organisation.

I don't qualify for this benefit. What I can say about Air Canada, is at the smaller airports your dealing with a person any way. At the bigger airports at the checkin machines they have staff wondering around helping, if it is something special they just walk you over to a counter and do it manually. I would not worry to much about the process.

Edited by em-sk

em-sk, thank you. We are actually using Air Canada to get there and United to get back. We are flying into and out of different airports. Pretty complicated, but for us it's the best the way to do it.

With AC we will be checking our bags at Logan in Boston, so I imagine there will be kiosks.

I was just trying to find out if anyone had done this and how it worked out.

Right, but the policy clearly varies from airline to airline, now that you've identified the specific airlines involved, people can potentially let you know what their actual experience has been with THOSE specific airlines. ;)

Remember to get your Military waivers for bags you will need to go to the counter. The Kiosk is for people paying bag fees, it can't waive fees or read your Military Doc & ID. A real counter agent will have to handle so get to the airport early!

Edited by JVilleGal

em-sk, thank you. We are actually using Air Canada to get there and United to get back. We are flying into and out of different airports. Pretty complicated, but for us it's the best the way to do it.

With AC we will be checking our bags at Logan in Boston, so I imagine there will be kiosks.

Makes sense. I don't remember but I think Boston has the kiosk. That said for Air Canada it is not a major hub for them, I would not be overly worried there should be someone around to help.

It may be a good idea to contact the airlines you are flying on beforehand and get it in writing, so you can print it out and show it to the check-in agent, or so they can place a comment in your booking. I used to be a check-in supervisor for many years, and those at the check-in desk generally do not know all the little special provisions. Especially not if it is not "own staff" checking in, but contracted staff from a handling company (which maybe the case for you in Boston with AC, or from the return airport).

Even though every other company you've experienced "so far" has treated the words in a certain way, it a huge assumption that both Air Canada and United will match your experience, especially since neither specifically states reservists. When it comes to airlines, assume absolutely nothing!

Insane idea- why don't you contact both airlines and ask? Since free bags are guiding your choice of airlines, it's especially important to have clarity...preferably do it by email, so you have written proof when you check in with both airlines. Be sure to state your date of ticket purchase and the date travel....baggage rules are rapidly changing and what is in place today may be different a day or a month from now.

Edited by kenish

So... Has anyone done this? Is it a huge hassle?

Has anyone in the Reserves tried this with the white ID that looks identical to AD?

Are you thinking the reserves aren't included? But, since the card looks similar- it will "pass"?

As mentioned, call direct and get an official answer, then have them email you.