Princess Meet/Mingle ? & slow AK roll calls

mlbcruiser

If a roll call is pretty slow, does Princess still automatically hold a Meet & Mingle style gathering? I know they post the date/time in their daily newsletter, but what if the roll call isn't all that active? I also know (from having done it before) that they will try to work with specific roll call groups with strong roll call activity, as will other cruise lines.

It seems to me that many of the AK cruise roll calls are not as active as other destinations we've cruised to. Roll calls often get pretty active a few weeks prior to departure, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I thought maybe it was just the time of year or my perception, but some friends who has been twice in the past 3 years told me the roll call for their AK cruise also had very few posters and not much activity. :confused:

Thanks for any helpful info!

Edited by mlbcruiser

I do not believe Princess 'automatically' holds a Meet & Mingle. Someone on the ROLL CALL has to contact a person in charge of activities on that ship and make the arrangements. EM

Per above, someone on the roll call has to make arrangements with Princess to set up a Meet & Greet party ... otherwise, there won't be one.

We did an Informal M&G couple months ago on Crown. But you could

do this on almost any ship.

We said, First sea day, 11am, at a Bar that was officially closed but the doors were open. We just sat inside & visited for an hour.....

There we approx a dozen of us that showed up.

No name tags, or crew. Just a time & place. It works.

You can set up an Informal M&G and wing it like we did.

:)

For some reason Alaska M&Gs are very poorly attended and the roll calls very slow. I suspect it is because most CCers use the CC Alaska forum and have their tours all set up. We have attended Alaska M&Gs with as few as 4 and 5 attendees. Unlike Celebrity Princess does not set up the M&Gs, you must contact them for a venue and provide a suggested date and time. Very seldom will they put a notice of the M&G in the Patters.

Thanks for the help and input.

I posted another question re: the same thing after posting this one because when I checked a bit later, I couldn't find my original (this) post! Anyway, I have coordinated several Meet & Greets myself - both through the group coordinator or activities director (ship-sponsored) but more often an informal sailaway day M&G. A few lines (NCL and even Celebrity) went all out. The coordinator on Celebrity even sent out notices for 2 additional get togethers we had on that particular 12 day E Med. cruise. I just wasn't sure how Princess was handling these events now days. I know both RCI and Celebrity still have the registrations, though. In addition, some of the smallest gatherings have turned out to be the best in that we really had time to truly TALK to those who turned up. We once had a quick meet up on sailaway day on a cruise that only about 9 or 10 people attended. Yet we became friends with 5 of those who showed up (from 3 states), and we have cruised together again several times during the past 10 yrs. On one of our cruises there were actually TOO many people (over 200 on the Celebrity roll call and nearly all showed up at our ship sponsored Meet & Mingle! Far too many for it to be enjoyable and there wasn't nearly enough space!

Putterdude and abbydancer, perhaps you are right because even looking at other ships and dates, the AK roll calls are small as a rule. Exceptions, of course, but still . . .

Thank you for the input everyone.

If a roll call is pretty slow, does Princess still automatically hold a Meet & Mingle style gathering? I know they post the date/time in their daily newsletter, but what if the roll call isn't all that active? I also know (from having done it before) that they will try to work with specific roll call groups with strong roll call activity, as will other cruise lines.

It seems to me that many of the AK cruise roll calls are not as active as other destinations we've cruised to. Roll calls often get pretty active a few weeks prior to departure, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I thought maybe it was just the time of year or my perception, but some friends who has been twice in the past 3 years told me the roll call for their AK cruise also had very few posters and not much activity. :confused:

Thanks for any helpful info!

Princess does not arrange M&G's. These have to be organized by passengers. Princess does have a contact in CA to help the passenger obtain a location. Location depends on the size of the group. Princess will have a bartender available if the group is large enough. I have also seen them put out some bar snacks for large groups. Ship's officers don't automatically attend Princess M&G's. They have to be invited by the organizer, once the organizer has boarded the ship.

Princess does not place any announcements in the Princess Patter. I don't know where you have seen this, but it wasn't on a Princess ship, at least not in the last ten years.

Alaska cruises have lots of first timers, families, cruisetour and new to Princess passengers. Most of the seasoned cruisers, that normally arrange roll calls, have already been to Alaska. This could be one reason roll calls are slow.

SKnight, I don't think it has anything at all to do with the fact that seasoned cruisers set up the roll calls and have already been to AK before. I am a seasoned cruiser (40 cruises) and still set them up when cruising in areas I've cruised before. I've also attended a couple when someone who has maybe only been on one cruise before has set one up.

I found this somewhere on this website several wks. ago, copied and pasted it onto my roll call. Not sure how old it is and don't have time to search around for where I found it at the moment, but this is where is talks about the Princess Patter posting (read the paragraph about the words "If you sign up, Go!":

FROM THE CC WEBSITE

Princess Cruises Meet & Mingle

Join Cruise Critic members who have chatted with one another on our Princess Cruises community prior to their cruise. You've interacted with each other for weeks, months...some of you for years! Cruise lines appreciate and recognize your loyalty and want to make your cruise vacation special. Don't pass on an opportunity to meet each other. You'll be glad you did!

How to Set Up Your Princess Meet & Mingle

Meet & Mingle Online Before Your Cruise

Find your Princess Roll Call using our Roll Call Tool. Then, join discussion before your cruise to find out who you'll be sailing with, make new friends and perhaps even share a shore excursion or two!

The information below has been confirmed to us by Princess Cruises. We appreciate the generosity of Princess Cruises in setting up these gatherings as they recognize the loyalty of Cruise Critic members. However, it should not be expected that each ship will offer the same amenities, or anything at all. Remember, too, that paid groups on board may take precedence over non-paid groups, and there are often many groups on board vying for the same space. All of the above said, get started with the party planning!

Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle parties will be held on all Princess Cruises sailings. Please check the daily activities program, called Princess Patters, for notification regarding the day, location and time of the event. Should you wish to pre-arrange the Meet & Mingle for your sailing, please contact Princess Cruises Customer Service at 1-800-PRINCESS. Please make sure your efforts are coordinated so that only ONE person contacts Princess Cruises.

If You Sign Up, GO!

We know there were SO MANY choices on board it is easy to see how it would be tempting to skip the Meet & Mingle, but DON'T! You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much effort is put into these gatherings by the staff on board. Make it worth their while, too. They truly want to meet you (and you can get a few nice pics with them, too!). Also, don't sign up just so a party will be held. It is disappointing to members, as well as the staff on board, to have only a few show up -- when they were anticipating a crowd.

At any rate, since there are only a few who are interested on our sailing, it isn't worth contacting Princess about it and they'd not bother setting up a venue for so few.

I have seen a couple of mentions in the Patters for a CC meet and greet, including the one I planned for the cruise we had after I joined this site. But with all the groups that are meeting, it's up to the CD to decide what he or she can mention, so I suggest not being ticked off if your meeting doesn't get in.

Sometimes, a group might just set up a time and place without going through Princess (more flexibility that way). Just suggest people make a stop at the Horizon or International Cafe for some munchies and a stop at a bar for a drink. I don't consider having the captain and other staff there as a way to gauge a meet and greet's success. They could be quite busy, and in reality, only a small percentage of those on board may have ever heard of this site.

If I begin a roll call I set up a meet and greet through the Princess coordinator. I also pay for tea and coffee service if the number attending is less than 30 folks. Princess provides an open bar. I send invites to the senior officers when I board the ship and have their names. As this is regarded as a private party it will not be announced in the Patter. I create a spreadsheet of who plans to attend but in reality it is usually about 50% of that. Whoever meets has a lovely time and enjoys meeting new people who share their joy in cruising.