Drinks Package Gratuities ?

Bruce62

Hi,

Im looking at the drinks package, and paying in £s here in the UK, before we travel, but have a couple of questions...

1. I have had a look at the prices, and this works for us, but I can't work out if the package will also cover the gratuities...any help?

2. I have assumed that both of us will need to purchase the package..Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Im looking at the drinks package, and paying in £s here in the UK, before we travel, but have a couple of questions...

1. I have had a look at the prices, and this works for us, but I can't work out if the package will also cover the gratuities...any help?

2. I have assumed that both of us will need to purchase the package..Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Pricing in UK includes the gratuity while pricing in US has gratuity added to the purchase price. Either way, there is no additional gratuity when you get a drink under the package, unless you choose to give one to a particular bartender for great service.

No, both people do not need to buy the package. One can buy it, and use it for their drinks alone, while the other either buys no package and pays-as-they-go, or buys a soda and more package or whatnot. Packages are per person, no sharing, however there's no rule that everyone in a cabin has to buy a package or no one can. If your other person doesn't drink much, they can not buy a package and pay-as-they-go... Just no sharing of packages - with one exception, and that is the discounted bottles of wine. AIBP package holders can buy bottles of wine $100 and less at a 40% discount and share those bottles with whomever they like..

Edited by reedprincess

The price does include gratuity, as Iron Maiden's No1 fan stated before.

My wife doesn't drink alcohol. I had the all inclusive package, but my wife was not required to have any package at all. My eldest son had the soda n more package, but my other son is a health nut who only drinks water and took no package. I think it is nice that Princess doesn't force everyone in a family (group) to take the same beverage package. This is not the case on a number of other lines that we have sailed together (NCL, RCCL, & Celebrity for sure).

The price does include gratuity, as Iron Maiden's No1 fan stated before.

My wife doesn't drink alcohol. I had the all inclusive package, but my wife was not required to have any package at all. My eldest son had the soda n more package, but my other son is a health nut who only drinks water and took no package. I think it is nice that Princess doesn't force everyone in a family (group) to take the same beverage package. This is not the case on a number of other lines that we have sailed together (NCL, RCCL, & Celebrity for sure).

Neither Celebrity or Royal Caribbean have a requirement for all persons in a cabin to buy a package or none can. And they haven't for years. Royal changed their policy in fall of 2014, and Celebrity changed theirs in 2012 or so...if you were told different, that's a shame, but it hasn't been either line's policy for years...

Neither Celebrity or Royal Caribbean have a requirement for all persons in a cabin to buy a package or none can. And they haven't for years. Royal changed their policy in fall of 2014, and Celebrity changed theirs in 2012 or so...if you were told different, that's a shame, but it hasn't been either line's policy for years...

MSC requires each passenger in the cabin to have the same package? We are both very light drinkers so no package for us, however out TA gifted us a wine/water package. Our dining companions made good use of the wine, not very nice, but I'm not much of a judge of wine and the water was great as you are charged for water at the dining room.

No requirement that each person in a cabin buy a package. People who want a package can buy one; any other people in the room can purchase a different package or no package--totally your choice.

Yes, the package includes the gratuity. In the UK, it is quoted in the price, in the US it is added on (a $4.50 soda package will be billed at $5 per night). In either case, there is no additional gratuity when you get something on the package--you've already paid the gratuity at the time you purchased the package.

SO, you can choose your package. Your spouse can choose no package. BUT package is for one person only. No sharing. If you buy that all inclusive package, you can order a bottle of wine at 40% off and share that as you wish. But if you order a glass of wine, that is for you.

MSC requires each passenger in the cabin to have the same package? We are both very light drinkers so no package for us, however out TA gifted us a wine/water package. Our dining companions made good use of the wine, not very nice, but I'm not much of a judge of wine and the water was great as you are charged for water at the dining room.

I have no personal knowledge of MSCs policies as we've not sailed them yet. From perusing their website, it appears all adults in the cabin have to buy a package, but couldn't tell you feom experience whether that's the case.

For what it's worth, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival and Holland America all also charge for bottled water.. Don't know about other lines, but it's pretty common to charge for bottles of water while ship's water is included in your fare. MSC isn't unusual in that policy.

As this is the Princess board, let's stick to Princes policies. Drink package pricing includes gratuity in UK, while its added to the cost in the US, and no additional gratuity is necessary.

Packages are per person, can be bought by only one in a cabin, and bottles of wine bought by the package holder can be shared but norhing else..

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Grats included.

You don't have to both purchase it if only one of you drinks, but you shouldn't share drinks.

Hi, am thinking about purchasing the package.

Is it better to purchase before we go, ie in GBP or when we board ie USD.

Depends on what you think will happen £ against $ exchange rate.

Its $1.40 at the moment , if you think it will go up ,Wait, down .buy now.

When do you sail.I lot can happen with the Euro Referendum

There is no good way to predict this. It totally depends on the exchange rate you can get. I will tell you that unless something dramatic happens in the world, the variation is not likely to be great. My daughter was in school in London 2014/2015. During that time, the rate ranged from $1.41 to $1.50 per GDP. It has continued in the same range thru 2016.

When we purchased ours about a year ago, the exchange rate was set at the beginning of the selling of the cruise - so it was $1.66 whereas the ER at the time was about $1.54:D:D (same applied for pre-paid gratuities).

Run the numbers - I think you will probably be well in on the ER.