Boarding with Anxiety

new2cruisingg

If you decide that you are too anxious once onboard, check out Carnival's Vacation Guarantee.

Need to let them know within the first 24 hours of the cruise and you'll need a valid passport.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

Sometimes having an 'out' makes it easier.

Wow, that's awesome. Sounds like Carnival is a good choice for the OP, as long as s/he has a valid passport.

If crowds are an issue and you didn't book FTTF, I recommend showing up to the dock later as opposed to earlier ( if the ship leaves at 4 pm, show up at 130 or 2 as opposed to lining up at 1030 along with the other cattle) you would be amazed how much smoother the embarkation process is at that time. Add to that that rooms are normally ready at around 1 pm, so one you get on board, you can access your room right away....good luck and have fun

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for the quick response :). We are leaving from Port Canaveral , and we some how decided our first cruise should be an 8 day Cruise (not sure wth we were thinking LOL) :eek: The Ship is the Valor. I really want to have a good time and do this, but I can't help but be a little nervous :confused:... OK alot nervous! :p Thanks Again Everyone!!

Can you tell us what it is you're nervous about, perhaps we can help allay your concerns.

OP - I feel your pain. I love to cruise and do any kind of travel (I hate to fly but that is another issue) My anxiety begins about two weeks before I leave home. It doesn't matter if dh and I are cruising or doing a road trip or flying to our former home. The anxiety is all the same. It gets worse every day until the day we leave. No it isn't just going with dh. I do sister's trips road and cruises and I suffer the same thing. The night before we leave I have a terrible time sleeping. I get up and I always feel scarred, sick and anxious. But wait....... As soon as I leave and get to the event the fear, sickness, anxiety goes away as if it never happened.

My most recent attack was two weeks ago. A sister's cruise and my sisters came to my house and spent the night before we left. It didn't help one bit. But by the time we got on the highway the anxiety was gone and didn't appear again.

Luckily for me dh is great. He kind of understands and reminds me every time it gets bad that it will be fine. He also goes thru a little drill telling me he is going to "pump me up" he flaps my arms up and down and after he starts we both usually end up laughing.

Now I don't know if you have the same thing, but please don't let this stop you from going!

Life is too short to stop you from doing what you love to do. Good luck and I hope you go on your cruise.

As others have said, probably the most anxiety provoking is boarding the ship. You could ask on your Roll Call if an experienced cruiser could guide you through that half hour, from checking in all the way to a relaxing cocktail in a quite place, waiting for your room to be ready.

Also, rest assured that there is a huge amount of crew who's only job it is to make you enjoying your vacation. You can ask anyone to help you and you certainly wouldn't be the first one being a bit anxious about cruising.

One other option might be to just call the cruise line and tell them you may need some assistance.

Not exactly a thrill seeker myself, for instance I simply won't fly, I'd say cruising is almost the definition of relaxation. Once on board, your hotel literally does the travelling for you. You could even stay in your room for the entire cruise if you wanted to, but I'm sure you wouldn't!:)

Since you are sailing Carnival I want to offer you some advice.

My son was 17 when he last sailed on Carnival this past August. He has such a sever anxiety disorder our home school district decided that they couldn't cope with his needs, and sent him to a school that includes therapists IN the class room if that gives you any indication of how bad he is.

Carnival was AMAZING about him!

First I would suggest getting FTTF (Faster to the Fun) for your sailing if it is still available. It was $50 per room last August. It gives you priority embarkation, debarkation and tendering. It ALSO makes it so your room are ready as soon as you board! For anxiety issues, the $50 was well worth it knowing my son could go into our room if needed at anytime after we boarded. They can sell out very quickly on sailings though. Ours sold out about 5 months before hand. If you can book it (under Excursions in Port Canaveral) don't hesitate!

Also if you are worried about crowds AND can provide doctors documentation of your anxiety if asked, you can contact the Carnival Special Needs Department. This wasn't our first cruise so for us it wasn't an issue to actually go to it, but we got a totally private muster drill for my son. I knew he wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd of people standing for it.

As for Rkacruiser's statement of "if you needs anti-anxiety medicine to embark a cruise, this isn't the experience for you!" don't pay attention to that. You can tell it come from someone w/o an anxiety disorder. My son needs acute medicine to go shopping during the weekends, heck I need it to go shopping during the Holiday season because I can't cope with that many people at once! We are fine once we can have our "space" to get away from people when needed. But the thought of locked in the embarkation zone with 1000's of others just waiting to be let on? Not something either of us can deal with!

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for something to make the ability to get on the ship easier! You don't even need a bunch of them. My son's Dr from school gives up a prescription of 5 pills for travel when we go somewhere. If it is a new medicine, I would also suggest asking for an extra one or two, just so you know how it will effect you!

Well done. I applaud your post as well as those others with helpful suggestions. Fun and vacations should be available to all not just fully able, no problem's people. Getting a balcony cabin if within budget maybe helpful. Fresh air can be very beneficial if panic sets in. Cabins can be a little claustrophobic for some.

Can you clarify further what you are feeling anxious about? If you don't mind sharing, I think that perhaps we can help put your mind at ease. For example, if you are nervous about being on a ship in the middle of the ocean, I can tell you that the ships are so large you can easily forget that you are even on one. They really feel more like large hotels.

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing, I think you'll find many helpful people here. Anxiety is more common than you think. I have severe anxiety when it comes to flying (I'm talking full blown panic attacks). I always used to take Xanax whenever I would fly, but last year found out that I can't take it any more due to a heart condition. So I had to survive my flights last fall without it. And I did survive them just fine. It is possible to overcome your fears, I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This not meant to sound too clinical but if you are so anxious, don't travel. There are other things you can do and feel more comfortable (and save your money).

Edited by wally_bushy

Hello Everyone! I have never been on a cruise before and my family and I have booked our first one in August of this year. Also I have major travel Anxiety. My question is on Embarkation day when I board the ship lets say for some reason i don't like it can you get off of the ship? Or is it after you clear customs and board the ship you HAVE to stay on. I am trying to get as much information before going. TIA! :o:eek::eek::confused:

As you can see,there are many people that will and can help you.

There will be many people that will help you immediately,should the need arise.

There are many people you can contact via roll calls who will help you,and make sure you are ok,during embarkation and during the cruise.

Cruisers on your cruise who know your plight,will take great pride in watching you grow and enjoy yourself.And will be there if you fall.But wont intrude.

Believe me lots of times i have the Fight or Flight feeling,and is managed by a loving partner and meds.You are not alone.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise,and by getting through it and enjoying the experience,down the track you could be the one helping others with a similar issue.

To all the negative posters on this thread you should truly be ashamed of yourselves and i hope,one day i meet you and you say the same thing to me.

And you should note there isnt to many negatives.

Go forth,experience,enjoy,satisfy your curiosity,grow and spread the love

Edited by mrs and mrs

As you can see,there are many people that will and can help you.

There will be many people that will help you immediately,should the need arise.

There are many people you can contact via roll calls who will help you,and make sure you are ok,during embarkation and during the cruise.

Cruisers on your cruise who know your plight,will take great pride in watching you grow and enjoy yourself.And will be there if you fall.But wont intrude.

Believe me lots of times i have the Fight or Flight feeling,and is managed by a loving partner and meds.You are not alone.

I truly hope you enjoy your cruise,and by getting through it and enjoying the experience,down the track you could be the one helping others with a similar issue.

To all the negative posters on this thread you should truly be ashamed of yourselves and i hope,one day i meet you and you say the same thing to me.

And you should note there isnt to many negatives.

Go forth,experience,enjoy,satisfy your curiosity,grow and spread the love

Well said!

To the OP: I will share with you later my experience. Gotta head off to work now so I can pay

for me next cruise.

Hi So I feel your question has been answered.

Might I suggest?

For most people the pre trip planning and imagining oneself on vacation is part of the fun.

In your mind you have made the decision to cruise thus "making reservations."

Your mind is a powerful tool.

In your mind you have your family including yourself "arriving to the cruise ship from your destination."

Good!

Now in your mind you are on the ship but looking for an exit. ;/

Now....just practice in your mind not looking for an exit but going straight to your cabin and unpacking or having lunch etc....

We are not sure what is creating the anxiety but I am sure the good people here can give you the tools to lessen the anxiety.

I have anxiety being around a lot of people in public places but am able to find quiet places on the ship!

Start your vacation today! by thinking about the "fun" memories you will create with your family.

You are guaranteed an exit off the ship! So have fun and focus what extrusions you will take!

Hello Everyone! I have never been on a cruise before and my family and I have booked our first one in August of this year. Also I have major travel Anxiety. My question is on Embarkation day when I board the ship lets say for some reason i don't like it can you get off of the ship? Or is it after you clear customs and board the ship you HAVE to stay on. I am trying to get as much information before going. TIA! :o:eek::eek::confused:

It is great that you are reaching out now for an August cruise. You have plenty of time to work with a therapist to help you develop some coping strategies. As a frequent cruiser I have found some plans that work for me. 1. Carry a light snack and a bottle of water when you board so if you get hungry you don't have to deal with the crowds at the restaurants right off. 2. If your cabin is not ready look for the ships library or game room as they are quiet spaces throughout the entire cruise. (I retreat to them myself) 3. Check out the higher outside decks, they are often less crowded. Most important take in deep breathes of the wonderful ocean air.

Ignore the haters posts! Some people are just plain ignorant!

Diana

Since you are sailing Carnival I want to offer you some advice.

My son was 17 when he last sailed on Carnival this past August. He has such a sever anxiety disorder our home school district decided that they couldn't cope with his needs, and sent him to a school that includes therapists IN the class room if that gives you any indication of how bad he is.

Carnival was AMAZING about him!

First I would suggest getting FTTF (Faster to the Fun) for your sailing if it is still available. It was $50 per room last August. It gives you priority embarkation, debarkation and tendering. It ALSO makes it so your room are ready as soon as you board! For anxiety issues, the $50 was well worth it knowing my son could go into our room if needed at anytime after we boarded. They can sell out very quickly on sailings though. Ours sold out about 5 months before hand. If you can book it (under Excursions in Port Canaveral) don't hesitate!

Also if you are worried about crowds AND can provide doctors documentation of your anxiety if asked, you can contact the Carnival Special Needs Department. This wasn't our first cruise so for us it wasn't an issue to actually go to it, but we got a totally private muster drill for my son. I knew he wouldn't be able to cope with the crowd of people standing for it.

As for Rkacruiser's statement of "if you needs anti-anxiety medicine to embark a cruise, this isn't the experience for you!" don't pay attention to that. You can tell it come from someone w/o an anxiety disorder. My son needs acute medicine to go shopping during the weekends, heck I need it to go shopping during the Holiday season because I can't cope with that many people at once! We are fine once we can have our "space" to get away from people when needed. But the thought of locked in the embarkation zone with 1000's of others just waiting to be let on? Not something either of us can deal with!

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for something to make the ability to get on the ship easier! You don't even need a bunch of them. My son's Dr from school gives up a prescription of 5 pills for travel when we go somewhere. If it is a new medicine, I would also suggest asking for an extra one or two, just so you know how it will effect you!

Excellent advice Jasalth! I would also add to contact Carnival Special Needs. Let them know of your disability (yes, it is a disability). You should be able to board with the disabled group if you do not get FTTF. It won't get you into your stateroom early, but it will be a little bit less time waiting in the crowded waiting room.

Also, head for the Serenity Deck when you board. This is usually the time when it is the least crowded. You can send your cruisemate up to the Lido to bring food back to you there.

The key is really to find out where the quiet places are on the ship and use those places to decompress.

Happy sailing!!

To the OP: I am back from work and wanted to offer my support.

I have been an avid cruiser with over 20

completed cruises.

My dream was always to travel to the Med so

I bit the bullet and booked for a Sept 2013

cruise. As the months passed, I became more

and more anxious thinking about being stuck

on a plane for 9 hours.

I couldn't sleep, lost weight as I couldn't eat

and was absolutely terrified.

However, more than my fear of being trapped

was a fear of fulfilling a life long dream.

Thanks to a great support system of friends

and the support of the wonderful people

here on CC, I realized my dream.

I finally made it to the Vatican, a promise

I made to my Mom 50 years earlier, visited Ephesus

and stood at the site where St Paul preached

to take Ephesians, climbed to the top

of the Acropolis with my son on a Sunday

and looked down on Athens with every church

bell ringing at 9am.

It truly was an out of body experience.

It changed my mindset and will be returning

in Sept.

I also booked a cruise for 2017 to

the Western Med. I will feel stress, I

will take Xanax if needed, but I will forge

on and you can too!

Please let me know if I can help you

further. You are not alone!

Embarkation day is very busy in the port terminal and on the ship, so you might want to take an Ativan or something to help you through that part. Once you are on the ship, I would find a quiet place to sit (library or card room on the ship), because the crowds are at there worst on the first day. Whatever you do, don't go to the buffet for lunch when you board, because there are tons of people there. Maybe you can even ask at the Guest Services desk if you can get your room early to avoid the crowds of people due to your anxiety.

Well said. If you are that anxious, stay home where it is "safe"

You obviously have had no experience with anxiety or panic disorders.

Someone who suffers from this should not be "blown off" with a statement to "stay home". Instead they should be encouraged to be brave and try to do everything they desire to do. Sometimes all it takes is the support from friends and family that helps the person cope.

Please have compassion for others, even if you don't understand what they are going through because this could easily be you or someone in your family!

Someone who suffers from this should not be "blown off" with a statement to "stay home". Instead they should be encouraged to be brave and try to do everything they desire to do. Sometimes all it takes is the support from friends and family that helps the person cope.

Please have compassion for others, even if you don't understand what they are going through because this could easily be you or someone in your family!

Well said!! I don't suffer from this but if we all love cruising why would you not want to be extra supportive to someone like this who needs our encouragement and support not ridicule.

BRAVA! :)

OP, I hope you are able to see the support you are getting here! For me, I never know exactly what is going to cause an attack (other than flying -- that one is guaranteed). But remember your coping strategies, remember that the attack always passes. I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise!

My husband always wanted to try a cruise but I was worried about the unknown of the cruise. I am afraid of tunnels, elevators and any closed in spaces. (Not worried about crowds, just closed in spaces.)

Well, my mother in law wanted to take the family on an Alaskan cruise so I couldn't just say "I'm afraid, so we aren't going". I bit the bullet and went.

That was nine years and about 14 cruises ago! I was having so much fun that I never thought about any of my worries (although I do make sure we get a balcony room just so I can feel at ease!).

Lots of luck to you -- I hope you fall in love with cruising as much as I have!