Voom Surf vs Regular Internet Pkg...Differences?

I'm planning on hooking up to the ship's internet, but I'm not understanding which is better: Voom Surf or the Regular internet package. I noticed there's a sale on the Voom Surf, but i don't quite get the difference between the two. What's the difference?

I'm planning on hooking up to the ship's internet, but I'm not understanding which is better: Voom Surf or the Regular internet package. I noticed there's a sale on the Voom Surf, but i don't quite get the difference between the two. What's the difference?

Surf & Stream is for streaming video, Surf only is for lower bandwidth functions such as email, messaging, etc.

Freedom has real Voom so you should ignore the "regular" Internet package in the planner (that is left over from previous pricing). I would buy the SURF package and for some reason it's not fast enough, upgrade once on board. Also, if you don't need to use more than one device at a time you can get the single device package.

Edited by Biker19

We have IPhones. How about sharing a package with another family?:)

There's no restriction as far as I know on the number of devices that can share one package - you just can't have more than one device connected at a time.

We are on Jewel in July and I am considering one of the internet packages but am admittedly a little confused about a couple of points. Would we need the VoomSurf + Stream for using Skype? And how well does it work at sea?

Also, I have read that Jewel of the Seas only offers "hotspots" around the ship. I was hoping this is old info as it has been in dry dock recently and would expect to find the wifi available throughout the ship now. Anybody know what the situation is? Thanks.

Does anyone have the current on board prices for Voom please. Pre purchase is showing as £6.99 and £9.09. Wondering if it is a "real" 30%off or not [emoji848]

Based on one report, the break even point to pre-purchase Voom is a cruise 7 days or longer if you have a Diamond discount. ($3/ day savings if you pre purchase, $20 D discount on board).

We are on Jewel in July and I am considering one of the internet packages but am admittedly a little confused about a couple of points. Would we need the VoomSurf + Stream for using Skype? And how well does it work at sea?

Also, I have read that Jewel of the Seas only offers "hotspots" around the ship. I was hoping this is old info as it has been in dry dock recently and would expect to find the wifi available throughout the ship now. Anybody know what the situation is? Thanks.

If you are asking about Skype voice calling only, then the lower package should suffice. However, if you are asking about Skype video, then you would need the streaming option. Jewel now has pervasive WiFi.

Based on a recent report, you should have good reception most places. SURF should be enough for a voice Skype call but might not be enough if you want to do video. There's very little reporting of the difference between the two tiers since that just came out.

What I noticed on Oasis with the non-stream package was that web-site videos (like weather forecasts) would start and then time out. Got to be very annoying when going to a site which starts with a commercial, because often this caused the page to completely hang.

In general pages loaded faster than they do at home. Email was a breeze, including uploading photos.

What I noticed on Oasis with the non-stream package was that web-site videos (like weather forecasts) would start and then time out. Got to be very annoying when going to a site which starts with a commercial, because often this caused the page to completely hang....

This sounds like that slower package shuts down a sustained high data rate.

Thanks for the replies folks. That's been really useful. Might just go for the lesser Surf package, do skype calls without video, and see how that goes.

Please report back on the performance, whichever way you decide to go.

Edited by clarea

Voom prices on Ovation.... Only $20 discount for Diamond off these prices?????

7 day surf 90.93 1 device

167.86 2 devices

240.79 3 devices

278.72 4 devices

314.65 5 devices

24hr stream 27.99

7 day stream 125.93 1 device

223.86 2 devices

314.79 3 devices

391.72 4 devices

419.65 5 devices

Some prices seem off...??

1 day surf 36

1 day stream 48

24 hr surf 19.99

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

this is what is available on board for our TA I guess discount coupon is for my D Discount

2 Device - SURF Voyage Package

•*** BEST VALUE FOR COUPLES ***

•$11.99 per device per day - 40% off Day Pass

•Surf the web, check email and post pics on 2 devices at the same time for the rest of your voyage !

•The perfect package for 2 to stay connected.

$311.74

$291.75 with Diamond coupon

Select

1 Device - SURF Voyage Package

•$12.99 per day - 35% off Day Pass

•Surf the web, check email and post pics using 1 device for the rest of your voyage !

$168.87

$148.88 with Diamond coupon

I paid $118($9.07 a day)So I'm saving $50 by prepaying

An extra $30 over my Diamond discount

Read in our roll call that the internet prices on board the 3rd May Ovation cruise had increase. :eek:

That may or not mean anything for the other markets - maybe they are just raising prices due to the re-positioning of the ship.

I can chime in here as i'm a systems administrator and i work with this all the time.

When you buy stream package, you get the full compliment of what speed the network has to offer.

If you buy the surf package, what happens is that they throttle you account back to slow it down. So in other words you start very fast but than the throttling comes into play to slow it. It may start fast but than quickly slows down

This is why some of the other posts here were described as "the pages load good such as weather but than got choppy" the choppy part is the throttling that is coming into play.

Surf should suffice for basic email and web surfing (no you tube).

If you want to you tube or post videos/pictures, Skype or play Netflix than you would need the stream package.

Hope this helps!

TG

I can chime in here as i'm a systems administrator and i work with this all the time.

When you buy stream package, you get the full compliment of what speed the network has to offer.

If you buy the surf package, what happens is that they throttle you account back to slow it down. So in other words you start very fast but than the throttling comes into play to slow it. It may start fast but than quickly slows down

This is why some of the other posts here were described as "the pages load good such as weather but than got choppy" the choppy part is the throttling that is coming into play.

Surf should suffice for basic email and web surfing (no you tube).

If you want to you tube or post videos/pictures, Skype or play Netflix than you would need the stream package.

Hope this helps!

TG

Thank you :)