Dress code in dining room

Could someone please explain the differences between formal, smart casual, and casual dining and what is enforced? Ex.. Is a suit coat absolutely required, etc...

Here is what the cruise line suggests:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

However, nothing is enforced, so you are free to ignore the dress suggestions.

I see no difference between casual and smart casual nights.

Casual would be shorts or jeans, and a T-shirt. Smart casual would be khakis and a polo. As for formal, the only place I've heard a jacket being required is in The Grande on the Anthem (and, I assume, Quantum and Ovation). I heard they're supplied if you don't have one.

On the Radiance last summer, we stayed smart casual on formal night and did not feel out of place, as we were hardly the only ones. I'd guess less than half were actually dressed formal. The only time I heard anything said about it, was during a contest in the Centrum, the activities director nicknamed one of the contestants "Jeans on Formal Night", and that was said in fun.

Casual would be shorts or jeans, and a T-shirt. Smart casual would be khakis and a polo. As for formal, the only place I've heard a jacket being required is in The Grande on the Anthem (and, I assume, Quantum and Ovation). I heard they're supplied if you don't have one.

Casual would NOT be shorts since they are specifically not permitted. Casual would be khakis and a polo - smart casual really isn't used anymore but once was a sport coat and slacks.

On the Radiance last summer, we stayed smart casual on formal night and did not feel out of place, as we were hardly the only ones. I'd guess less than half were actually dressed formal. The only time I heard anything said about it, was during a contest in the Centrum, the activities director nicknamed one of the contestants "Jeans on Formal Night", and that was said in fun.

OP specifically asked about the dining room. Casual in the dining room does not include shorts at dinner. Some may wear them and the rule is not enforced, but there are also numerous reports of people being asked to change.

Definitely dress is not as formal as it used to be. However, I would define casual and smart casual to be almost the same. Dresses, skirts, pants, or Capri pants for women with coordinating tops. Men mostly wear long pants and collared shirts. On formal night there are not as many tuxs, but a large percentage of men wear a suit or sports coat, or at least a dress shirt with tie. Women still tend to be fairly dressy in all kinds of dresses, skirts, sparkly tops, etc.

I also think the ship and length of the cruise make a difference. Just returned from 10 days on the Serenade and I would say most people wore the suggested dress. On 7-day Oasis last year it was more casual.

I still follow the old school definition. Formal is tux, smart is dress pants, collared shirt and blazer, casual is khakis with a golf shirt. The ladies would follow with gown, dress and pants.

This is my preference as I enjoy it and respect whatever anyone else cares to wear.

While they still state "smart casual" in their written stuff, you won't find that on the ships anymore. Now, it's casual or formal....but not very many nowadays go "formal". Dress nicely and you'll be fine. You don't need a suit or gown.