Live from Oceania Sirena: First Impressions

LauraS

I like this,

"The second thing to clarify: the pronunciation of the ship's name. While we were onboard Sirena's christening voyage, we heard all manner of interpretations. There was "sir-inna," "thienna" and a singsong version that rolls the r's. Fortunately, at the ship's christening ceremony, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings President and CEO Frank del Rio put everyone's fear to rest, saying he pronounces it like the tennis player (Serena Williams, natch). You could hear a sign of relief rolling through the assembled throng like the wave at a baseball stadium."

Someone better get a flash email out to the Future Cruise Consultants on board as the ones on both Riviera and Marina have been calling it SiRAYna.

Of course, just like Oceania, people are going to pronounce it as they want to, even when it's pointed out to them they're wrong.

Someone better get a flash email out to the Future Cruise Consultants on board as the ones on both Riviera and Marina have been calling it SiRAYna.

And to the Nautica as well...interesting that we were on the Nautica last fall and they mentioned that FDR specifically said that it was pronounced as si-ray-na...

They're all over the place with the pronunciation, in the Christening video, Frank says it one way, Montague another.

Leslie Jon, as is his way, remembers that if the fish hadn't have opened his mouth, he would never have gotten caught. ;)

They're all over the place with the pronunciation, in the Christening video, Frank says it one way, Montague another.

Leslie Jon, as is his way, remembers that if the fish hadn't have opened his mouth, he would never have gotten caught. ;)

Huh? Don't understand the comment about Leslie.

You are right though, lots of different pronunciations in the video.

Frances

I guess I'm going to have to make the effort to make a mental shift since I assumed SiRAYna from the get-go ... Serena, Serena, Serena ...

So why didn't they spell it that way??????

Just asking ...

Mura

I guess I'm going to have to make the effort to make a mental shift since I assumed SiRAYna from the get-go ... Serena, Serena, Serena ...

So why didn't they spell it that way??????

Just asking ...

Mura

They DID spell it that way -- Serena, as in Williams! That's the way most English speakers would pronounce it. :)

They DID spell it that way -- Serena, as in Williams! That's the way most English speakers would pronounce it. :)

Kind of what I thought, Sirena. Just say Siren, you know, like a fire truck has on it, and add an A.

I think the point Mura and I were raising is if they wished to call her and pronounce her name as SERENA they should have named her SERENA (instead of SIRENA).

If the folks in the audience were relieved at clarifying that, executives didn't really change however they pronounced it so it was still all over the place. Funny in a way.

Carolyn

I like this,

"The second thing to clarify: the pronunciation of the ship's name. While we were onboard Sirena's christening voyage, we heard all manner of interpretations. There was "sir-inna," "thienna" and a singsong version that rolls the r's. Fortunately, at the ship's christening ceremony, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings President and CEO Frank del Rio put everyone's fear to rest, saying he pronounces it like the tennis player (Serena Williams, natch). You could hear a sign of relief rolling through the assembled throng like the wave at a baseball stadium."

Of course, just like Oceania, people are going to pronounce it as they want to, even when it's pointed out to them they're wrong.

I think the point Mura and I were raising is if they wished to call her and pronounce her name as SERENA they should have named her SERENA (instead of SIRENA).

My bad -- I was thinking it was spelled Serena. It's Sirena, of course. I apologize for the dumb post! :o

Don't worry about it ... we've all made our share of, well not DUMB posts, but somewhat erroneous ones!

Mura

Lol...you want dumb, for some weird reason, whenever I say Marina ( for the O ship) I have to catch myself before pronouncing it Mare-in-a (almost like the pasta sauce, but not quite). But, when talking about a generic boat marina, I have no problem saying Ma-reen-a.

I would drive every one nuts with Sirena...I had been thinking it was pronounced

Seer-Rena- with a tad of an r roll.

Don't worry about it ... we've all made our share of, well not DUMB posts, but somewhat erroneous ones!

Mura

Guilty as charged :D

Not to worry Rumpymuffin - simple misunderstanding.