DSC for happy cruisers

Just curious what people consider going "above and beyond" for a room steward. I've never had a steward who has done anything more than the expected clean the room and change the towels.

Thanks.

For me, it's personal preference. I tip $40 to the stew because I choose to.

Having cruised 4 times with NCL, all in mini suites we have tipped anywhere from $0.00 for "lack of service" (or bs stories ) to $50.00 for pretty good service and $100.00 for terrific service...Personality does count and so does the level of services provided by either the room steward or the Assit room steward...Depends on the ship and the attitude, we never ask for much and appreciate good service and recognize what "eh" service is as well...You can always feel the presence of a good hardworking "Steward" without even seeing them most of the time...We "tip" according to the level of service we receive and again, we ask for very little if at all...

Next cruise is a 10 day eastern Carib cruise in an aft facing suite on the Jade in Jan of 2017...A Re-schedule of a cancelled cruise...Can not wait...

Rob:cool:

And that's very nice of you, but are you saying that even for the basic service you tip 40 bucks extra regardless?

Pretty much.

The stews have, in my experience, been extremely attentive, friendly, and good at their jobs. I would have no problem busting that $40 down to $0 if the service sucked that bad. For me, though, that just hasn't ever been the case.

Just curious what people consider going "above and beyond" for a room steward. I've never had a steward who has done anything more than the expected clean the room and change the towels.

Thanks.

Neither have I, but anyone who is cleaning up after me is getting tipped!

Thanks.

I agree. What is above and beyond? I have never had a steward on a mass market ship do anything more than what they are supposed to do as part of their job.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what this above and beyond really means?

Citation needed.

I can't give citations because some of the information I found can't be discussed out here -- or at least not the source of it.

But read NCL's own explanation of the DSC and you will see it is carefully worded to SOUND like tips, while cautiously avoiding stating that it goes directly to the crew (or that removing it subtracts from crew pay).

That's because it doesn't.

The DSC is somewhat similar to the resort fees that many hotels charge nowadays.

It is their way of guaranteeing a better rate of pay than crew members used to be guaranteed, while taking a lot of the "luck" out of crew pay (which used to be highly tip dependent). It also solved the inequity to where certain employees got tipped far more than others depending upon their visibility and interaction level with guests.

I agree. What is above and beyond? I have never had a steward on a mass market ship do anything more than what they are supposed to do as part of their job.

On the Breakaway last year, our steward took the time to respond to notes that our boys left him each day, made them each their own towel animal every night, and while they were probably free, delivered them cookies for their last night.

While not that big a deal to some, he was wonderful with our boys and they thought is was awesome being their first cruise.

We tipped him an extra $40 for it.

Post 23 is the best that I can do.:)

We tip from $25 on up depending on the service. We have had some really nice room stewards and to be honest never a bad one. Last cruise our room steward left me a towel birthday cake on my birthday. (Yes, I know they use it over and over it is too big and well decorated not to reuse.) This gesture, wonderful towel animals every night, and just being a really nice person earned him a nice tip.

I've only been on two cruises so far, but both times the steward (seen or not) has clearly worked like a dog - cleaning room twice a day. I have no trouble leaving $35 -40 for the week.

I've only been on two cruises so far, but both times the steward (seen or not) has clearly worked like a dog - cleaning room twice a day. I have no trouble leaving $35 -40 for the week.

That's what is expected of them and is not above and beyond. Since that service is compensated through the service charge there is no need to tip for it too (unless of course you want to, which is entirely up to you).

What is the amount to tip someone that drops off your room service food? I generally don't order room service at hotels, but do when we are on a cruise?

I'm not sure if the fact that NCL now charges for room service has changed what people tip but $1 to $2 for a simple order up to $5 to $10 for a couple of complete meals used to be considered adequate.

On the Sun the stewardess would make the sofa out into a bed for mom and return it each day. One evening we went to dinner and got back late. Seems we left the "do not disturb" on in error. My mom felt terrible. Our stewardess was waiting for us to do it. She was so sweet. But we felt we were her last cabin and was likely exhausted.

I also give a lot of credence to stewards who are happy, upbeat, remember our names and are just great ambassadors to their cruise lines.

I have asked for extra hangers, extra towels, extra balcony chairs, ice, and I have had them remove furniture which was in the way. On my last Jewel cruise there was this darn wooden bench at the foot of the bed and I banged my knee on it. Our steward was happy to move it out. Also, our dining table was much better up against the wall with the chair removed.

Edited by DMH15

Thanks.

I have no idea what constitutes above & beyond.

I tip because I was raised by a single mom who worked her butt off as a waitress to support us. We heard all the stories about the good tippers, the bad tippers, and the stiffs. As a result, my siblings and I are inclined to take very good care of people in service positions.

A few kind words and cash is how I choose to show my appreciation to our hardworking cabin steward and a few others when we cruise. Always with a thank you note..........

Just remove dsc and tip in cash so that he will actually get the money he deserves instead of ncl corporate

And very myopically, you screw everyone else who work hard to make your overall cruise experience memorable.