Recommendations? Alaska Cruise on Pearl Vs Jewel

Hi all,

I am considering going on a 7-10 day Alaska Cruise/trip this summer 2016 (last minute decision). I've been to Alaska before when a kid, but thought this would be a nice way to see it again, and get out of the heat in Texas.

So have 2 questions:

1) Which NCL ship would you recommend? (I have several trip credits on NCL)

2) Considering the changeable weather, is it worth getting a Balcony or Mini-Suite vs an Outside cabin?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

The ships are similar so go with the one that has the itinerary that suits you best. I haven't looked lately but I think one goes to Glacier Bay and the other goes to Sawyer glacier.

If you go to Sawyer, you should take the special small boat excursion that goes to the glacier, otherwise you won't see much.

We have been on both the Pearl and the Jewel in the last 12 months (1 of those cruises was even to Alaska). The ships are almost identical but I did prefer the Pearl a little bit more than the Jewel. I can't place a real reason, I just preferred the atmosphere a little more.

You will love the ships.

I highly suggest getting a balcony if you can. The scenery you will see is amazing. You see a lot more land on an Alaskan cruise than you do on other types of cruises.

Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Pick a cruise out Vancouver. The ship sails the inside passage which is much more scenic than those out of Seattle.

I would never do an Alaska cruise without a balcony. We sailed the Jewel out of Seattle last July. We spen hours every day in our balcony watch the scenes and sea life. Whales all around the ship. On two days we sailed through pods of hundreds of dolphin swimming to rather side of the ship. Fantastic.

The ships are similar so go with the one that has the itinerary that suits you best. I haven't looked lately but I think one goes to Glacier Bay and the other goes to Sawyer glacier.

If you go to Sawyer, you should take the special small boat excursion that goes to the glacier, otherwise you won't see much.

We are booked on the June 4, 2016 Jewel and checking excursions there are none listed for a small boat excursion to Sawyer Glacier on the NCL site.

Well the Pearl is going to start her AK season this week with a 10 day cruise from Vancouver to Seattle visiting Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, and Victoria before ending in Seattle.

Her normal route is 7 days and does not inlcude Sitka or ISP.

I have done both the GB and Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm trips - as well as the small boat tour of Tracy Arm. Both are worth seeing and one is not better than the other - they are different and to really see TA the small boat tour is necessary.

Between the two ships they are also more alike than different - the Pearl has had her waterslides removed - but in AK they aren't used that much anyway.

Staff also changes so the crew from a cruise earlier in the year may not be the same so again one can't say one is really better than the other.

As for cabin type I usually splurge for a balcony - I love Aft ones on deck 9 or 10 - the views in AK are something to see.

Hi all,

I am considering going on a 7-10 day Alaska Cruise/trip this summer 2016 (last minute decision). I've been to Alaska before when a kid, but thought this would be a nice way to see it again, and get out of the heat in Texas.

So have 2 questions:

1) Which NCL ship would you recommend? (I have several trip credits on NCL)

2) Considering the changeable weather, is it worth getting a Balcony or Mini-Suite vs an Outside cabin?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

The question is do you want Sawyer Glacier or Glacier Bay? That is the only thing that should drive your decision. A lot of people will tell you to go to Glacier Bay, I prefer Sawyer Glacier with the small boat excursion, but that is just my choice.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was also trying to determine which to cruise.

I also saw differences in the time at the ports.

example:

Jewel is at juneau from 7am - 1:30pm while Pearl is there from 2pm to 10pm

Jewel is at skagway from 7am-530pm while Pearl is there from 7am to 815pm

Jewel is at ketchikan 7am -3pm while the Pearl is there 6am to 130pm

Jewel will be at Victoria 230pm - 930pm while Pearl will be there from 6pm to 1159pm

are any times to be in port better than others? does it depend on when you go?

We are booked on the June 4, 2016 Jewel and checking excursions there are none listed for a small boat excursion to Sawyer Glacier on the NCL site.

We went at the end of June last year. Never made it to Swawyer due to excessive ice in water. Ended up at alternate glacier which was beautiful, but had a bit of trouble getting out because of a large amount of ice in the water.

The NCL website does indeed show the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer tour out of Juneau. There are two versions of this excursion one for the Jewel and one for the Pearl. The only time the tour is not offered is during early May and late September due to low light levels.

I have done the one for the Pearl and it was the highlight of our trip - Sawyer calved several times while we sat in front and watched and listened. :)

Wait until May 2017 and take 14dy NCL Sun, excellent itinerary:)

Goes to Hubbard, Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay as well as Sitka.......

Unfortunately I'll probably have to cancel my resv. :(

====================================================

Mon 15-May 2017 5:00 pm SHIP DEPARTS SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, US

Tue 16-May AT SEA

Wed 17-May17-May Wed 8:00 4:00am pm ASTORIA, OREGON, US

Thu 18-May AT SEA

Fri 19-May19-May Fri 8:00 4:00am pm KETCHIKAN, ALASKA, US

Sat 20-May CRUISE SAWYER GLACIER

Sat 20-May20-May Sat 2:00 10:00pm pm JUNEAU, ALASKA, US

Sun 21-May CRUISE GLACIER BAY

Mon 22-May22-May Mon 7:00 9:00am pm SKAGWAY, ALASKA, US

Tue 23-May23-May Tue 8:00 5:00am pm ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA, US

Wed 24-May CRUISE HUBBARD GLACIER

Thu 25-May25-May Thu 7:00 4:00am pm SITKA, ALASKA, US

Fri 26-May26-May Fri 1:00 10:00pm pm PRINCE RUPERT, BC, CANADA, CANADA

Sat 27-May CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE

Sun 28-May28-May Sun 8:00 6:00am pm NANAIMO, CANADA

Mon 29-May 8:00 am SHIP ARRIVES AT VANCOUVER, CANADA

Edited by pspercy

Pick a cruise out Vancouver. The ship sails the inside passage which is much more scenic than those out of Seattle.

I would never do an Alaska cruise without a balcony. We sailed the Jewel out of Seattle last July. We spen hours every day in our balcony watch the scenes and sea life. Whales all around the ship. On two days we sailed through pods of hundreds of dolphin swimming to rather side of the ship. Fantastic.

AGree, both ships Fine & very similar. Go with Itinerary you like.

However don't poo poo cabins besides balconies.

I usually upgrade to Balcony on 75% of our cruises.....

However Alaska....

Upgrade cost for Balcony was astronomical when I booked compared to OV.

So I booked OV again. Its FINE.

Besides, We were up on Deck so much for the panoramic views, we didn't

care about balcony. Also weather can be COLD, etc. You may not use your higher priced balcony! ;)

The NCL website does indeed show the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer tour out of Juneau. There are two versions of this excursion one for the Jewel and one for the Pearl. The only time the tour is not offered is during early May and late September due to low light levels.

I have done the one for the Pearl and it was the highlight of our trip - Sawyer calved several times while we sat in front and watched and listened. :)

No doubt NCL offers the small boat glacier excursion out of Juneau for the Jewel. I've checked the Juneau excursion offerings over and over during the past several months hoping it would show up. It just isn't showing as being offered on the June 4th sailing we are on with Juneau coming on June 7th.

Aloha,

I've been on both ships (though only on the Pearl in Alaska), and if you're going based solely on the ship itself, the Pearl would be my choice! Bowling alley and greatly superior thermal spa on the Pearl is what swings my vote. Other than that, both are fine ships! :) Just make sure you look and see which route you want. Having an aft balcony was the best experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've not sailed Jewel, but twice on Pearl and consistently impressed by the staff at all levels.

As folks have said--Glacier Bay vs. Sawyer may be the other deciding factor.

The times for the common ports don't matter, really--local excursions and shops go full steam when ships are in town. It's a HUGE part of the local economy.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Pearl as she repositioned to Alaska. The current Summer Palace dining room crew is top-notch. They were one of the highlights of our Panama cruise.

The Pearl may open the crew-only area on Deck 8 during the Glacier Bay day (but there are no speakers in that area, so if they bring someone on board to talk about the glaciers, you will not be able to hear them - we told them about this issue and they promised to look into it, but it's something to consider if you like hearing more educational-type info). They didn't open up deck 8 when we sailed the Pearl a couple of years ago (at least, I don't remember the option), but they did for the Panama Canal (and they said they do it in Alaska, so check with the Cruise staff on whichever ship you decide on), and it was pretty cool to be at the front of the ship.

It is my understanding (have read/researched for months) that the Pearl is the only NCL ship that offers the Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier excursion from Juneau.

The Jewel offers something similar (it is listed on their website under excursions for the Jewel anyway) :

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer See the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic twin Sawyer Glaciers in the comfort of a luxurious catamaran.

Starting from ADULT $249 CHILD $159

My understanding is that it is offered when you are in the Sawyer Glacier area and you board via a tender from the ship. You do the "close up" tour and then meet the ship in Juneau.

If it doesn't show up for your date, it could be sold out. I would call NCL excursion department and inquire as there may be a waiting list you could join.

No doubt NCL offers the small boat glacier excursion out of Juneau for the Jewel. I've checked the Juneau excursion offerings over and over during the past several months hoping it would show up. It just isn't showing as being offered on the June 4th sailing we are on with Juneau coming on June 7th.