The Great Escape - Live 5/7/16

chechas

That would stink to be on a excursion when it rained that hard. Hopefully it was a short rain, or you might as well go swimming if your going to get that wet.

Tortola today? anything fun planned?

For the Record, Brat Pack was great! . The guy who played the geek role stole the show. Brought back a lot of memories. My daughter was a theater kid for years and inducted into the International Thespian Society so we have dealt with more than our share of productions. Show lasted just short of 1.5 hrs and ended just as I was thinking "okay now let's not drag this out". Afterwards the cast was in lobby to take pictures with folks.

For anyone curious about appropriateness for kids, they do drop f bombs, some suggestive material and they do strip down to underwear at one point so I will let you decide.

One note, the theater is set up more like a movie or Broadway theater than most cruise ships I have been on. So you have to get up usually if anyone wants in or out of your row and it is not a ramp to the seats it is more like staggered steps so anyone with mobility issues be aware.

Of course we had to skip up one deck to Food Republic after the show. The pictures I took won't upload right now so I will try again later.

It was not empty by any means but there were plenty of tables available. We ordered from the tablet on the table: short rib and corn dumplings, bulgogi tacos (Korean bbq beef), pork belly kushiyaki, and dates with chorizo. The dumplings were our favorite.

We ordered Toro Toro (spiced margaritas) for our cocktails and then for dessert tried both the Green Tea Jar (chocolate brownie, green tea mousse, chocolate crumble and ganache) and Strawberry and Cream(dulce de leche mousse, strawberry jam, streusel and creme brulee foam). Green Tea jar had a funky after taste so we preferred the Strawberry and cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would stink to be on a excursion when it rained that hard. Hopefully it was a short rain, or you might as well go swimming if your going to get that wet.

Tortola today? anything fun planned?

I realized when I woke up this morning that I never signed up for a tour like we planned. Yikes. But my back is still bothering me a bit so we are just going to wing it so we can come back when we want if I need to. Now yo get DD up after her late night carousing!

Captain’s Log, Stardate 20160511.1

We have arrived at a new outpost called Tortola. It is in the British Virgin Islands Star System. The water here appears to have a reasonable concentration of phytoplankton based on the pure blue-green shade of the liquid surrounding the colony. We awoke at 0800(well The Captain was awake before then but the Commander was a bit delayed due keeping late hours on the Vessel’s Entertainment Decks) and after receiving sustenance, we ventured forth to meet inhabitants and observe interactions. The weather pattern suggested a repeat of yesterday’s precipitation but so far it has stayed overcast by dry. Unfortunately, we did not make it far as planned on our expedition due to an existing injury sustained by the Captain (yours truly) before this trip, which prevented too much exploration plus we failed to come to terms with a charter group that was going forth to map the island. Though we were able to trade with the denizens and gain items to bring back to the Tampa Bay colony with us. With so little data collected, it is hard to make a final assessment of the viability of this outpost and a return mission shall have to be planned at a later date.

As for the U.S.S. Escape, overall she is a seaworthy vessel and I would count myself lucky to grace her decks again. But as with all craft, there are a few foibles. For example, the waste disposal system (la toilet) in our quarters does not often work. A couple of calls to maintenance and it still is selective in operations. The Attire Storage Unit (closet) is not easily accessible as the bunks are next to it instead of by the sliding portals. Also the lighting in the quarters is very dim and poorly suited to applying war paint (make up) at the vanity table, making it necessary to retreat to the cleaning room (bathroom) to do so. Thankfully since our mission parameters this time are code name “Freestyle” there has not been much need to apply full War Paint. These are minor deficiencies in the greater scheme of the mission. I will address and categorize other items in a future log.

Quote of the day (said by the Commander (DD)): “Wow it is 0950 and I haven’t had a drink yet!” (because of our late start, we forwent our usual morning liquid refreshment of juice of the orange fruit with fermented sparkling grape extract). I am unclear if I should be concerned about my 2nd in charge or proud of her fortitude?

Captain’s Log, Stardate 20160511.1, Supplemental

This is actually notes from Commander Tey...forgive her as she just is not as imaginative or witty as her Captain(or as nerdy but toe-may-to, toe-ma-toe), hence why I am the Captain.

Hey everyone, DD again. So this cruise has a lot of great activities going on for people of all ages, but the 18-25 crowd might have a more difficult time finding entertainment. Norwegian has meet and greets scheduled for this age group throughout the week, but unfortunately the one on Monday night and the one Tuesday were both scheduled in the 5’ O’clock Somewhere bar at the same time as karaoke. It really difficult to find and get to know your peers when people of all ages are wailing away on the mic (don’t get me wrong; it was entertaining to watch people who’ve had one too many get up there and perform with such enthusiasm, it just wasn’t what I went there for). I gave up after a few hours and headed to Spice H2O to watch The Intern on the big screen. Yet again, it wasn’t a great time to try to find people to hang out with because I didn’t want to interrupt anyone’s viewing of the movie.

After the movie finished, I got a drink with my mom at O’Sheehan’s and eventually decided to try the Skyline Bar again. The music was better than before, but still not great; I can count on one hand the number of songs the DJ played from this decade. I love throwback songs as much as the next 90s baby, but it began to feel less like a club and more like a hangout spot as we sing along to “Baby Got Back” and old RKelly songs. I was also disappointed to find out that Spice H2O and Skyline bar are the closest things the Escape has to actual clubs. They don’t card you, so kids and teens and walk in at their leisure. Because of that, these “clubs” feel less like adult venues, and I love kids, but seeing them in a club makes me want to run over and shield their eyes from the results of having an unlimited drink package. Overall the cruise is going great, I just wish the 18-25 meet-ups were arranged better.

We have arrived at a new outpost called Tortola. It is in the British Virgin Islands Star System. The water here appears to have a reasonable concentration of phytoplankton based on the pure blue-green shade of the liquid surrounding the colony. We awoke at 0800(well The Captain was awake before then but the Commander was a bit delayed due keeping late hours on the Vessel’s Entertainment Decks) and after receiving sustenance, we ventured forth to meet inhabitants and observe interactions. The weather pattern suggested a repeat of yesterday’s precipitation but so far it has stayed overcast by dry. Unfortunately, we did not make it far as planned on our expedition due to an existing injury sustained by the Captain (yours truly) before this trip, which prevented too much exploration plus we failed to come to terms with a charter group that was going forth to map the island. Though we were able to trade with the denizens and gain items to bring back to the Tampa Bay colony with us. With so little data collected, it is hard to make a final assessment of the viability of this outpost and a return mission shall have to be planned at a later date.

As for the U.S.S. Escape, overall she is a seaworthy vessel and I would count myself lucky to grace her decks again. But as with all craft, there are a few foibles. For example, the waste disposal system (la toilet) in our quarters does not often work. A couple of calls to maintenance and it still is selective in operations. The Attire Storage Unit (closet) is not easily accessible as the bunks are next to it instead of by the sliding portals. Also the lighting in the quarters is very dim and poorly suited to applying war paint (make up) at the vanity table, making it necessary to retreat to the cleaning room (bathroom) to do so. Thankfully since our mission parameters this time are code name “Freestyle” there has not been much need to apply full War Paint. These are minor deficiencies in the greater scheme of the mission. I will address and categorize other items in a future log.

Quote of the day (said by the Commander (DD)): “Wow it is 0950 and I haven’t had a drink yet!” (because of our late start, we forwent our usual morning liquid refreshment of juice of the orange fruit with fermented sparkling grape extract). I am unclear if I should be concerned about my 2nd in charge or proud of her fortitude?

LOVE this. I realise it is probably exhausting to do, but if the entire rest of the review is like this, I would be tickled.

Sounds like you are having a great time... I miss the Escape!

For the Record, Brat Pack was great! . The guy who played the geek role stole the show. Brought back a lot of memories. My daughter was a theater kid for years and inducted into the International Thespian Society so we have dealt with more than our share of productions.

Enjoying your review very much. My son, a HS senior, is also a theater kid and is a member of the International Thespian Society, currently president of their chapter.

Looking forward to more of your review.

LOVE this. I realise it is probably exhausting to do, but if the entire rest of the review is like this, I would be tickled.

Sounds like you are having a great time... I miss the Escape!

LOL! My daughter thinks I am the biggest nerd for doing that post, glad to know someone appreciated it! I will consider your request but no promises. Took me maybe 10 minutes to bang that out, mostly because I kept laughing at myself. Lol

Enjoying your review very much. My son, a HS senior, is also a theater kid and is a member of the International Thespian Society, currently president of their chapter.

Looking forward to more of your review.

Nice! My daughter was VP of her chapter her senior year. We both had to keep pulling outselves back from getting wrapped up in the technical and logistical (quick changes, lighting, effects, cheating out etc) aspects of the show and just enjoy it. They did a good job

We have arrived at a new outpost called Tortola. It is in the British Virgin Islands Star System. The water here appears to have a reasonable concentration of phytoplankton based on the pure blue-green shade of the liquid surrounding the colony. ....

I AM SERIOUSLY CRACKING UP!!! I had to send this to my daughter!!! OMG!!! Too funny!!! I would say my daughter would look at me crazy too, if I did this... but she is right there with me on Star Trek/Star Wars... actually she surpasses me with the SCI-FI.

BEST. REVIEW. EVER!

🖖🏽<Live Long & Prosper>

Nice! My daughter was VP of her chapter her senior year. We both had to keep pulling outselves back from getting wrapped up in the technical and logistical (quick changes, lighting, effects, cheating out etc) aspects of the show and just enjoy it. They did a good job

I work with a community theatre in Illinois, and I do the same thing whenever I go see a show (where is that light coming from?).

I'm loving your review. You sound like you'd be a lot of fun to cruise with!

--Michael

Yeah and hopefully having at least ONE of the libations on my list! :)

Ah yes, the list! I snagged this earlier from one of your posts. Looking forward to trying one or several :)

STAR TREK FAN!!!! (pointing at you then back at myself!!) Love the screen name!!

LOL. Thanks! It IS a ship after all...just another type. And what better place to be than the Ten Forward lounge?? ;)

Captain’s Log, Stardate 20160511.1, Supplemental

LMAO!! Fabulous review. Your humor is well appreciated!

Edited by TenForward

OUTSTANDING! Love this!

At the port finally and are in boarding group 13. Having to get used to being amongst the people lol. We are usually in a suite or platinum etc to get priority boarding. This is first cruise in a long time where we are the newbies. Standing room only in the waiting area. No clue what number they are currently on. Porter said the ship was open but it doesn't look like it from here.

9396f96e66686a45cc47eb6b66e457f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving following this review. Great job. Did you have an assigned boarding time? Did they seem to be enforcing these? We have a late boarding time and I'm trying to figure if we can come earlier.

Sorry for not posting, I have not been able to login!! They have finally fixed whatever was wrong with my account onboard (of course at 9pm on the last night). I will upload the other posts I have prepared tonight. And do a final summary tomorrow night when we get home.

Has been a great trip and to those getting on tomorrow, need another person I your group? I will gladly play your guide next week for you! Lol