Impressions of Magic from a mostly Royal cruiser

ryano

Looking forward to your review of Magic. We are considering her for 2018. Just off a Royal cruise a couple weeks ago and while we had a great time, I can't wait to get back on a Carnival ship! :D

Tapi,

I've sailed Carnival, Holland America, and Princess, and have found the clientele more alike than different. Overall, ordinary people just like you encounter in a typical workplace.

Roz

So happy to read this!!! Can't wait for your review of it. We sail on the Magic in 20 days!!!!! So excited! Quick question (and I probably could look this up lol). But did you do the eastern or western Caribbean? And if you did the western, did you take any pics of the fun times?!?

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
Tapi,

I've sailed Carnival, Holland America, and Princess, and have found the clientele more alike than different. Overall, ordinary people just like you encounter in a typical workplace.

Roz

I have been on 15 cruises on various lines since the 1980s and even enjoyed all of them. I believe the time of year you cruise, itinerary, age of the ship and length of the cruise dictates the crowd mix much more than the cruise line. Spring Break, 3-4 Day Bahamas / Western Caribbean Itineraries and older ships (usually cheaper) tend to have a younger "party" crowd. Summer will have more families. Fall, Winter and Alaska cruises tend to have an older, quieter crowd.

Just use a little planning and you will not be disappointed. If you are wanting a quiet getaway, don't book a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas or Cozumel in March or April. If you are wanting lots of late night partying, don't book an Alaskan cruise.

When I was on the Allure, the comedian actually cracked some jokes at the Carnival Dream we were docked next to that day. Everyone seemed to laugh as if being on a larger ship makes one superior and improved overall experience. It made me sad, I enjoy all cruise lines in their own way.

We just got off Allure last week and are now researching our next adventure, which is scheduled on Magic. Glad to hear you had a great time. I'm also looking forward to your review! :)

When I was on the Allure, the comedian actually cracked some jokes at the Carnival Dream we were docked next to that day. Everyone seemed to laugh as if being on a larger ship makes one superior and improved overall experience. It made me sad, I enjoy all cruise lines in their own way.

Which is hilarious because our Magic cruise last summer totally blew our Allure cruise out of the water. While the Allure was an amazing ship, everything else about it sucked. I was much happier on the Magic. We're quickly tiring of Royal. After our Freedom of the Seas cruise in a couple of weeks, I think we're going to shift back to Carnival more (save for 1 Celebrity cruise to keep a group of friends happy). After the Vista, we only need 2 7-day cruises to be Platinum on Carnival (and if Carnival keeps up their longstanding policy of "If you're scheduled change levels during the cruise, you'll start out at the new level", we'll be Platinum on the second 7-day cruise.

When I was on the Allure, the comedian actually cracked some jokes at the Carnival Dream we were docked next to that day. Everyone seemed to laugh.

The Cruise Director cracked some Carnival jokes when we sailed on Princess, which I thought was ironic since they are sister cruise lines owned by Carnival Corp.

We were at the lifeboat drill (which was held at the main theater) and the CD started his welcome aboard speech by saying "If you've cruised before and it sucked, you were probably on Carnival. Relax you are now on Princess and you'll have a good time". There were a few scattered laughs but mostly murmuring, probably from people like me commenting about the joke. Overall, it wasn't as well received as the CD probably expected.

Edited by Tapi

I booked a 4J on the Magic as well, right next to your's for a NYE cruise NEXT year (long way to go).

Did you find the "secret" deck to be busy at all? I intend on spending some time out there if there is seating...I checked it out on the Breeze, and figured it's a good way to save a little money but since have quick access to a semi private deck.

I booked a 4J on the Magic as well, right next to your's for a NYE cruise NEXT year (long way to go).

Did you find the "secret" deck to be busy at all? I intend on spending some time out there if there is seating...I checked it out on the Breeze, and figured it's a good way to save a little money but since have quick access to a semi private deck.

Not the OP, but I was on the cruise after in the same room. I spent some time out on the "secret deck" and never saw another person. It was lovely. Actually, the whole trip was lovely, and the room was perfect for our needs (wheelchair accessible room). I'm planning on another trip on the magic and hope to grab the same room. Being up on the lido deck to made everything so convenient.

• 4 weeks later...

We are Royal cruisers and taking our 1st Carnival on Magic July 9th, celebrating our 20th on Magic. Was a little hesitant to do Carnival but everything I have read about the Magic makes me excited. I love the larger ships vs the smaller ones. We are staying in a Spa room on the 11th deck. Can't wait. :)