Captain Kate sailing on Summit July 17, 2016?

How do I find her schedule?

Someone posted in the last couple of days that she goes on vacation at the end of June (either the 25th or 26th-I can't remember exactly) so, if that's the case, then, no, she won't be onboard in July.

I find this thread totally sexist. Nobody should pick a cruise based on the sex of the captain. If a cruise line hired a gay captain or even a transgender captain, would people specifically pick a cruise where a person of that sexual orientation is cruising. Why then should someone try to pick a cruise because the ship has a female captain. I do not understand why cruising with her would a "little extra bonus".

I think that Celebrity picked her because of her skills as a captain and not because of her sex and I am sure that she does as good a job as any of the male captains.

BTW - when you are flying, if you could find the sex of the airplane pilot, would you specifically pick that flight.

DON

I find this thread totally sexist. Nobody should pick a cruise based on the sex of the captain. If a cruise line hired a gay captain or even a transgender captain, would people specifically pick a cruise where a person of that sexual orientation is cruising. Why then should someone try to pick a cruise because the ship has a female captain. I do not understand why cruising with her would a "little extra bonus".

I think that Celebrity picked her because of her skills as a captain and not because of her sex and I am sure that she does as good a job as any of the male captains.

BTW - when you are flying, if you could find the sex of the airplane pilot, would you specifically pick that flight.

DON

Um, what? Who said anything about her gender? That would be no one but you.

OP, I know you were asking because like me you have heard what a great Captain she is.

Edited by BND

OP, I know you were asking because like me you have heard what a great Captain she is.

Totally agree! How the above poster took this as a sexist post is beyond me!

The OP never said he/she picked their cruise because of who the captain was!

Capt Kate has been talked about on these boards for quite awhile and she seems to be making a huge impression on people.

We are sailing her ship in August and are very disappointed to learn that she will probably still be on vacation when we board!

Would have loved to have met her!

Yes, that's why we're excited to sail with her! Now, just hoping that she'll be back from vacation and on Summit, by our October 2 sailing!

Pat

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Does it actually matter who sails the ship? As long as it arrives and leaves on time and it does not hit anything who cares?

Yes it does matter who Masters the ship. The attitude of the whole ship's staff flows down from the Captain. Also some Captains interact more with the public and are more personable. There is a different vibe on board.

I was fortunate to experience two Captains on one sailing last fall where Capt. Leo turned the helm over to Capt. Kate mid cruise. They both were fun and interactive. Then earlier this year I was on the Constellation where the Captain had come from an S class ship. He wasn't as interactive or as personable. I never saw him but even his daily announcements weren't as fun at the other two.

Thus IMHO it does matter.

All you need to do is follow Captain Kate on Instagram. Once you do you will know right away the type of interactive and personal Captain she is. Its not because she is a woman that people want to meet her.

Steve

I was on a Captain Kate sailing, just got home today. She is marvelous....poised, in charge, BUT no conceit at all. The kind of person you want to hang out with.

I am convinced she has had a great effect on crew. I took the same Summit cruise 2 years ago - and I noticed the whole crew at all levels had a better attitude. Perhaps the leader's attitude makes a difference.

Come on. I doubt if any of the people who want to cruise on a ship where she is the captain would make such a fuss about being on her ship if she was not female. There are lots of very good and personable captains who do not get as much press as she does.

I am not questioning her competency. She is probably actually better than most of the male captains considering the barriers that she broke to achieve her position. However many if not most of her want to cruise on her ship because she is the first female captain of a major cruise ship.

DON

Come on. I doubt if any of the people who want to cruise on a ship where she is the captain would make such a fuss about being on her ship if she was not female. There are lots of very good and personable captains who do not get as much press as she does.

I am not questioning her competency. She is probably actually better than most of the male captains considering the barriers that she broke to achieve her position. However many if not most of her want to cruise on her ship because she is the first female captain of a major cruise ship.

DON

Yeah, that's right, Don. We want to get a good look at her legs. We can only hope she is wearing a skirt. :rolleyes:

DON

What a bunch of sexist bull crap. What Captains are on your list of "lots of very good and personable captains?" IMO Capt Leo has the same type of following as Kapt. Kate. It's their personality not their gender.

The media has died down and if you read most of the statements of people who have actually cruised with her, they do not prominently mention her femaleness. You're the most fixated on it.

Have you sailed on one of her cruises?

DON

No, you come on. I think your original post was obnoxious and doesn't belong on this thread at all. You got called on your crap and now try to backtrack.

Unfortunately, if one followed the history of Celebrity Masters (Captain), that for more than 20 years Celebrity employed Greek captains (with a temporary exception for a Norwegian), I believe that the female president picked a female captain.

I am not doubting the qualifications of captain Kate but Celebrity's president broke a long standing tradition of promoting from within the Celebrity ranks. I am sure that a lot of celebrity staff captains were disappointed when a staff captain from Royal Caribbean jumped the queue.

http://travelindustrytoday.com/2015-07-14-first-american-female-cruise-captain::22036

Unfortunately, if one followed the history of Celebrity Masters (Captain), that for more than 20 years Celebrity employed Greek captains (with a temporary exception for a Norwegian), I believe that the female president picked a female captain.

When Royal Caribbean acquired Celebrity from Chandris (the Greek cruise line company), it is my understanding that part of the contract restricted Celebrity to having Greek Masters for 20 years. That provision expired. There was the exception as you pointed out.

http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Constellation-captain.html

DON

But she is nowhere near being the first female captain of a major cruise ship. There have been women captains since 2007:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/07/articles/weird-cruise-news/finally-first-us-female-to-captain-cruise-ship/

I did think Celebrity's description of her appointment as their first American woman captain was badly worded and they should have simply described her as the first American to captain a Celebrity ship. In this day and age, her gender should be irrelevant.

No, you come on. I think your original post was obnoxious and doesn't belong on this thread at all. You got called on your crap and now try to backtrack.

BND - I think donaldsc has been drinking and smoking too much in Vegas and the bright lights have destroyed his brain cells .

What does it matter if the captain is a woman or a man or LGBT - who cares!!!! If they meet the standards as a ships captain then appoint them.

Anyway a lot of the Greek Captains in the past on Celebrity have been as boring as hell and it is great to have a woman captain who's personality sets her apart from those stiff boring captains of the past. Personality plays a big part in the cruise industry and sets the best apart and Kate is in that category.

Don go lay down before the bright lights of Trump Plaza blurs your vision any worst than it is already