Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

From 2012 I think.....

Yes it was from my Swine Flu Cruise on the Splendor. It was a guest we know on a behind the scenes tour. He saw it in the kitchen and snapped a picture of it to prove the list do exist

IIRC, when I first sailed out of Baltimore (about 2011) they used a similar boarding ramp but it was not covered. I hope they still have the old one in a warehouse somewhere and can clear the debris and put the old one in place relatively quickly.

I imagine a new replacement or repairs to the damaged one would be a lengthy process.

Roy

If true, and I'm sure it is, it states what I said above. This was not the ship's fault. Otherwise, how the heck could the ship hit the gangway? Did it jump the curb? I don't think so! :cool:

I guess the same way a ro ro ship hit a paceco crane a few years ago at Dundalk Marine Terminal and severely damaged the crane enough they had to dismantle it.

I guess the same way a ro ro ship hit a paceco crane a few years ago at Dundalk Marine Terminal and severely damaged the crane enough they had to dismantle it.

A container ship turning in front of the dock hit a 200 foot tall gantry crane and toppled it , killing a contractor in Mobile, too. It happens.

While the ramp operator was operating the equipment improperly, as I've said, the ship was moving and the ramp was not. The Captain should have seen that the ramp was in the wrong position, and adjusted his docking to accommodate it. The ship is at fault, but it will be up to the lawyers to determine how much liability the port has, and how much liability the ship has.

WOW! This is crazy. A lot of arm chair hind sight quarter backing going on.

The PBB operators did nothing wrong. They were standing by with the ramp in its usual position waiting for docking as hundreds of times before. The PBB does not move til the ship is in place. The operators had to literally run for their lives when they saw the ship coming at the wrong angle. It wouldn't be possible to move the ramp out of the way at the last minute. Just glad that none of the Port employees were hurt.

The PBB operators did nothing wrong. They were standing by with the ramp in its usual position waiting for docking as hundreds of times before. The PBB does not move til the ship is in place. The operators had to literally run for their lives when they saw the ship coming at the wrong angle. It wouldn't be possible to move the ramp out of the way at the last minute. Just glad that none of the Port employees were hurt.

Calm down dude. It was the ship's fault, in any case. That's how these things work. This is the second gangway this week that Carnival has ruined, so it's not their first rodeo.

Apparently, there are conflicting reports as to whether the ramp was in the "usual" position or not. You say it was, another poster says it wasn't.

Calm down dude. It was the ship's fault, in any case. That's how these things work. This is the second gangway this week that Carnival has ruined, so it's not their first rodeo.

Second one? :eek:

Maybe Carnival should send some people to remedial driving school.:p

Well, lets see, 40-50,000 tons of ship or 5-10 tons of boarding ramp. Which one can stop and reverse direction more quickly? But because of the inability of the ship to stop quickly, it is the Captain's responsibility to think further ahead than the ramp operator. The good Captains treat maneuvering and docking like a chess game, and tend to plan 3 or more "moves" ahead.

If the ramp wasn't sticking out at the time of the captain maneuvering in, what could his plan be? It hasn't been verified if the ramp was perfectly still or if somehow the ramp was drifting forward.

Just saw this, do not know all of the details but a gangway to disembark has collapsed in Baltimore. I hope no one was injured! Looking for more information.

13124486_10206704702276835_4014880780760350765_n.jpg? Anoh=e3e0bd5e7c068b8cdfdf38b8b3148b91&oe=57B385AD

It didn't fail. Ship knocked it down.

Apparently, there are conflicting reports as to whether the ramp was in the "usual" position or not. You say it was, another poster says it wasn't.

I work at the Port. I spoke with co-workers that were there watching. I often work at the Cruise Terminal. I know the procedures that are in place.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

If I have learned anything during my short time here so far, I learned that there are a lot of "experts" and honorary Captains. Lots of people posting in threads that don't have a foggy clue. And to think the couple that told me about this site on my last cruise said it was a great resource for information. :D

Got to love Cruise Critic. Everyone has "inside information". This site is about as credible as Fox News and CNN combined.

Not directed to you chengkp75 - you actually know what you are talking about. :)

Second? Where was the other one? :confused:

Really? Funville was Carnival's message boards, like CC. They're pulling the plug on it after 10 years.

Let's get this over with now: http://www.carnival.com/Funville

PLEASE let's get back to the gangway/ship failure. (I have friends and relatives here at Port Canaveral that are involved with similar structures and coordination.)

Waiting to read more updates and comments ...

If the ramp wasn't sticking out at the time of the captain maneuvering in, what could his plan be? It hasn't been verified if the ramp was perfectly still or if somehow the ramp was drifting forward.

New movie. Fast and the Furious: Baltimore Drift

Second? Where was the other one? :confused:

Progresso. The ramp to a Mexican navy ship fell in the water when the ship was pushed away from the pier by the thrusters on the Liberty.

Edited by Thorncroft