Getaway Return From The Olympics Question

The first cruise I can find for Getaway after serving as a floating hotel in Rio is a two day cruise out of Miami on September 2. Is she sailing empty back home or is there a charter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The company responsible for the charter had execs on my Canary Islands sailing selling charter cruises to clientele. Anyway, they said the ship was sailing to and from Rio without passengers. There was talk they might put the cruises on sale but it seems to not have come to fruition as I've been keeping an eye out for them. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of booking the same cruise....RIO to Miami on 22Aug.

Have you ever done a cruise with several days at see before? Also wondering how it works with it being a charter.

I'm ready to book but have concerns about finding an available hotel for a day or two prior to the cruise....do you plan on arriving the day of or before?

I was just on the EPIC last month so I would love to try the Getaway especially at this great rate!

Thanks for any information you can give.

Hi Airlinegirl, our plan is to fly to Sao Paulo to spend a few days there then fly Azul 5 am the day of cruise Sao Paulo to Rio. I'm going to get a thread stared so we can get some fun started. I love all the sea days! I did a 4 day charter in February and it was great!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

This sounds so wonderful to me although it might be a little crazy getting into Rio when everyone else is leaving from the Olympics. Maybe not.

Did your TA say which services/restaurants/entertainment will be open or going on? These kinds of cruises are new to me. Or do they sail with just a few restaurants, bars etc open?

We did the Carnival Axes and Anchors cruise in February. It was so much fun! As far as I know everything should be open. Bars, specialty dining and entertainment. If someone hears something different, please let us know. I don't have to worry about airfare but I did check Travelocity for some of my friends. Some was as low as $600.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Edited by MeLikeCruising

Note: This is a Private Charter, but all normal cruise activities & entertainment will be provided except the Million Dollar Quartet.

I am looking at the Miami to Rio portion later this month. Since this ship was going to go to Rio without passengers, I am concerned that since they are now selling the cruise, will they be bringing on any entertainment. Apparently this is not a normal Charter.

Edited by chloe kitty

Note: This is a Private Charter, but all normal cruise activities & entertainment will be provided except the Million Dollar Quartet.

I guess they will be swabbing the decks!:p

Haha, but they will be on the ship. Maybe on vacation. I will ask my son who is in the show. They are going to Rio and back. Their contract is up in November.

Edited by Seminole1975

Haha, but they will be on the ship. Maybe on vacation. I will ask my son who is in the show. They are going to Rio and back. Their contract is up in November.

I will ask my son, who is currently in the show, what they will be doing.

We will be on the ship back to back as well, but I can garante you guys, nobody knows anything about these two cruises. Miami - Rio and Rio - Miami.

It is a well kept secret. They don't tell you your cabin number or any other detail about the cruise.

As the price was good, we bought both ways, booked a Haven Suite, but we have been trying to get a clue of what is going on, without any success.

If anyone of you knows anything about it, we would love to hear as well.

We are hoping for the best because we love to cruise and although we are only Silver at Norwegian, we are Black at MSC, we are Pearl at Costa, and Diamond Plus at Royal Caribbean. We cruise a lot with Wind Star and some with Princess.... but never such an unknown situation, one week from departing.....

Hope to see you guys onboard pretty soon.

Ines & Lorant

We will be on the ship back to back as well, but I can garante you guys, nobody knows anything about these two cruises. Miami - Rio and Rio - Miami.

It is a well kept secret. They don't tell you your cabin number or any other detail about the cruise.

As the price was good, we bought both ways, booked a Haven Suite, but we have been trying to get a clue of what is going on, without any success.

If anyone of you knows anything about it, we would love to hear as well.

We are hoping for the best because we love to cruise and although we are only Silver at Norwegian, we are Black at MSC, we are Pearl at Costa, and Diamond Plus at Royal Caribbean. We cruise a lot with Wind Star and some with Princess.... but never such an unknown situation, one week from departing.....

Hope to see you guys onboard pretty soon.

Ines & Lorant

As far as entertainment is concerned, the MDQ cast members still have not been told about the show schedule on the ship during the trip to Rio and back. Talked to my son today.

Are there special requirements / exclusions to be able to book one of these 1 way trips?

The biggest hurdle for most is obtaining the requisite Brazilian Visa. Unless the process has changed it takes several weeks and requires either appearing in person, or using a visa service, to obtain the visa and it is not a 1-2 day turnaround, more like a week or more. Again it has been several years since I went to Brazil for work and our company had to restrict us all to domestic travel in the several weeks it took to get our visas sorted.

The biggest hurdle for most is obtaining the requisite Brazilian Visa. Unless the process has changed it takes several weeks and requires either appearing in person, or using a visa service, to obtain the visa and it is not a 1-2 day turnaround, more like a week or more. Again it has been several years since I went to Brazil for work and our company had to restrict us all to domestic travel in the several weeks it took to get our visas sorted.

During the months surrounding the Olympics, the Brazilian government has waived Visa requirements.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/Olympics.html

Russia has already announced similar plans for the Winter games.

We were thinking of doing the trip down to Rio as the interline rates are jaw-dropping amazing. The hotels in Rio, even for just one night however, are outrageously priced for obvious reasons, and many are completely sold out. It's tempting but I think we're going to have to pass on it unfortunately. :(