Breakawy 5/1-5/8

This was our 2nd time on the Breakaway (first time 12/15) and it was just as good as the first although the weather wasn't our friend.

The first time we got spa passes and I really regretted not getting them this time for the windy and rainy days.

There were kids but mostly 5 and under. The first night a group of about 6 kids were dancing on the atrium stage while the singers were performing. I think that they were all part of a group and one of the mothers had an idiotic smile on her face as she recorded it. I guess she's teaching the kids that the world centers around them. Other than that, no issues with children.

We saw "Burn the Floor" and "Rock of Ages" for the second time and "Cirque" for the first. Tip:If you book "Cirque" get there 45 minutes early and you'll get the best seats. We did and it really enhanced the experience. "Arvin & Emily" were performing in the atrium (first day of a new contract) and they were great. We saw them in Dec. also and I was so happy they were back.

The food was good. I loved the Brownie Cheesecake in O'Sheehans. I also had an omelet there that was excellent. We mostly ate in the buffet. On sea days there are international buffets in Modeneros for lunch. We went to the Mediterranean Buffet as well as the Indian Buffet.

In Dec we had a mini-suite; this time a balcony. It was one of those corner balconies with a slightly larger balcony. I didn't feel any difference in the cabin size except for the bathroom (and let's face it...how much room do you need in the bathroom?). We were located right by the aft elevator and I was very happy with the cabin as well as where we were.

We did a private tour in Bermuda. There is a set rate of $50/hr for cab tours and the cabs accommodate up to 4 people. Although Bermuda is lovely there really isn't that much to see (just lots of nice houses with flowers) and I recommend doing a cab tour instead of the NCL tour.

Well...that's about it. If you have questions or comments let me know.

In Dec we had a mini-suite; this time a balcony. It was one of those corner balconies with a slightly larger balcony.

Thanks for sharing your review! Did you eat at the Uptown Grill? It has been a couple of years since we were on the Breakaway, but that was a favorite spot for us.

Can you tell us what your cabin number was? Always interested in a larger balcony:D

We were in 13870.

We ate at the Uptown Grill in Dec and was very happy with the salads. I wanted to go there again but...we had wind, rain, fog, more wind...in other words, the weather wasn't the best for outdoor dining.

Thanks for the review. Do you remember what was served at the Mediterranean Buffet?

One side of the buffet table had a lot of salads and dips. The other side had entree type things such as fish and lamb. There was also soup.

Everything tasted authentic (DH & I are Mediterranean). The fish was in olive oil; I forget the names of other dishes.

One thing, they had regular American cakes as desserts. I was expecting baklava or something similar.

Although Bermuda is lovely there really isn't that much to see (just lots of nice houses with flowers) and I recommend doing a cab tour instead of the NCL tour.

Well...that's about it. If you have questions or comments let me know.

Not much to see? I'll have to disagree with you on this point. I've gone twice and haven't seen all I want to see there yet. There's no denying it's small, but I've found plenty to see and do.

Sounds like they've changed up the food on the ship since last September. I certainly hope so, cause after an awesome first cruise in 2014, we found the food lacking in 2015. It was a bit sad, and there were a few other things that didn't go so well last year, but we still had an awesome time, particularly on the island.

Edited by adivineeternity

Not much to see? I'll have to disagree with you on this point. I've gone twice and haven't seen all I want to see there yet. There's no denying it's small, but I've found plenty to see and do.

Yet you didn't name one thing.

Yes, there's the rum cake place with the glass blower. There's the caves. The aquarium/zoo. But I think they were talking about seeing stuff from a sightseeing tour. The glass-bottom boat tour I took (on my own) a few years back included some cool facts and sights from the water. It's the best bang-for-your-buck in Bermuda.

Yes, there's the rum cake place with the glass blower. There's the caves. The aquarium/zoo. But I think they were talking about seeing stuff from a sightseeing tour. The glass-bottom boat tour I took (on my own) a few years back included some cool facts and sights from the water. It's the best bang-for-your-buck in Bermuda.

I wasn't aware that was a requirement of disagreeing. Since I've never done an organized, or even semi-organized, tour of the island itself I was merely commenting that I find there is plenty to see there, with all the beaches, cliffs, parks and gardens, forts, churches, lighthouses, etc. If the OP is meaning strictly from a sightseeing tour POV, I still disagree because I happen to find the generic list I just made rather interesting and would likely wind up climbing out the window of my cab at a stop sign to go take photos for an hour. I hate organized tours on principle, with rare exceptions. Glass-bottom boat at night going into the triangle? Count me in a million times over.

OK...I saw Steven Spielberg's house. I saw Mike Bloomberg's house. We went somewhere that had panoramic views of the entire chain of islands.

Every time I go to "a tourist attraction" I'm disappointed because most likely I've been to "bigger and better" over the years. Bermuda is very pretty but it lacks the flavor you get on Caribbean islands in terms of diversity. Other than birds and fish, there is no domestic animal life. It's a beautiful place to spend a few days but just, in my opinion, lacks excitement.

I wasn't aware that was a requirement of disagreeing. Since I've never done an organized, or even semi-organized, tour of the island itself I was merely commenting that I find there is plenty to see there, with all the beaches, cliffs, parks and gardens, forts, churches, lighthouses, etc. If the OP is meaning strictly from a sightseeing tour POV, I still disagree because I happen to find the generic list I just made rather interesting and would likely wind up climbing out the window of my cab at a stop sign to go take photos for an hour. I hate organized tours on principle, with rare exceptions. Glass-bottom boat at night going into the triangle? Count me in a million times over.

I live in the Upper East Side. Do you think the zoo/aquarium in Bermuda compares to the Bronx Zoo or NY Aquarium?

I agree with pink beaches and rocks....they have a monopoly on that. But, I've been to 1000 parks, caves, beaches, gardens, forts and lighthouses. I didn't see any in Bermuda that was "Wow...that's the most wonderful ..... I've ever seen".

Please don't think I disliked it....I liked it. But, except for the sand color and the rocks....there wasn't anything strikingly special.

Yeah, it kinda is. Like, provide evidence to back up your claim and not just assume the person is wrong.

I've been to rum cake factories. I've been to glass blowing workshops and studios. I've been to caves full of stalactites and stalagmites. I've been on glass bottom boats. I won't even get into my "zoo/aquarium" history.

For me...not for anyone else....there wasn't anything I haven't seen or done before. (I was in Bermuda a few years ago...so even the sand and rocks weren't new.)

If I were younger, lived in a different part of the country (I live in the heart of NYC) or hadn't traveled as much as I have I probably would have been more impressed.

I've been to rum cake factories. I've been to glass blowing workshops and studios. I've been to caves full of stalactites and stalagmites. I've been on glass bottom boats. I won't even get into my "zoo/aquarium" history.

For me...not for anyone else....there wasn't anything I haven't seen or done before. (I was in Bermuda a few years ago...so even the sand and rocks weren't new.)

If I were younger, lived in a different part of the country (I live in the heart of NYC) or hadn't traveled as much as I have I probably would have been more impressed.

I don't even know that impressed is the right word. Appreciate, maybe... admire, respect. I dunno. I may have to find something in another language that more adequately describes it.