Feeling very down......

As this would have been our first time on a cruise and also the first time out of Australian waters, it would have been such a thrill, also being my 40th Birthday, I was sooooo soo looking forward to this trip, plus there was going to be a night in Sydney at The InterContinental Hotel in one of their Harbour suite's before we boarded the ship the next day. Buuuuut, because of our extreme security in this country(and I suppose every other country now due to terrorists) our passport process is just depressing me. we moved to the town we live in now, a year and a bit ago, so it was Feb last year that we moved here, and unfortunately we are not very sociable people, so we have not got to know our neighbours or anyone, and of course to go guarantor for someone, as you have to for a passport, you need to have known that person for a year, so of course we are finding it very hard to get a guarantor for us. My sister has asked one of her work mates(No unfortunately I don't work at the moment) to go guarantor for all 3 of us, that is my sister, myself and my son/ So, she has gone guarantor for my sister, but she has stuffed up the forms twice now, so my sister has to fill out a new one and get it guaranteed again, her work mate is going to do it for us next Monday. To get to the point, I'm just scared that she will keep stuffing up the forms as my sister has had enough with the whole passport process altogether and won't be going on with it if her workmate stuffs up this last form, as in we get a call from the passport office saying there is something wrong with the forms, blah blah blah. I have looked at other cruises for around the month and date I want, but there is just such a limit unfortunately and I am just feeling a little deflated rom my excitement.

Has anyone else ever had passport problems or are we the only ones?:(

We had difficulty getting guarantors for our kids' passports years ago. They were healthy and didn't go to the doctor, etc. etc. It was difficult to find someone who fitting into the criteria required and who had known them long enough. Luckily, when we worked out who could do it, they filled out the forms OK.

I can understand the stress you and your sister are feeling. :):) Keep smiling. It will be worth it when you get on the ship.

In what way is the Guarantor stuffing up? The procedures regarding the Guarantor has been in place since Post got the contract to process passport applications.

In the early years it used to be someone in a public office such as a doctor, minister or religion etc that had to do this section and must have know you for at least 1 year but this changed some time ago with the criteria now being - the guarantor must be an Australian citizen and either hold a current Australian passport or be resident at their current address on the electoral roll for at least 12 months and must have known the applicant for at least 1 year.

The PPO do very stringent checks in that respect if your daughters workmate is happy to do this for you just bear in mind that the PPO may likely contact the Guarantor to confirm that he or she knows the applicant/s.

I saw some incidents where when the applicant had moved address and didn't know anyone in their new locality they had to send the passport application and the photos to a friend in their former town to be endorsed.

The Guarantors section of the Passport application is fairly straight forward if you look at it there is nothing really hard about it if the instructions are followed to the letter.

Also a key problem I used to see is that the photos were often incorrectly endorsed. If you follow the instructions re endorsing the photo's which are on the peel off section where the photos are stuck on you cant go wrong. The endorsement on the photos should read "this is a true photo/photograph of -------- (first given name and surname) and the guarantor just signs under this endorsement again this is pretty straight forward.

If you are not sure just check with your local corporate post office for advice most corporate staff are well trained in processing even the most complex applications.

Once the passports are finally processed you will get an email from the PPO advising that they are in the mail and when you get them you can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I hope this works out for you and good luck.

Edited by ozziepost

ozziepost, she stuffed up by signing out of the little boxes that have to be filled in. That was the first incident, then my sister got told the guarantor needs to initialise it because she wrote out of the boxes, how ridiculous IMO. So she had to take it back to work with her(my sister) just so the guarantor could put two initials on it. So then my sister puts in her form at the post office, but then gets a call saying the Guarantor had put her name wrong, from Suzie to Suzanne, so now my sister has to pick up a new form, get the guarantor to fill it out AGAIN, but she will do both mine and my son's at the same time. I put my form in at the post office, then a week later got a call saying the chemist that went guarantor for me, couldn't remember who I was (DUUH), so now I have to fill out a new form, so I am sorry to say but yes, it is annoying to have to keep filling out these forms because we accidently wrote out of box, which doesn't even say on the form by the way, that you must keep it all in the box or otherwise you will have to initialise it, exhausting!:mad:

I feel your pain! For our cruise we needed NZ passports and my husband who arrived here as a 2 year old needed to get his first passport. We decided to apply for NZ citizenship as long term this was what would be best.

They said it would take four months - and we had 8 before our cruise. The process was a nightmare and needless to say his application wasn't finalised till after we got back from the cruise.

We ended up having to get his British passport - which was stressful as he hadn't had one since the 80's and to get it witnessed by someone who held a British passport that knew him for a year was hard. It also was difficult as he didn't know his dads DOB (we had to apply for his birth cert!)

The passport was processed quickly which was great and we thought getting his residency visa transferred was very straight forward. Well that was wrong - his residency was granted before immigration went computerised so they had no idea he was in the country!!!

They made him apply all over again and asked for ridiculous things like 30 years of tax & income records, birth certs for his kids, marriage licences and proof of ownership for vehicles / houses etc. More than if he was just applying - he had to prove that he had established a base in NZ even though he hadn't left it since arriving in 1963.

Every time we gave them something they wanted more. This was ultra stressful as a week out from departing they still hadn't returned his passport.

We did everything right and had started 8 months prior to the cruise but didn't get it sorted until 3 days before leaving.

Between that and his mum having terminal cancer (and the likely possibility of her passing while we were away - she didn't she died a month prior) made the lead up to the cruise majorly stressful.

So you have my sympathy and thoughts. Things will work out for you and I hope that it the forms are completed soon. Here in NZ they are turning around passports within 24 hours so I hope they do so in Aussie.

sweetp12, your problems make mine seem like ants, very small in comparison! I am sorry for you and your husband's loss, Cancer is a hideous thing, I had Ovarian Cancer stage 1 last year but had a full Hysterectomy and chemo, that is another reason why we wanted to do this cruise, along with it being my 40th Birthday and my son's 16th, I wanted to celebrate them in a big way!

I understand your frustration I used to come across a lot of similar problems when processing passport applications but it was a matter of being patient and preserving until the application got to a stage where we were satisfied that the PPO would process it without further delay.

The reason why each letter has to be in one of the little squares is that when the application is received in the PPO it is scanned and converted to electronic data. If the letters are outside of the boxes or squares there is a risk of the application not being scanned properly thereby generating an error.

The declaration that the Guarantor completes regarding the applicant is a key area and one where mistakes cant be made.

On odd occasions I had to give the application back to the applicant because LOL the Guarantor had identified themselves and not the applicant.

Its just a matter of persevering and having a good chuckle at the ordeal when you finally get that passport and of course a stiff drink when you finally make it on board.

The reason why each letter has to be in one of the little squares is that when the application is received in the PPO it is scanned and converted to electronic data. If the letters are outside of the boxes or squares there is a risk of the application not being scanned properly thereby generating an error.

This sort of thing is annoying. It's an extra technical limitation that shouldn't be an issue.

Computers should only be there to make things more efficient, but now it's all about making things easier for computers...

OP, I feel your pain, but I would like to point out that most countries have similar requirements for passport application. They are all picky about where and how you sign, how the certification has to be worded, size and content of the photographs, etc, etc

It has nothing to do with the current security situation - these requirements have been in place for many years and you just have to keep trying until you get everything right.

I hope you manage it soon.

If you want frustration, try applying for a visa to visit India. They want you to tell them everything short of what you had for breakfast, and they require a different sized photo from almost everywhere else.

I hope you are feeling better OP. You have plenty of time before your cruise to get your passports sorted. It's just a bit of a hiccup at present. If you don't know people where you live now, could you not have posted the passport applications to someone who did know you in your previous town to verify the photos? In fact the passport office recommends this.

The requirements are not overly tedious; it sounds like the person your sister arranged to be guarantor did not read the instructions fully. Having the correct name (Suzanne not Suzie) is important and would be required on all legal documents so that is a major stuff up by the person who is guarantor and I can see why the form needed to be redone. Annoying yes, but end of the world? No.

It's a pity that the chemist could not remember you - was this after the passport office rang to check? If so you can see the importance of the guarantor being someone who does know you.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Fortunately the issue of passports in Australia is very strict. But problems do occur. I have had a passport for decades. I have 3 first "Christian" names on my birth certificate but unfortunately when the original passport was issued it only showed the first 2 names. This has caused be all sorts of problems with other legal matters as appears I am two different people. No.1 is the one on my birth certificate and No.2 is on my passport. Wonder how the Royal Family cope with this with multiple first "Christian" names.

Passports seem to be designed to be a hassle, so you are not alone.

I recall applying to get a UK Passport. I had to show that my father, grandfather or great grandfather was a British citizen (only on the paternal side, not maternal) My father was born in England so all OK there. I then had to get documentation to prove this but they had to be originals only. Had to also show that I was born in wedlock (I was even though many have alleged otherwise)

The documents required were;

• My birth certificate
  • Fathers birth cerificate
  • Parents wedding certificate

I had my own birth certificate. Getting hold of a wedding certificate was a problem but eventually my mother found it in a storage box. I also got holdof my fathers original birth certificate. I sent them all off with the application.

They rejected my fathers birth certificate. I needed more proof that he was British. getting hold of a copy was a problem as back then it all had to be done by mail. It would have taken months as he was born during the war and the records were difficult. My father was annoyed as he had used that certificate all his life. It was with it they put him into the RAAF and also got his Australian citizenship. In discussion with the embassy I found that they would accept a British passport. He had an expired one and I sent that in and it was accepted. The ridiculous thing is that it was acquired using only the rejected birth certificate. I did not point that out as they may then have rejected it.

A question about witnesses and Guarantor's. I know the Passport office rings the Guarantor's up to ask whether they know the applicants or not, but do they ring the witnesses up? I had to have a witness sign for me and my son's father when we were filling out our son's passport. My father said they don't usually ring the witness, but times have changed and I am just wondering if anyone knows whether they do or not, ring them up at all?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I do agree, getting the passport can be a real drag, and you're by no means the only one to find it a hassle and have to redo stuff. But persist, and have a wonderful time on your cruise! (And a happy birthday!)

:)

You will get this done, don't give up. And once it's done you'll have it for ten years! I just got my renewal form, it looks a lot easier than the first time around.

I'm not sure if they ring the witness, but I do know the passport office is super strict (for good reason) and knows and checks all kinds of things. So just follow the instructions exactly and you should be fine, even if it does take a few goes at it!

The being inside the box isn't to make it "easier" for the computer, but because they store this information (electronically) long term. On renewal of passports etc, signatures will be compared, including of guarantors, parents of child passports etc. They know more than you'd think they do, so it's really important to follow the instructions exactly, including that the guarantor has known you a certain time, that the witness is not related, black pen! Etc.

And yes, I've heard visas for both India and China too are pretty arduous!

A question about witnesses and Guarantor's. I know the Passport office rings the Guarantor's up to ask whether they know the applicants or not, but do they ring the witnesses up? I had to have a witness sign for me and my son's father when we were filling out our son's passport. My father said they don't usually ring the witness, but times have changed and I am just wondering if anyone knows whether they do or not, ring them up at all?

I'm not sure if this applies to you. In the case of where the parents consent is witnessed on a child's application this can either be the guarantor or someone not related to the child or his parents.

The PPO are very thorough when processing children's applications and it is possible that they will contact both parents especially in the case where the parents are separated, to confirm that they have actually given their consent and the person who witnessed the parents consent to confirm those details.

Hence the need for a contact phone number for the parents and the witness/s.

Just a reminder that this is a public forum and you are suggesting that someone who does not know you may be your guarantor.

Does your son go to school or kinder? Maybe you could use his teacher instead. Is it possible you could get someone from your previous town? Your doctor?

Good luck with your passport and have fun on your cruise.

The guarantor knows us, the witness doesn't though, she was a waitress at Pancake Parlour, who witnessed us signing our son's form, don't need a witness for an adult form. I have a bad feeling the witness won't remember being asked to sign the form, so I've picked up another form and am going to get the guarantor to witness it, to be on the safe side!

If you haven't lodged the application yet I would check with the staff at the Post Office where you are going to lodge the form for advice about this as they will likely have current information about the parents consent section of children's applications. If there is any uncertainty about this they should be able to check with the PPO to make sure the advice they are giving you is appropriate.

And OH dear a gremlin got in the way regarding #19 and 20 I have asked for one of those posts to be removed.

Good luck with this.

My condolences! I know things have gotten really bad in Australia, since I have many friends from Australia living in Thailand, but the passport mess is really unbelievable. No more car manufacturing, restaurants closed on Sundays, and $10 draft beers. They tell us not to go to Australia because it's too complicated and expensive! I do hope you get your passports and have a wonderful cruise. Say No to Big Government with too many regulations! I'm Voting for Trump in November.

May i please suggest,that your first port of call,should be a JP (Justice of the Peace),most Post Offices that process passport applications should have at least one on staff.A Justice of the Peace,will at the very least provide you with all the relevant requirements and i would be surprised if you would have to go any further than a J.P. And all free of charge.;);).I wouldnt be relying on friends of workmates twice removed,J.P/doctor/centrelink/medicare/lawyer/police/local councilor/.Quite frankly im not seeing the problem.The process is clearly defined and has stop gap measures to ensure that people,dont try and circumnavigate the procedure.

Edited by mrs and mrs