open-air museums in oslo/stockholm/helsinki?

I notice in these 3 capitals they all have an open-air museum. (Oslo's Folkemuseum, Stockholm's Skansen and Helsinki's Seurasaari Island.)

I wonder if anyone has been to them all and can comment if they are all very similar and should I spend time in any of them, or just need to go to any one of them or must go to see them all?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Edited by vipro

We have done the open-air folk museums in Oslo and Stockholm. The Oslo museum is my personal favorite and is a short boat ride across the harbor from the cruise port. It has a good bistro for a coffee or lunch. The grounds are beautiful. One of the highlights is a Stave church. We had planned two hours for this museum but enjoyed it so much we stayed for the entire afternoon.

I've only been to Skansen, but planning to go to the Folkemuseum in September.

I loved Skansen, it's huge and we spent an entire day there.

Am looking forward to the Folkemuseum as well.

And thanks Danish Viking for the Kopenhagen tip, I'll look into that as well.

The Oslo Folksmuseum is delightful, as is the trip over the other side of the 'fjord' to reach it. You can spend hours there as has been said. It's easy to get there and it is also in walking distance to the Viking Ship Museum nearby.

Did both the Oslo folksmuseum and Skansen last year. Both DW and I preferred the folksmuseum. Loved the stave church and thought the exhibits were well layed out.. Spend a whole day on the peninsula and also visit the Viking ship museum and the kon tiki. Skansen is huge but much was inactive at the time of our visit. Would rather use the time elsewhere, the Vasa, gamla Stan while in Stockholm.

I concur with epixx. Having visited Skansen, Seurasaari and Vitoslavlitsy, I found each quite unique and all worth a visit (my personal favorite is Vitoslavlitsy).

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks all.... seems everyone has his/her own views and there is no definite winner.. in this case I will try to go to both Folkemuseum and Skansen... as for Seurasaari I'm sorry I have to give you up for Suomenlinna Fortress instead. :)

Thanks all.... seems everyone has his/her own views and there is no definite winner.. in this case I will try to go to both Folkemuseum and Skansen... as for Seurasaari I'm sorry I have to give you up for Suomenlinna Fortress instead. :)

Good option... We really enjoyed both Skansen and Folkesmuseum. They are quite different.

I had planned to go to Suomenlinna when we visited Helsinki. But due to weather we nixed our plans and went downtown and explored. Finland is very interesting and I hope to revisit and see the fortress one day.

I had a lovely visit to Oslo's Folkemuseum just a year ago. Unfortunately it was pouring rain the whole day, but I still enjoyed all the historic buildings (both authentic and reproduced) from the history of Norway, as well as the indoor exhibits. I didn't take the boat over due to the weather, but the #30 bus from the train station was perfect, and also allowed me to visit the Viking Ship museum, the Kon Tiki, Museum, and the Fram museum that same day. I had the Oslo Pass so didn't have to pay admission (each of these has an admission charge).

If you are looking for outdoor museums, I would also recommend the Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo, especially if it is a clear day, as both the sculptures and gardens are best when seen on a sunny day.

• 4 weeks later...