Problems with prolonged standing

GMRPHRN

My cruise is still over 45 days away but I am growing concerned. I currently have a back problem that prevents me from standing in one place for long periods without pain. Long walks are difficult also. Of course, this is not a permanent disability that requires special ADA accommodation. I can only find information on CCL website about wheelchairs and carts.

The last cruise I was on we were required to stand during muster drill for at least 30 minutes as we waited on stragglers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I can't think of any other time I had to wait in a long line. As far as long walks at ports I have thought of bringing a small fold-able stool in case I needed rest break.

The last time my mom cruised with us, she also had difficulty standing for prolonged periods, due to knee replacements. We talked to guest services, and she was allowed to sit in one of the lounges available for special needs. She didn't need a wheelchair, either.

The last time my mom cruised with us, she also had difficulty standing for prolonged periods, due to knee replacements. We talked to guest services, and she was allowed to sit in one of the lounges available for special needs. She didn't need a wheelchair, either.

Exactly.....just tell one of the crew members that you have a problem standing and they will guide you to one of the lounges to sit during muster.

Have a great cruise!

Call the Special Needs department specialneeds@carnival.com or call them at 1-800-438-6744 Ext 70025 and they can tell you what you need to do during the muster. They may tell you to meet at a certain lounge for special needs passengers or to just wait until the last minute to go to the muster station. I do know that they release people with special needs first after the muster so that they can get to the elevators before the mob hits them. (At least they did on one cruise when my SIL was in a wheelchair).

My cruise is still over 45 days away but I am growing concerned. I currently have a back problem that prevents me from standing in one place for long periods without pain. Long walks are difficult also. Of course, this is not a permanent disability that requires special ADA accommodation. I can only find information on CCL website about wheelchairs and carts.

The last cruise I was on we were required to stand during muster drill for at least 30 minutes as we waited on stragglers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I can't think of any other time I had to wait in a long line. As far as long walks at ports I have thought of bringing a small fold-able stool in case I needed rest break.

You need to understand specifically what you will need to do should there be a fire, so you MUST tell someone on board your condition. And then what and how specifically what you must do to debark with that condition.

OP, I have the exact same problem, and on last year's cruise I thought that I would faint from the pain. Our muster drill took forever to start, lasted for a very long time, and then the other side of the ship was released first, so all in all, I stood in agony for at least 45 minutes and swore, I would never do it again.

As others above have mentioned, to contact special needs in advance of your cruise, and at very least go to guest services when you board to inquire where the special needs muster will be held. This is what I am hoping will work for me this year. If anything my condition has deteriorated since last year, so I know that regular muster is out of the question for me.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:)

My DH has mobility problems needing a cane and standing for long times is tough, if not impossible, for him. He can walk around on the ship although more slowly than most folks.

We were on the Sunshine in January and like pcvtmom says he and 1 person with him were allowed to do the muster sitting down in the comedy club. It was a huge relief for him.

I believe that special needs will advise you to check in at guest services immediately upon boarding, and they will change your muster station to the special needs station, typically indoors, with seating, and with a nurse in attendance.

It is important to identify if you have any kind of walking, standing or movement issues. In case of an actual emergency, they can be prepared with someone to help you get to your muster station, wait at your muster station, and help you onto your life boat.

It's not just for the sake of the drill - it's what assistance you'll need in case of an actual emergency.

There are canes with a seat...folds when not needed, but IF you need to sit, it comes in handy! Most drugstore/pharmacies sell them! That could be useful for you! They are lightweight to carry. Google "Cane with seat"..and tons of options pop up!

Edited by cb at sea

May I make an additional suggestion. I too have problems being on my feet for long periods. I got a TENS unit. One of those battery-operated machines that zaps you with low doses of electricity. My last cruise, we planned to visit Butchart Gardens in Vancouver. I knew there was absolutely no way I could do it without the TENS unit and even wondered if I could make it through the whole thing WITH the TENS unit. It worked like a charm! I even use it after long days when I get home from work and know I have a couple hours of chores to do and my back hurts. I just put that on and am able to do what's necessary. It really is amazing. I would suggest you forewarn the person running the metal detector at an airport or at security boarding the ship. They tend to get a little nervous when they see wires and such things on their screens.

On the Freedom it is the Havana Bar.

My joy of a TA informs CCL of my DH's mobility issues after booking the cruise. However she does it his name appears on a list in the terminal for assisted boarding and on the list for "sit down muster".

I believe there's a digital form she fills out. And yes, that's why I love my TA - one less thing for me to deal with. :-)

Depending on your cabin location (I think?), some ships have muster in the theater, wish seating for everyone...........much easier on feet that are dead after a long travel day.

I did the San Juan cruise a few years ago and it was excrutiating waiting before and during muster, since the announcements were made in English AND Spanish..........and Spanish seemed to take 3 times longer :p

On our recent Conquest cruise we were invited to sit in the dining room for muster due to husbands trouble standing for long periods of time. We did not request anything special, one of the crew manning our station asked him if he wanted to sit down and encouraged him to do so. We were among several people 30+ in the dining room for the muster duration. Helpful also due to heat outside.

Definitely contact special needs and explain your situation. They will help whether a problem is permanent or temporary. A few years ago we cruised with my father who had congestive heart disease. they and special arrangements for him for the muster drill.

I have a problem with standing also. I told one of the crew before the drill started and he opened a door beside us that happened to be the middle dining room and we sat in there during the drill. They are very accommodating.

I have a seat-cane that I ordered from Magellan which works very well for when I cruise.

We do only B2B these days. I sit on the seat during muster drill while waiting for them to start. Then I stand so I can see what's going on. The 2nd week I go into the MDR where they have handicapped people waiting.