Is the food on Coral THAT bad????

4olivers

Of course you're reading trip reports-- we all do. But you have to keep things in perspective. In all of my cruises, I've never experienced "bad food."

You are going on Princess... it's not a budget cruise line. But at the same time everything is not cooked to your order and wishes.

McDonald's has the BEST french fries, but there are times I've gotten some fries that had been sitting there a few minutes too long. I'm sure the next customer after me, who got the fresh fries, would rave about how wonderful that specific location's fries were. The point I'm trying to make is there will be times when you'll get the last serving from the pan, but there will also be times you'll get the first!

On some cruises, I've had limp and under-cooked bacon one day and the next it would be beyond perfect.

You'll really love some dishes and find another is "not your favorite." It's OK, you walk into any restaurant and you won't like every single item on the menu.

Don't sweat it-- enjoy. The great thing about a cruise is that if you try a dish and you don't like it, they'll bring you something else! On a few cruises, they've even brought me a small portion of a second dish because I couldn't decide ;-)

Taste and enjoy the culinary adventure.

Very well said. If the food and overall experience was as bad as some would have you believe one would think there would be a lot of half empty ships sailing around. Doesn't seem to be the case does it?

Two things you'll find:

1: cruise passengers like to complain about everything

2: people on the internet like to complain about everything.

It's rare that cruise ship food makes me sing with joy, but it's usually quite good... There's a reason everyone gains weight. :-)

Two things you'll find:

1: cruise passengers like to complain about everything

2: people on the internet like to complain about everything.

I think the result of 1 and 2 is that the complaints increase geometrically.

Okay, I have kept a positive attitude here. (see my post above) But I will admit that I am going to pile-on a little bit.

Yes, one has to take many reviews with a huge grain of salt.

But, I try to parse that out.

What I look for is details...

When I hear specific details, such as no nuts or olives. (on Princess????)

And when I hear details, such as ONE, very very slow, omelet maker who makes ONE omelet at a time, on a cruise ship with like 2,000. passengers.... One has to acknowledge these kinds of things.

I know that the food on these cruise lines has been SERIOUSLY downgraded. We noticed this last time we sailed Princess, several years ago. We were on a transitional shorty, and both the food offerings and the service were very, very, sub-par.

We do plan on having to spend the, now increased, surcharges for the specialty restaurants in order to get some better food.

Seriously.... don't mess with my olives, my husband's nuts which he routinely has EVERY day at breakfast and lunch, or a decent salad dressing.

We sail very soon... And you can be sure that I will report back with the specific details on the food and dining that we experience.

(PS: about those Mcdonald's fries... Yes, they should be hot and fresh EVERY tiime... There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't/shouldn't be.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Okay, I have kept a positive attitude here. (see my post above) But I will admit that I am going to pile-on a little bit.

Yes, one has to take many reviews with a huge grain of salt.

But, I try to parse that out.

What I look for is details...

When I hear specific details, such as no nuts or olives. (on Princess????)

And when I hear details, such as ONE, very very slow, omelet maker who makes ONE omelet at a time, on a cruise ship with like 2,000. passengers.... One has to acknowledge these kinds of things.

I know that the food on these cruise lines has been SERIOUSLY downgraded. We noticed this last time we sailed Princess, several years ago. We were on a transitional shorty, and both the food offerings and the service were very, very, sub-par.

We do plan on having to spend the, now increased, surcharges for the specialty restaurants in order to get some better food.

Seriously.... don't mess with my olives, my husband's nuts which he routinely has EVERY day at breakfast and lunch, or a decent salad dressing.

We sail very soon... And you can be sure that I will report back with the specific details on the food and dining that we experience.

(PS: about those Mcdonald's fries... Yes, they should be hot and fresh EVERY tiime... There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't/shouldn't be.

I guess I can bring my own olives and nuts, and my own booze mix, oh I forgot to mention you had to ask for peanut butter, it was hidden away in the back forty along with the sugar free jam. Things are quite tough these days on Princess, I really did notice the cut backs people were talking about this time around. Pork belly anyone?:rolleyes:

I was on the Coral last month. We were a party of 8 and we all agreed that the food was some of the best we had eaten on any cruise. I personally did not eat in the Horizon court. Actually I never even walked through so I can't comment about what was available. This is just my opionion. :D

That is wonderful to hear, Vino!!!

At supper we will probably dine in the Specialty Restaurants and the MDR. So, I am sure we will be good!

Hoping for some Princess Pizza and Alfredo's at Sabatini's.

Crab Shack, etc...

I am laughing here about bringing ones own nuts, etc...

I am the one who posted BYOB - Bring Your Own Butter, on that recent thread! hahaha!!!

Pork belly when done right is DELISH!

It is quite true that one of the newest 'things' in culinary circles and finer dining is finding ways to enjoy (cheaper) comfort foods... pork belly, ribs, fried chicken, etc... Gourmet Grilled Cheese, anyone???

I can see some confusion if one isn't aware/familiar.

I might skip the Pork Belly... I'll go for the filet and seafood!!!

But I am just commenting on why it is being offered.

. Some of reviewers never been on any other lines So comparison is to other Princess ships.. Last on Ruby 15N food not good. Even pay coffee bad. But I am probably considered a foodie. I suggest a well chosen Celebrity cruise which will cost the same but offer a much better cuisine .Vallaza coffee now too. Just off 27N Friday. I was considering a long Crown cruise this Fall. Yesterday I read the reviews here also. Food reviews really bad so I saved myself 28 days of mediocre food.

I have been reading reviews for years about how bad the food is on this ship or that ship. Then I go for a cruise on that particular ship and really love the food. I might be easy to please - I'm happy at Applebee's and Olive Garden, which many people thumb their noses at. Some things might be better than others, but I've always found food I really liked in both the MDR and Buffet.

Agree with your way of thinking;). We're easy going and my theory is if I don't have to shop for the food, cook it and clean up after it can't be that bad:D:D

Yes, I would love some of the better dining on some Celebrity ships.

Even Carnival is sometimes known to be better than Princess.

Don't know why Princess seems stuck in the same old spot, but only downgrading...

If their efforts were shown by the Curtis Stone association... Well, we see how that is going over.

At least they are finally doing something about the horrid beds/mattresses!!!!!

Coral does have the new Princess beds. Thank goodness!

Bottom line, I am not cruising for the highest quality food.

I am cruising for the destination. Alaska.

After our last experience (a shorty on the Ruby) I all but said that the thing that might get me on a cruise ship is to cruise Alaska and those glaciers.

Princess has access to cruise Glacier Bay, and by all accounts, does Alaska very well !

Actually looked into Celebrity...

Chose the Coral Princess.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I have one additional point to make that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet. Namely, the staff are fantastic and go out of their way to make sure you are happy with your meal. If you don't like a dish, or if something was not to your expectations based on its description, the staff are more than happy to bring you anything else.

As an ultimate example of the staff wanting to make you happy with the food, on a long cruise, I had a craving for Indian food. And I don't mean the type of Indian food you find in a buffet that has been spiced to appeal to Midwestern retirees. I mean authentic Indian like you would find on the streets of Chennai. In a collective effort from the numerous Indian staff, they prepared an Indian feast out of the staff galley that was to die for.

On your upcoming cruise on the Coral, if you are not happy with the food, say something. I am sure the staff will try their best to make you happy.

We are really looking forward to that.

I wonder if we would really luck out and there might be some live musicians???

That would be even better!

This past February, there was piano music several nights in the Bayou Cafe starting at 7:15pm. If you were eating dinner in there during that time, there would be live music. I believe it was Chris Janowski playing most nights.

We are on the Coral right now and it is our second trip on her this year. The food is wonderful, just as it was in February / March. The embarkation lunch was quite tasty and a surprise in the MDR. Only two entrees and two appetizers (chateau briand and trout, and ceviche and fettuccine alfredo). Regular selections returned to the lunch menu after that. The food and beverage director came to our M & G and told us about all they are adding to the menus for Alaska. We experienced a lot of it last year like crabcakes in the grill and king crab legs in the specialty restaurants. But they are adding halibut, salmon and other treats to the specialty menus in Alaska this summer. You won't go hungry on the Coral! ;)

I was on the Coral at the end of Dec. There were some annoyances on the ship, for us, but food was definitely not one of them. On Princess, if you like really good coffee, then getting a coffee card is well worth it. I will say the buffet coffee wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, having been on several different Princess ships. But I was most comfortable using coffee card at International Cafe most of the time. We found the food quite good in mdr, buffet, and Bayeu restaurant.

We sailed the Coral from ft Lauderdale this past Dec. The food was not only the best of any Princess ship we have ever sailed, it was the best of ANY ship we have ever sailed! Out of 36 cruises. It really shined. Of course it was provisioned from Florida. But I imagine it would be great anywhere you sail from. Congrats on your first cruise and enjoy your new addiction.