What happened to Wendy on the Victory May 6?

KT+5

My husband and I were on the Victory this past weekend for the Journey concert cruise.

On the 2nd night, in the middle of the night, someone came over the loud speaker in the rooms asking for Wendy ****** to immediately call or go somewhere. It happened around 3:30am, 4:30am & 5:30am.

The rest of the trip, it was the talk of the boat! EVERYONE wanted to know what happened to her!! We all had our speculations!!

We are on the Vista in 3 weeks and are hoping that doesn't happen again!

I was not on that sailing, I do not have any insider information and I do not want to start any rumors but my first thought was a missing child/teen. I think that would be the most common reason to page someone in the middle of the night. The other reason would be that a family member of Wendy's needed her urgently. As RuthlessBoss posted it must have been resolved or surely we would have heard about it here or through the media.

Hopefully it worked out well but dont think it is anyone's business other than the family involved.

If the announcements woke one up 3 times during the night I'd think one would have an "earned" interest in the outcome - at least as far as "did they find Wendy" :D

If the announcements woke one up 3 times during the night I'd think one would have an "earned" interest in the outcome - at least as far as "did they find Wendy" :D

I think that there should be some explaination or apology too.

On the Fantasy several years ago they started making announcements for a girl in the early morning hours. Apparently she had been seen with two males who were rumored to be cabin mates. As were my two DSs. Security and the girls parents arrived at my son's cabin around 6am and demanded to know where the girl was. They said she was 15. My son's knew nothing about it and were not happy at the way security talked to them - saying we know she's in there, etc.

I guess they found her later on. No apologies to my sons. I told them to just forget it and move on and have fun on the remainder of the cruise. They were really insulted that they were in their early 20s and were begin accused of harboring at 15 year old - lol. I guess her parents were pretty desperate though!

Kim

Our cruise a couple weeks ago I couldn't believe kids running around late at night. I was going up to lido about 11:00 to grab a slice pizza and there were 2 teen boys and a teen girl at the elevator. The girl was apparently hiding one of the boys hat. It was a weird situation. Just before the elevator came she took off like a bat out of...... And they took off after her. Probably 15-16 years old. I just would never have allowed that, and wouldn't if I took a grandkid. Another kid, about 12, just roaming around by himself. Kids talking thru the dive in movie. just a lot of disrespect and rudeness.

OP- I think you are safe and there will not be a missing Wendy on your next cruise. You can relax- either she was found or not. But it is highly unlikely that she was found, booked the same next cruise as you, and will become lost again.

If they had announced "where is the rum" then I would be worried.

Several years ago on a cruise this happened to us. They paged for a Carmen .... I don't remember the last name now. But rumor had that her roommate was worried about her and she was drunk in a guys room. No one was happy with her because this went on/off for a few hours in the middle of the night. We kidded about getting shirts - where in the world is Carmen .....

Curious as to why there should be some explanation? Someone was looking for someone else. Why should anyone have to explain to all the other passengers. Who should apologize? The crew for paging? The person for going missing? The family that was worried?

Not trying to be nasty, but just wondering why you feel you would be owed an explanation? And who should apologize to you?

I'm sorry, but no explanation nor apology is required.

If someone, whether adult or child, appears to be missing, especially during the middle of the night, the ship will make announcements, first in the common areas, then, if still not found, in the rooms. They will do this at various time intervals, possibly increasing with urgency. I've been on a couple of ships where this has been done. Once found, they do not come back on and announce that the missing person has been found. I'm quite sure there is a protocol in place for this type of situation.

Just because it may be an inconvenience for some, try putting yourself in the shoes of a concerned family member. We, as a whole, are not always due an explanation for a missing person or a sick person who may have needed to be evacuated off of a ship.

It''s times like these when I see our morbid curiosity rise up to take center stage. Instead, we should respect the situation and the family involved and just hope for a positive outcome.

I also think that no explanation is due. There are many announcements, many given in different codes for medical alerts, person overboard, etc. Once the ship has resolved the matter, the issue is usually forgotten.

One exception to this was on my last Celebrity cruise when a tour bus went off the road in St Croix. Captain Kate McCue (yes, Celebrity had a female Captain!) gave daily updates on the general situation - 3 in ICU, 1 transferred from SJU to MIA, but never mentioned names or actual diagnoses or treatments. I'm sure her announcements were pre vetted by corporate lawyers.

I will disagree with those who said if something bad happened to "Wendy" it would have been on the news. Too many rapes, assaults and fights that occur on cruiseships go unreported. The cruise lines - all of them - don't like the negative press they receive.

And if a line does have a bad incident reported, CC readers are there checking to see if fares went down on that ship.

I'm sorry, but no explanation nor apology is required.

It''s times like these when I see our morbid curiosity rise up to take center stage. Instead, we should respect the situation and the family involved and just hope for a positive outcome.

After the situation waking the entire ship 3 times in the night it does involve others. With the following morning's announcements a simple "thanks for your concern - we found our misplaced person". No other details were necessary.

Something I've noticed is that some passengers just seem to leave their "tolerance" at home when they board a ship. Sure it would be nice if our vacations ran smoothly from beginning to end, but when you choose to travel with a few thousand other people in a fairly confined space it would seem to be wise to understand that not everything will run smoothly and there may be interruptions that occur and passengers don't need to be advised of the outcome of these interruptions.

I just don't understand why some people tend to get upset about such little things.

Just because I cruise it doesn't mean I give up my right to privacy. If a member of my family turned up missing in the middle of the night and they had to page that person multiple times to find him/her I would appreciate the cruise line for doing that. No explanation would be required to the other passengers and certainly no apology is needed as the ship is trying to find a wayward passenger. To the OP...try to put yourself in this situation. Would you want to put your family drama out for the rest of the ship?

"This is your Eyetalian Stallion Capitan speaking: It is now 7:45AM. I wish to inform you of several developments that occurred overnight. We paged Wendy Cruiser several times in the middle of the night, and we did find her entertaining the buffet staff in the prep areas. Those 2 guys that were fighting on Lido deck are now in our brig, and they will be put off the ship at the next port of call. We had a helicoptor evacuation for two people, one was a heart attack and the other was appendicitis - or was that person overeating at the buffet? I donna member now. Anyway, enjoy your day at sea. I will be back with another useless announcement ata twelve noon time."

I also think that no explanation is due. There are many announcements, many given in different codes for medical alerts, person overboard, etc. Once the ship has resolved the matter, the issue is usually forgotten.

One exception to this was on my last Celebrity cruise when a tour bus went off the road in St Croix. Captain Kate McCue (yes, Celebrity had a female Captain!) gave daily updates on the general situation - 3 in ICU, 1 transferred from SJU to MIA, but never mentioned names or actual diagnoses or treatments. I'm sure her announcements were pre vetted by corporate lawyers.

I will disagree with those who said if something bad happened to "Wendy" it would have been on the news. Too many rapes, assaults and fights that occur on cruiseships go unreported. The cruise lines - all of them - don't like the negative press they receive.

And if a line does have a bad incident reported, CC readers are there checking to see if fares went down on that ship.

Just to clarify.

The tour bus accident was on Tortola in the BVI not St. Croix.

I was on that cruise as well.

Yes, there's multiple sets of "PA Speakers," and normally, they don't turn on the ones in your cabin, particularly at 0300. I'd thought we were already in port and started to get up and get dressed...

A few days after this incident, I got a crew member to simply tell me that our friend "Wendy" was some young lady who had a disagreement with her significant other and ran off, hiding someplace else on the ship.

The significant other couldn't locate Ms. Wendy, hence the concern she might have jumped overboard (as people occasionally do when they're upset). The ship's master has an obligation to stop and conduct a search for overboard passengers, and of course was trying to avoid doing that.

That's as much as I know.

Obviously it's none of the passengers business what was going on with Wendy but I personally can't help but worry about those people that I hear being paged. Maybe if Wendy could have just made an announcement 'I'm okay ya'll!' LOL

Wow, there are some uptight people on this board!! I'm always amazed how quickly a simple thread can turn!

I was inquiring in jest! Everyone had fun discussing afterwards.

I wasn't asking for an apology or an explanation....simply asking if anyone knew what happened.

Happy cruising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app