Dad taking a child on cruise

There seems to be some confusion in this thread. General international travel is different from international cruise travel. And is the minor traveling without either parent, with one parent with the same name, or with one parent with a different name?

This site addresses general international travel for minors with one accompanying parent, where "CBP strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent"

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/children/sno/1

See here for minors traveling alone

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/449/kw/children%20traveling%20alone

In both cases, both parents are strongly recommended to sign an authorization. IMHO, it should say "required" because the child may be denied entry otherwise.

For cruise travel (and specifically RCCL), the Guest Vacation Document says

"Should the last names of the parent sailing with their minor child differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation."

"Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy, or certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents..."

Whether the minor is traveling with 1 or 0 parent, only one parent needs to authorize cruise travel.

I don't understand how you don't think being divorced is different. I may of read to much into the OP's post about where they are going, but I'll bet it's a closed loop cruise in the US. A divorced parent can't leave the country with the child unless the other parent approves, not so if not divorced.

How does the cruise line or a customs official know whether you are divorced or not? I take the letter either way if I am not traveling as a couple.

If your child is over 18 do you need the letter? I know 18 is legal age but on a cruise 21 is considered legal age.

According to the RCI Guest Vacation Doc, a minor is anyone under 18. Anyone under 21 will not be booked in a stateroom without an adult 21 or over. It sounds like the only difference is a minor needs parental consent and 18-20 year-olds do not. But both age groups must travel with someone 21 or over.

According to the RCI Guest Vacation Doc, a minor is anyone under 18. Anyone under 21 will not be booked in a stateroom without an adult 21 or over. It sounds like the only difference is a minor needs parental consent and 18-20 year-olds do not. But both age groups must travel with someone 21 or over.

Actually, Royal allows minors to be booked in their own stateroom as long as the responsible adult is either next to or across the hall from the minor's stateroom.

Actually, Royal allows minors to be booked in their own stateroom as long as the responsible adult is either next to or across the hall from the minor's stateroom.

Right. But RCI will not book a group of 20-year-olds traveling together with no one 21 years or over in that group.

If there was a 21 y.o. in the group, then they can all travel without parental consent as long as the staterooms are adjacent.

How does the cruise line or a customs official know whether you are divorced or not? I take the letter either way if I am not traveling as a couple.

They don't know. And even if somehow they did know, they would have no idea if the child belongs to both spouses, it could be from a previous marriage. They look at the last name of the child and the parent checking them in, if it's different, they assume the kid isn't yours. It has less to do with whether or not you're married, than whether or not that kid belongs to you. They could give 2 sh!ts if you're married, divorced, never married, remarried, part of a couple, etc.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Thank you this makes sense.

That's not technically true, either. I was one adult with 3 kids and we were booked into 2 adjoining cabins, as long as the kids were next door, across the hall, or within 3 cabins, it was allowed. Most cruise lines, except for Disney, allow under 18, in their own cable b, if an adult is close by. Some (carnival) have rules for over 13 for a balcony alone, but ncl and rc, did not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't know. And even if somehow they did know, they would have no idea if the child belongs to both spouses, it could be from a previous marriage. They look at the last name of the child and the parent checking them in, if it's different, they assume the kid isn't yours. It has less to do with whether or not you're married, than whether or not that kid belongs to you. They could give 2 sh!ts if you're married, divorced, never married, remarried, part of a couple, etc.

That's my point- if my kids are traveling with my ex (same name) and his new wife (she took his name, so again same name), they would assume THEIR kids, and allow travel without a letter. He could presumably take off with them without my permission. Now if I were to travel with them and a new spouse (now different names than the kids) I need the letter, or would at least be more likely to be flagged or stopped. Seems unfair to me, but you are right, it doesn't really matter to them, and they don't stop to ask about who has legal custody. I see it happening sometime in the future where everyone will be asked for proof, every time, but it is certainly not happening now. Unfortunately it will most likely take some bad situations with poor outcomes before this happens.

That's my point- if my kids are traveling with my ex (same name) and his new wife (she took his name, so again same name), they would assume THEIR kids, and allow travel without a letter. He could presumably take off with them without my permission. Now if I were to travel with them and a new spouse (now different names than the kids) I need the letter, or would at least be more likely to be flagged or stopped. Seems unfair to me, but you are right, it doesn't really matter to them, and they don't stop to ask about who has legal custody. I see it happening sometime in the future where everyone will be asked for proof, every time, but it is certainly not happening now. Unfortunately it will most likely take some bad situations with poor outcomes before this happens.

Very well stated. Immigration can deny entry to a minor if both parents do not sign an authorization. Why can't the cruise lines do the same? Either do it right or don't bother.

• 1 month later...

found this from customs. different from the other customs link. This one states that the letter is a must

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/your-trip#

Traveling with Children

When U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 arrive by land or sea from Canada or Mexico they may present an original or copy of their birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.

Unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the child must have a notarized letter from the other parent or signed by both parents stating, "I acknowledge that my son/daughter is traveling outside the country with [the name of the adult] with my permission."

• 6 months later...

From personal experience you absolutely need all your travel documents in a row.

I travel quite a bit with my kids and I have been asked for documentation on cruises and at customs and border patrol. I don't travel alone with them without it.

I have a folder of documents I take with when I take my oldest as we have different last names. And I have been asked for all of it

- b/c (even tho she has a passport)

- divorce decree

- my new marriage cert (links names)

- notorized letter from her dad stating travel plans and his contact info.

I had a customs person call him once. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's hard to argue with having one just in case, but I can tell you we've never had one and my wife's last name is different.

The CBP site is not entirely clear, they don't say it's required but strongly recommended, and that if you don't have it you may be detained until "the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. "

so it seems it's really a discretionary thing. But again the logical answer is that you should have it. Every year I say I'll get one and then I never do. Of course if they ask my kids they will say "this is my mom." But what if she was my girlfriend? How do they know? Maybe it's the arguing that gives it away.

Our extended family is getting ready to go on an eastern caribbean cruise. My DDIL is unable to go due to her pregnancy..my DS is still going with their toddler (our GS) age 3. Toddler has a passport and our DS a letter signed and notarized by both him (Dad) and his wife (Mommy) giving permission for the toddler to go with just Dad. Hoping we won't have any kind of problem.

Our extended family is getting ready to go on an eastern caribbean cruise. My DDIL is unable to go due to her pregnancy..my DS is still going with their toddler (our GS) age 3. Toddler has a passport and our DS a letter signed and notarized by both him (Dad) and his wife (Mommy) giving permission for the toddler to go with just Dad. Hoping we won't have any kind of problem.

Be sure and send copies of Toddlers birth cert showing mom & dad's name and copies of mom's Drivers License that shows her & her signature. Otherwise that letter could be signed by anyone!

Be sure and send copies of Toddlers birth cert showing mom & dad's name and copies of mom's Drivers License that shows her & her signature. Otherwise that letter could be signed by anyone!

Mom & Dad have the same last name their married. Even if they have both their signatures on the letter notarized...they'll do this together at the same time.

And how do you tie the Toddler to Mom & Dad???? Just because they say so? A passport has no parents names and the same last name proves nothing. To make sure there are no glitches throw in copies of Birth Cert & mom's photo ID.

I have an old notary seal and could not notarize I gave birth to a monkey.... without a Govt issues Birth Cert the letter proves nothing.

Better safe than sorry!

And how do you tie the Toddler to Mom & Dad???? Just because they say so? A passport has no parents names and the same last name proves nothing. To make sure there are no glitches throw in copies of Birth Cert & mom's photo ID.I have an old notary seal and could not notarize I gave birth to a monkey.... without a Govt issues Birth Cert the letter proves nothing.

Better safe than sorry!

Will just a copy of the BC be enough or do I have to take the certified one along with his passport etc.

Well, since I took this cruise (me quoting myself below) with my daughter, I now scheduled a cruise for my wife and other daughter in April. After reading a lot of the comments along with what the Customs and Board Patrol state on their website, I have drawn up parental consent documents that we will sign and have notarized for their trip. I would hate for them to be left on the dock for a small (yet large) oversight of not having them. Even if RCCL doesn't even look at them, it's good insurance!

I didn’t need one. My wife and I were originally scheduled to go, just us two. Two weeks prior to the cruise, I caught the flu. I was in bed for a whole week. Well, since my wife sleeps next to me she caught it three days prior to us leaving. She said she wasn’t going, and I would have to either cancel or go with someone else. I called everyone I could, then my 13 year daughter came walking in the room and said, “What about me?” I called Royal Caribbean and found that I was only 1 or 2 hours away from changing the name on the booking…no charges either! I asked if we needed a letter and they said no because our last names were the same.

I suppose if last names are different, there may be a need for a letter though. I would call them and ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just take copies. As long as you have them they will never ask for them. It's only when you aren't prepared will it bite you! Dad is very brace to sail with a 3 yr old.... must be a super Father :)

Thanks... He is an amazing hands-on-Dad...We raised him well

and he'll have both of us to help. Mommy is looking forward to some quiet nesting time.

I very much appreciate all your help on this old but still relevant thread :)

I sailed with DD (without DH) and we had a notarized letter. I was never asked for it, but it was worth having it just in case.

You never know when you might be asked for documentation....

When DD, DH and I were traveling last year, DD and I approached the passport control window entering The Netherlands while DH was behind us (signs said 1 person at a time). We were heavily questioned...Who's her father? Where is he? Why are you traveling with her? Do you have permission? When I was finally able to answer, I told her that was my husband and DD's father right behind us. She had him come up and started questioning him. Once she was satisfied he was indeed DD's father and we were all together we were allowed to enter. Had it been just DD and I without a letter we would have had a really hard time.