Dad taking a child on cruise

People do crazy things out of spite, revenge, to deceive, steal money, etc. You don't know why people would do anything. Neither do I. Nor does the government.

The bottom line is this: It is advisable to have a notarized letter from the absent parent in order to satisfy any questions CBP may have and minimize travel delays. If you have an amicable relationship this should prove to be no issue. And while it may not be legally required, if you don't have it you can be delayed long enough to miss the ship altogether.

I do agree with everything you just said. Sorry if I got argumentative.

ROFLMAO. That you think the federal government is so efficient that they will know if I'm divorced when they "put my name into their computer" is laughable.

The federal government has access to all public records. Someones divorce is public record. Law enforcement is one of the most efficient parts of the government. That's why they are able to provide Trusted Traveler Programs such as Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS, and FAST. All the computer systems are interlinked. They need to be able to confirm the answers they get from someone during questioning.

Actually, the reason why these programs exist is because they CAN'T verify everything that travellers tell them just by plugging their names in. That why all of the programs are based on pre-clearances that require background checks that take time and resources to complete.

I do have a question for our friends in Canada, and I'm not trying to be argumentative. Since the requirements in Canada are more restrictive, what happens if I live in northern Minnesota, and I want to go to Canada fishing for the day with my son. Do I need a letter from my wife saying that it's ok? Or if my whole family goes on a cruise to Alaska and only my daughter and I want to take the train excursion to Canada, what happens when we go thru customs at the border?

There is no legal requirement under existing Canadian legislation for you to produce documents of the nature being discussed. However, there is a great awareness among CBSA officials of international parental child abductions and custody cases, and an adult travelling with a child will probably be questioned. What could be a very quick and easy entry into Canada with the appropriate document could be a long, drawn out affair without. In the end, if the CBSA official isn't satisfied, you could be denied entry.

As has been said throughout this thread, an easily obtained document simply makes entry into a foreign country so much easier.

I can't understand this topic. There are too many what ifs that it's not possible everyone could comply with the need for the other parent to provide written consent. What if you're a single parent, never married, not in touch with the other parent for years and don't even know where they live? What if other parent is in prison or living in a foreign country? What if you were raped and got pregnant, don't know the father of the child? What if you had a child through use of a sperm donor, anonymous? There isn't a way for all these cases to comply. So what, they can't take their kid on a cruise?

Im jumping in here without reading the prior 3 pages so forgive me if this has already been said, but from the few post I've seen, you are correct. I don't know why there are so many people making a huge issue out of the letter, it's very clear on the Royal website that in order to cruise, ONLY ONE PARENT need be present. It doesn't matter if you're amrried, divorced, never married, friend's with the ex, not friends etc. The cruise line and customs don't have any way of knowing if you're married or not, nor do they know if the person you're married to (if you are married) is the legal parent of the child you're traveling with. They don't care, as long as one parent is there, and that parent is (obviously) giving permission for the kid to cruise, they can go, no questions.

That being said, if the parent and child don't share the same last name, this is where questions could come up, in which case you might need some proof of parentage (like a birth certificate that links your names together). Still...no letter needed from the other parent, BECAUSE ONLY ONE PARENT NEEDS TO GIVE PERMISSION.

Another caveat to this is if you are traveling outside of your own country in order to get onto the cruise in the first place. If this is the case, and you're getting on an international flight, you will need a letter, whether you're married or not, and whether the person your married to is the other parent etc. Doesn't matter, you need a letter.

Another caveat to THAT, is that, like this poster said, there are plenty of situations where the other parent isn't available. Usually, if this is the case (as it is in my situation), the courts will have given you an official document that says you have full legal and physical custody and do not need any permission to do anything with your child from the other parent. This document is necessary for other things too, like enrolling your kids in school, obtaining a passport etc. So most parents (I would assume) who don't have cordial or working relationships with the other parent, have this document. In cases where you would need permission from both parents (international flights, getting a passport) this document is enough for every government agency everywhere. I have one, I've used it many times and it's never been a problem.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Im jumping in here without reading the prior 3 pages so forgive me if this has already been said, but from the few post I've seen, you are correct. I don't know why there are so many people making a huge issue out of the letter, it's very clear on the Royal website that in order to cruise, ONLY ONE PARENT need be present. It doesn't matter if you're amrried, divorced, never married, friend's with the ex, not friends etc. The cruise line and customs don't have any way of knowing if you're married or not, nor do they know if the person you're married to (if you are married) is the legal parent of the child you're traveling with. They don't care, as long as one parent is there, and that parent is (obviously) giving permission for the kid to cruise, they can go, no questions.

That being said, if the parent and child don't share the same last name, this is where questions could come up, in which case you might need some proof of parentage (like a birth certificate that links your names together). Still...no letter needed from the other parent, BECAUSE ONLY ONE PARENT NEEDS TO GIVE PERMISSION.

The cruise lines threshold is lower than customs.

You should read the link to CBP.

I

The cruise lines threshold is lower than customs.

You should read the link to CBP.

I know, which is why I said that if you're flying international, then having permission is required. But in the case of taking a cruise, as long as you're leaving from a US port and coming back to a US port, the cruise line will not require any letters unless the last names are different (in which case you don't even need a letter, you just need to prove a link to the child through legal documents). Letters are for non-parents taking children on cruises (and even then, you still only need one parent to write the letter, not both). http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I

I know, which is why I said that if you're flying international, then having permission is required. But in the case of taking a cruise, as long as you're leaving from a US port and coming back to a US port, the cruise line will not require any letters unless the last names are different (in which case you don't even need a letter, you just need to prove a link to the child through legal documents). Letters are for non-parents taking children on cruises (and even then, you still only need one parent to write the letter, not both). http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329

You are only partially correct.

The cruise line requirement is below that of Customs. You are right.

But Customs has the ability to detain you until they can ascertain and be satisfied as to the circumstances of only one parent traveling with the child. Without a notarized letter you could miss the ship. Royal may not care, but Customs might.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Google "parental child abduction" and you'll start to get some understanding of why law enforcement agencies and border services are paying ever-increasing attention to only one parent travelling with a child, whether or not they have the same last name.

You are only partially correct.

The cruise line requirement is below that of Customs. You are right.

But Customs has the ability to detain you until they can ascertain and be satisfied as to the circumstances of only one parent traveling with the child. Without a notarized letter you could miss the ship. Royal may not care, but Customs might.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

This is true if you're going through customs, but if you're getting on a cruise, you're dealing with the cruise line, not customs. I suppose when you get OFF the ship at the end of te cruise they could detain you, but it's unlikely since you're bringing the child back into the US rather than taking them out.

I agree that it's best to cover your bases, which is why I take my court documents saying I don't need permission with me every time I leave the country with my kid, whether it's via ship or plane, even though I know I probably won't need them. In the 15 or so times I've left the country with my kid in the last 10 years, I've never been asked to see any of it, but I've only been in a position twice when they should have asked (according to the rules), and that's when we traveled to Mexico by plane. I've researched this topic heavily, I've even called embassies in other countries that I would be visiting just to see if they would tell me the same thing that the US says, and they always agreed...letters only required if flying out of the country. Mexico was the most strict, saying that you should keep letters (or paperwork) in your child's pocket at all times while in the country, not just when flying in or out. I did that when we went there, and nobody ever asked for it, but I wouldn't have risked not having it. The letter would be more of a recommendation to decrease potential hassle, rather than a requirement...unless you're flying, or traveling to Mexico outside of the fenced in cruise port.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

This is true if you're going through customs, but if you're getting on a cruise, you're dealing with the cruise line, not customs. I suppose when you get OFF the ship at the end of te cruise they could detain you, but it's unlikely since you're bringing the child back into the US rather than taking them out.

I guarantee you they are present at every cruise terminal in the US for embarkation.

Google "parental child abduction" and you'll start to get some understanding of why law enforcement agencies and border services are paying ever-increasing attention to only one parent travelling with a child, whether or not they have the same last name.

Oh I totally get why they do it, and am happy that they do. That's not the point im arguing. What I'm trying to do is answer the original question, which was, does the Dad need a letter to travel with his kid while his wife (and the mom of the kid) are home with the new baby. The legal answer is no. He doesn't need a letter to cruise.

If however, he is flying out of the country to get to the cruise, he'll need a letter. If he is going to Mexico, and plans to leave the fenced in area of the cruise port, he might want to bring one just to be safe. If his last name is different from his kid, he'll need a birth certificate proving his name is on it. But he does not need a letter to travel on a cruise with his kid without his wife.

Of course there is always the possibility that you'll travel to a country that happens to be on the lookout for a man traveling with a daughter that is reported as abducted and believed to be in that country, and that the authorities will be on the lookout for a guy matching his description, and might detain him to make sure he's not that guy, in which case having a letter to prove he's not that guy would be helpful. But again, it is not required. I personally have original documents of what I need, and I travel with them just in case, and in cases where I'm not keeping it in my pocket, I've taken pictures of it and emailed it to myself. I'm aware of the possibilities, but people on here seem to be spreading inaccurate information and those people are highly likely not to be in the position to have ever needed to research that issue or really know the true rule. I'm just handing out my first hand information, as a single parent who travels very often (sometimes more than once a year) out of the country with my kid, and have researched the rules heavily. I'm not arguing the reason for those rules at all.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Ok first of all people need to realize that every country has different rules. It does not matter what the U.S. Rules are if you are leaving the country. It matters where you are going. And no boarder officials do not have access to all the information you think they do. And divorce or no divorce does not matter at all

To summarize this is what is always recommended that solo parent travellers travel with in order to satisfy customs of most countries. And IMO travelling without it is irresponsible

One parent deceased = copy of death certificate

Solo parent other still alive, divorced, separated or still married = letter of consent from the parent not travelling

Solo parent that has court order allowing out of country travel with no consent = copy of court order

Solo parent where other parent is unknown (ie sperm donor etc) = copy of birth certificate showing only known parent, this info would also be on passport but officials may want to see birth certificate

And yes it can be inconvenient. A single parent who has not heard from the other parent in years must go to court to get permission to travel to some countries. But that's just the realities of being a single parent. To some of you this may all seem ridiculous but it is to protect children. Officials don't know when a parent may decide one day to just take off with their children.

I'm actually surprised the US is so relaxed on this. Canada takes it much more seriously and a solo parent from the US would likely not be let in the country without that information, and I know the same applies for many other countries.

Again not having a letter is just asking for trouble and pretty stupid since it takes no time at all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read everything, but as someone who has cruised w/a kid solo and also has a kid w/a different last name they can and will ask for paperwork.

I've been asked for nothing and documentation to include my custody agreement.

It takes 20 min to get a notorized letter. I would never chance it. Simply state the ship, sail dates and that your wife acknowledges you're going. Sign and notorized. Take 2 copies just in case (I've had rcci keep one and customs ask for it coming back).

Ok I hate to hijack this thread but seems like the correct place to ask this rather than start a whole new thread.

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue

1) we travel as a family of 4 every year myself, better half and our 2 girls. So my partner and I arnt married therefore I have a different surname to my kids would I then need BC to prove I am their Mam ? Only asking as someone mentioned Mexico is strict and we are sailing there for the first time this year.

2) Now this is the confusing part we are taking our niece away next year on a transatlantic cruise I knew I would need a letter from her mother saying she could leave the country so that's fine the problem is her dad passed away nearly 10 years ago so will I also need her BC and her dads death certificate to proof he is her dad and can't sign anything ? She's been asking to cruise with us since we started and I would hate this holiday to be ruined before it begins so would rather have everything in order.

Thanks in advance

I'm actually surprised the US is so relaxed on this. Canada takes it much more seriously and a solo parent from the US would likely not be let in the country without that information, and I know the same applies for many other countries.

The US haven't been so relaxed the last two times we've visited.

My daughters father wants no involvement in her life and isn't listed on her birth certificate. Normally we don't even get questioned but the last two visits ( 2013 and 2015 ) we had to show her birth certificate AND they really grilled her as to where her dad was. God it was heartbreaking listening to her have to tell them over and over again that she didn't have a dad. I can understand why they have to do it though.

I think we've only ever had one visit to Canada where we haven't been questioned or needed to show her birth certificate, they have generally been really really strict about needing to see it.

OP - I'd get a notarized letter just to be safe.

I

It takes 20 min to get a notorized letter. I would never chance it. Simply state the ship, sail dates and that your wife acknowledges you're going. Sign and notorized. Take 2 copies just in case (I've had rcci keep one and customs ask for it coming back).

US Customs? I thought a U.S. citizen with a passport could not be denied entry into the U.S. I don't know if the same holds true for other countries. I would think a US birth certificate would also work since it clearly identifies that you were born in the U.S. but I can't say that for sure.

US Customs? I thought a U.S. citizen with a passport could not be denied entry into the U.S. I don't know if the same holds true for other countries. I would think a US birth certificate would also work since it clearly identifies that you were born in the U.S. but I can't say that for sure.

See the CBP link posted earlier this thread. The question is whether you can risk being delayed or not

US customs can cause you an awful lot of grief if they want. I travel quite a bit with my 11 year old from my previous marriage and we now have different last names.

To get on a plane with her that is outbound of the us I need all the documentation I mentioned previously.

Same goes for cruising. You can be asked to prove you have the authority to renter then country with a child. I have been asked for simply her passport and her birth certificate all the way to the proof in name linkage along with the notorized letter from my ex.

She has been questioned directly as to who she is traveling with, where we went etc.

It sounds silly and overkill, but in 8 years having all that paperwork has made the difference in standing in the regular line versus the little room no one wants to go into.

I called Royal Caribbean and found that I was only 1 or 2 hours away from changing the name on the booking…no charges either! I asked if we needed a letter and they said no because our last names were the same.

I suppose if last names are different, there may be a need for a letter though. I would call them and ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good story and I'm glad it worked out ok for you. (PS, I'm only reading for informational purposes) We all know Royal CSR's are notorious for giving out inconsistent information. There are lots of cases where bitter divorces one spouse gets an upper hand in custody battles by getting the kid away from the other. Even with the same name, I wouldn't go without the letter.

My son has his father's last name as well as mine. Was asked for the letter to board the cruise once out of more than 10 cruises. Was also asked for it so I could sign the waiver for my son to be allowed on the rock climbing wall. Was asked for it getting back on ship in Mexico and the funny one, was asked to show the letter coming back home at the airport!!!

That conversation went something like this: Where is the child's father? Waiting for us in the parking lot. Does he know you are traveling alone with the child? Yes. Did he give his consent? Yes. Do you have proof? Yes. Can I see it? Of course. Silly me never expected to have to show the letter to be allowed back home.

Non cruise related, we live an hour from the US border and were meeting friends in Vermont for my son's birthday. Again I was asked at the border if I had a letter from my ex husband allowing my son to travel.

Perhaps not required but makes travel less stressful in my opinion.