Dad taking a child on cruise

I took a cruise with my mom, sister and niece, and my two kids. My husband and my sister's husband stayed home due to their jobs.

Both my sister and I took a notarized letter signed by our respective husbands given permission to take the children out of the country. WE found form letters online, and used those as the template.

I was asked for the letter at check-in, and my sister was not asked.

My advice is to bring a letter - you probably won't be asked, but you'll be glad to have it just in case.

I didn’t need one. My wife and I were originally scheduled to go, just us two. Two weeks prior to the cruise, I caught the flu. I was in bed for a whole week. Well, since my wife sleeps next to me she caught it three days prior to us leaving. She said she wasn’t going, and I would have to either cancel or go with someone else. I called everyone I could, then my 13 year daughter came walking in the room and said, “What about me?”

I called Royal Caribbean and found that I was only 1 or 2 hours away from changing the name on the booking…no charges either! I asked if we needed a letter and they said no because our last names were the same.

I suppose if last names are different, there may be a need for a letter though. I would call them and ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by AACJ

Same as DonnaK stated. I brought a family friend's daughter on a cruise a couple years ago. She was underage at that time.

Luckily her mom works for a lawyer, so they drew up a notarized letter plus we had a photocopy of her DL.

I wasn't asked for anything (she looks older than her age) but I felt better having it with me because she would've been going home alone! :D I kid, I kid ... kinda LOL

Yes, one parent cannot take a child out of the country without a notarized letter from the other parent. In rare cases where one parent has full legal custody, a copy of the court order is required.

David

Just researched this for my DD. YES. Although I could not find anything definitive on RCL website, I found the answer on the US customs and Border control website and it states it clearly. Kind of disappointed in RCL for not having that info clearly stated anywhere but I had read previously on cruise critic of someone turned away at the pier because they didn't have a notarized letter so I searched for the answer.

Some times they ask for it and sometimes not. I would not take the chance.

Have fun and hope it's a special time of bonding for Dad and daughter.

Yes, one parent cannot take a child out of the country without a notarized letter from the other parent. In rare cases where one parent has full legal custody, a copy of the court order is required.

David

That isn't necessarily true. While I still suggest getting a letter (and always have), my experience has been that I've never been asked for one. I've taken my kids on several cruises, have never been asked for a letter or questioned, but we do have the same last name.

So the REAL short answer to whether you need it or not is MAYBE. ;)

Whoops. I have taken 2 of my kids on cruises alone with just 1 kid and myself.

I have never had a letter nor been asked for one.

The way I interpreted my research is that since I was married to my husband (no custody issues) and we all had the same last name I didn't need it.

One cruise was a closed loop cruise out of Galveston. The one I am currently on is a transatlantic cruise.

My husband was not present when I got my child's passport and I needed a notarized letter from him to get her passport but other than that I haven't ever had him notarize anything.

... The way I interpreted my research is that since I was married to my husband (no custody issues) and we all had the same last name I didn't need it.....

But how do officials know that there are no custody issues?

Whoops. I have taken 2 of my kids on cruises alone with just 1 kid and myself.

I have never had a letter nor been asked for one.

The way I interpreted my research is that since I was married to my husband (no custody issues) and we all had the same last name I didn't need it.

One cruise was a closed loop cruise out of Galveston. The one I am currently on is a transatlantic cruise.

My husband was not present when I got my child's passport and I needed a notarized letter from him to get her passport but other than that I haven't ever had him notarize anything.

I was told that since the child had a passport, and BOTH parents are required to agree (either in person or by notarized form) to the passport that it was assumed that travel out of the country was permitted. That was when it was just me with my kids, I am divorced, but have the same last name.

When I traveled with a minor that was not my own, but had her own passport, I was asked for the letter more for the permission to sign waivers and agree to medical care.

Edited by EllaDuChien

The experience of others shouldn't matter. You never know when someone will decide to enforce the rules. I fly with my show cats. The rule is that I must have a current rabies and health certificate. I've been asked to produce them maybe 4-5 times in thirty years. Do I always have them? You bet.

If dad is taking daughter on cruise (mom can't go due to new baby) does he need a letter saying that he can do that?

better to have documentation and not be asked to provide it then to not have it and be denied boarding.

I have traveled out of the country extensively with my son since he was 4 years old. We have been to places as far as South Korea, without DH, and have NEVER been asked for a letter. I have traveled by air and sea. Since your child cannot get a passport without parental authority(and their passports are only good for 5 years), as long as your names are the same, its usually all they need.

That said, if it makes you more comfortable, take one with you.

Edited by FLAlaska

I have a related question,

I am a single father raising 2 autistic sons, I was planning on taking them on a cruise later this year. Their mother passed away earlier this year so obviously I wouldn't be able to produce a letter with her permission, what would I need to bring with me to ensure they are allowed to board ?

I have a related question,

I am a single father raising 2 autistic sons, I was planning on taking them on a cruise later this year. Their mother passed away earlier this year so obviously I wouldn't be able to produce a letter with her permission, what would I need to bring with me to ensure they are allowed to board ?

Maybe a copy of her death certificate incase you are asked.

Interesting discussion. I took three of my dd's on a cruise last year and didn't even consider taking a notarized letter. The youngest was 16 so only one of us needed to take them for their passports. I wonder what would have happened if they had asked for a letter and I didn't have it. Next time we cruise the youngest will be 18 so I imagine it won't be an issue anyway.

While there may be no legal requirement in the US, a notorized letter can go a long way to resolving any issues should authorities question you. More importantly, some countries, including Canada, may refuse entry if you don't have one.

I find the argument put forward by some that they were never asked so don't bother is a bit specious. I haven't been asked to produce my drivers license in over forty years, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that there is no need to have one.

My brother was asked to produce a letter to go on an RC excursion from Alaska into Canada- he did not have one, was not allowed to go on the excursion. I was asked for a letter to board a Caribbean Cruise once (out of several trips). Since I had it, they allowed us to board. I do wonder if one can be produced and emailed or faxed to the pier if someone forgot to bring it with them.

This a really complicated topic. First, remember, that you are not dealing with one country, but many countries. A while back, I found out that Mexico required a permission note.

So basically, although you might need it, or not, it is better to have it. It is recommended to have. So chose wisely, and accept the risk if you chose wrong.

It's always best to have a letter. Yes even though the names are the same and parents are still together you should have one.

I've never been asked to produce one but I know other who have. The letter is simple to get and honestly i don't see why anyone would take the risk not having one.

To those who think they don't need one because they are still married or never been asked what would you do if you and your child were refused boarding because you didn't have it?

Unfortunately children do get abducted and taken to other countries by parents. And many times it happens before any "custody dispute" has started formally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app