Book inside, then change to Balcony when price drops?

From UK

I thought this would be no problem.

Called our TA and they said can't be done. If we change we would lose deposit and have hvae to rebook from scratch.

Reason being is balcony prices have shot way up on the Indi Trans in Oct 2017.

So we thought if we book an inside to make sure we're on the ship and wait for prices to drop, we would just Pay the diffrence.

Anyone done this? Is it possible to do?

Thanks

kezz

From UK

Called our TA and they said can't be done. If we change we would lose deposit and have hvae to rebook from scratch.

So we thought if we book an inside to make sure we're on the ship and wait for prices to drop, we would just Pay the diffrence.

Thanks

kezz

You can if you book through a North American travel agent, but I am afraid that the rules are different for UK bookings.

At one time you could do this in the UK but no longer. That is why you will find many people now booking through a travel agent in the US. Most of them (check when booking) will refund the deposit if you cancel before final payment. Get price drops for you and arrange a change of cabin. They often also offer OBC. We actually use both a UK and US agent, where we book depends on the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From UK

Thanks

kezz

Changes are possible after booking in the UK, but they cost, either a transfer fee or an amendment fee. Your TA should know this and I would be put off any TA stating differently. I think (but you need to check) this would be classed as a major change so pick up the higher fee. The stateroom changes under the lower fee are switches of room in the same category. Check paragraph 11.1 in the T&Cs

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/pdf/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-UK-July-2015.pdf

However, I'd really urge you to consider what Merion_Mom says and look into switching to a US TA. There's lots of us Brits doing that now and getting much better T&Cs, price drops, switches at no cost, ability to cancel without penalty, TA incentives such as OBC. The main downside is you're carrying an exchange rate risk if the $ goes against you. It's a bit daunting the first time you do it, but once you do you'll never book with UK T&Cs again.

Edited by abo

I really thank you for your replies. Everyone on the same sheet.

Another reason was at the moment for £1.100 inside you also got all Inclusive drinks package.

But if we could have made the move we would have lost this anyway i think :(

It's a long way off yet, buy know that Trans sell fast.

We'll just have to wait until price drops come along.

Thank you so much

kezz

I booked a balcony on Rhapsody sailing last October and a couple of months later the price of a junior suite came down to almost the same as the balcony price. I had no problem changing this only paying the difference which was only a few pounds. The booking included the inclusive select package and this was retained. Rules may have changed since then but I assure you at that time there was no problem doing it, no loss of deposit or included drink package. I used a well known Scottish TA.

Another reason was at the moment for £1.100 inside you also got all Inclusive drinks package.

kezz

So just looking at a "Fishy" cruise price comparison site now I can see that Oct 2017 transatlantic showing Promenade Staterooms at US$1049, that's roughly £750 and E3 balconies at $1714, roughly £1,220. You can get Q interior at $979 or £700.

On that cruise, at the moment, US bookings look to be the way to go (it isn't always the case so worth checking).

I am also watching the price of balcony cabins on a cruise that i have booked inside room for, but I asked the TA before booking that room if it would be possible to upgrade to the balcony at the new price should it become within a more reasonable price level, she confirmed that there wouldn't be problem.

I don't know the rules for UK bookings, sorry.

I do know that I make it a practice to always book the minimum cabin I will be happy with. I never count on an upgrade - either on my own or by that ever possible but not probable visit by the upgrade fairy. IF anything higher becomes available and I can get it, bonus. But I'm not going to be fussing about my cabin when I'm not magically able to upgrade, because I booked what I knew I'd be happy with. Just my way of doing things.

I think your TA is confusing things a little.

If you wanted a balcony at today's price with todays perks (free drinks etc) then you would have to do a new booking; hence the need to cancel, lose the deposit and rebook.

But all cabin grades have different costings.

You need to ask for the outright cost to upgrade to the balcony.

If you have a promo then you would lose this.

But there is no reason that you should not be able to move to a balcony. After all you are trying to give RCI more money ££££.

The cost will be more than you are seeing on line though. As I said before, those are for 'new bookings only'.

As others say; book via the USA in future! Much easier.

But if we could have made the move we would have lost this anyway i think :(

It's a long way off yet, buy know that Trans sell fast.

We'll just have to wait until price drops come along.

Thank you so much

kezz

Royal like screwing us uk and Irish travelers wish I could find a is based travel agent much better value but alas I can't

You can if you book through a North American travel agent, but I am afraid that the rules are different for UK bookings.

However, I'd really urge you to consider what Merion_Mom says and look into switching to a US TA. There's lots of us Brits doing that now and getting much better T&Cs, price drops, switches at no cost, ability to cancel without penalty, TA incentives such as OBC. The main downside is you're carrying an exchange rate risk if the $ goes against you. It's a bit daunting the first time you do it, but once you do you'll never book with UK T&Cs again.

Any recommendations at all? :)

Any recommendations at all? :)

Against the rules on this board I'm afraid to discuss specific TAs. Search on Google, look at the cruise price bidding sites, research via the usual travel sites and ask others on the next cruise you are on. They're out there, not hard to find and you'll get much better service and value than you see in the UK.

I think your TA is confusing things a little.

If you wanted a balcony at today's price with todays perks (free drinks etc) then you would have to do a new booking; hence the need to cancel, lose the deposit and rebook.

But all cabin grades have different costings.

You need to ask for the outright cost to upgrade to the balcony.

If you have a promo then you would lose this.

But there is no reason that you should not be able to move to a balcony. After all you are trying to give RCI more money ££££.

The cost will be more than you are seeing on line though. As I said before, those are for 'new bookings only'.

As others say; book via the USA in future! Much easier.

Yes that is what our TA has said.

No problem being able to do it.

But if we DID book the inside now at the cheap price waiting for balcony prices to fall and the offer ended, we would lose the 'free' drinks package, as it would be a new booking.

I always do Balcony cabins, and don't want an inside. But wanting to book to secure the cruise. (do i make sense, Lol)

As of now, we will just have to wait for price drops as our TA says, thier discounts WILL come.

But will their be any Balcony cabins left? I hope so.

Great replies, Thank You

Kezz

Yes that is what our TA has said.

No problem being able to do it.

But if we DID book the inside now at the cheap price waiting for balcony prices to fall and the offer ended, we would lose the 'free' drinks package, as it would be a new booking.

I always do Balcony cabins, and don't want an inside. But wanting to book to secure the cruise. (do i make sense, Lol)

As of now, we will just have to wait for price drops as our TA says, thier discounts WILL come.

But will their be any Balcony cabins left? I hope so.

Great replies, Thank You

Kezz

That works as long as you are willing to miss out on the cruise. Whatever your TA tells you there is no guarantee that a better deal will come along. You could book a balcony right now for c.£1,200 by booking through a US agent and whilst that doesn't include a beverage package, find the right agent and you'll get some OBC. And then if a real deal does come along later, just call them and chances are they'll reprice you to that deal. At the end, if the price is still too high for you, you can cancel without penalty up to 90 days from sailing.

Personally if I wanted to do that particular cruise I'd be booking the cabin I want now through my US agent and then track prices - at least I'd know I'm on the cruise.