Neighbors and friends on vacation..sometimes a problem?

One possible solution for the table thing IF you're ever in a large group again (or for others who are in the situation), though it would likely require a fixed dining time, is to contact dining services to request that those two (or more) tables be assigned to the same section, thus ensuring that both tables have the same server and assistant server and negating the "But the servers know us now" whining and revealing the true reason for not wanting to change early on.

I did that. We had three tables in the same section. I told everyone in advance we would switch around so everyone could visit with everyone else. One woman got very upset because, she said, the waiter was looking for Mr Jim, and worried about him. Since the waiter knew we were a group, and served Mr Jim at the other table, it was obviously her just wanting to get her way and not change table occupancy.

She refused to participate in any other activities with us and behaved like a spoiled brat.

No one mentions cruising to her any more till after we return.

DH and I cruise alone and meet wonderful tablemates at dinner and enjoy the brief conversations we have with total strangers at breakfast and lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've traveled with friends a few times and usually just do our own thing. Check in with each other at a certain bar at a certain time before going to My Time Dining. If any of us decide not to do dinner that night together we usually put a message out or phone. May try to coordinate meeting later at a nightclub, etc. No commitments though. We may do some excursions together, but usually go by ourselves due to varying interests.

That method has worked successfully for all.

My problem is that some of our friends love to do everything together and want to cruise with us.

We tell them beforehand that we like our freedom to be spontaneous on vacation and they say, sure we like that do. This doesn't seem to work well though. Still feel pressured to "be together" too frequently, spend too much time sitting around talking, walking around too slowly, waiting for others, not being able to make last minute changes to our plans, etc.

Does anyone else experience this situation? How do you deal with this? I find myself not telling people about my upcoming cruises for fear of their wanting to join us.

Hopefully for you that these people do not read Cruise Critic

We've traveled with friends a few times and usually just do our own thing. Check in with each other at a certain bar at a certain time before going to My Time Dining. If any of us decide not to do dinner that night together we usually put a message out or phone. May try to coordinate meeting later at a nightclub, etc. No commitments though. We may do some excursions together, but usually go by ourselves due to varying interests.

That method has worked successfully for all.

My problem is that some of our friends love to do everything together and want to cruise with us.

We tell them beforehand that we like our freedom to be spontaneous on vacation and they say, sure we like that do. This doesn't seem to work well though. Still feel pressured to "be together" too frequently, spend too much time sitting around talking, walking around too slowly, waiting for others, not being able to make last minute changes to our plans, etc.

Does anyone else experience this situation? How do you deal with this? I find myself not telling people about my upcoming cruises for fear of their wanting to join us.

Too many people is a problem, to many different ideas.

OP, if your friends are on CC, after they read this thread , your problems will be solved lol..

I thought of that after I wrote my post and worried that they could be offended.

I'm hoping that if they do read my original post on CC they will understand that I do like them lots and enjoy spending time with them.

I realize that I am different from most of my friends who love vacationing together. DH and I change our minds about our daily activities frequently. We would feel badly if we told friends we'll meet them somewhere and then decide to change our minds last minute because we feel like eating elsewhere or doing something different than originally planned. That would definitely make me feel guilty and stressed.