First time on Princess/First time to Alaska

Hi everyone!

it's been a little while since I was on the thread.

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts...

How does Princess compare in general to Carnival and Royal Caribbean and is there anything that you would consider a "must see/do" on the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise?

Thanks!

I've only sailed Carnival once, but have sailed Royal several times and I'd say that Princess ships are prettier. Pools are nicer and hot tubs are nicer. The buffet on Princess is ok- I always found something I liked, but it's very repetitive. Doesn't change up much (if at all). However the food in general is very good onboard. Entertainment is very good. I think the vibe onboard is relaxing but not boring. I love Movies Under the Stars (bring warm clothes if you want to sit on the deck) to watch them. Skywalkers is a nice place to take in the scenery in Alaska. I also enjoyed the International Cafe in the morning instead of the buffet. They have pastries and breakfast sandwiches, but the coffee isn't free. I tend to get up- get my free coffee in the buffet and then go down to the atrium deck 5 (International Cafe).

As for Alaska. I've been there 8 times and I'd recommend taking the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and then splurging on the ship excursion to the Musher's Camp in Skagway. I really enjoyed the 30 minute narrated ride to the camp- where we saw an orca in the inlet, and watched the huge salmon swimming enthusiastically under a little foot bridge. The dogs were excited to see us and we did a little ride around the mountain path. Then we got to pet the puppies after, and go to a lookout point with a magnificent view. Well worth it. I've done the train ride and it's exciting for about 10 minutes.

Ketchikan is the best port for shopping and sampling some of the smoked salmon- so load up on souvenirs there.

In Victoria I went whale watching and went to Buchart Gardens. The gardens are my favorite thing to do there, but the whale watching was excellent.

All of the ports are "walking ports" if you are in pretty good shape.

Juneau- just get off the ship and there it is! You can take a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway- you can get off the ship and catch the train up White's Pass (advanced reservations required)

Ketchikan- you can walk off the ship. We did a great bicycle tour there.

Victoria- it is about a half mile walk to the center of town

I would consider the small-boat excursion in Tracy Arm to be as close to a must-do as anything. It's listed as TA1-660 (I think) and it'd be the only excursion offered in Tracy Arm, and you do have to book it through the cruise line.

After that, anything "must-do" kinda comes down to personal taste. Oh, and budget.

I would consider the small-boat excursion in Tracy Arm to be as close to a must-do as anything. It's listed as TA1-660 (I think) and it'd be the only excursion offered in Tracy Arm, and you do have to book it through the cruise line.

After that, anything "must-do" kinda comes down to personal taste. Oh, and budget.

Seriously- budget! Lots of expensive options in that part of the world...

One absolute bargain in Ketchikan--take the town bus to Totem Bite State Park. Bus is $1 each way. Park admission free. Guided tours free, and there is also a "do it yourself" paper guide. Honestly, the only thing the cruise ship groups got that we didn't get was a cup of hot chocolate in the gift shop. Honestly, I'd have been disappointed if I paid excursion prices for this. The town bus is easy. There is a welcome center at the port. The gentleman there pointed me across the street to the "blue sign" with instructions that if you get to the overpass, you went too far. It was maybe a 1 block walk. On the way back, you can go to the next stop in town if you wish and walk thru town on the way back to the ship.

If they have "Puppies in the Piazza" on your cruise, the dogs will come to you!

What are Puppies in the Piazza??? More details please!!! Will I be able to pet them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One absolute bargain in Ketchikan--take the town bus to Totem Bite State Park. Bus is $1 each way. Park admission free. Guided tours free' date=' and there is also a "do it yourself" paper guide. Honestly, the only thing the cruise ship groups got that we didn't get was a cup of hot chocolate in the gift shop. Honestly, I'd have been disappointed if I paid excursion prices for this. The town bus is easy. There is a welcome center at the port. The gentleman there pointed me across the street to the "blue sign" with instructions that if you get to the overpass, you went too far. It was maybe a 1 block walk. On the way back, you can go to the next stop in town if you wish and walk thru town on the way back to the ship.[/quote']

How much time would you allow for this?...have other items scheduled there but want to add this if time allows

How much time would you allow for this?...have other items scheduled there but want to add this if time allows

2 hours will do it, but of course you can hang out longer if you wish. The bus ride is about 15 minutes each way and the bus comes about every 20 minutes or so. It is really very convenient.

DO NOT cut the return to the ship short. If you are tight on time, be safe rather than sorry. The ship won't wait.

So we are on the Coral 7/16-23, we should see the puppies?! How exciting!! Anyone who's done this...Any more details on this? Is it a day time thing whole at sea of something that they do on a port day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So we are on the Coral 7/16-23, we should see the puppies?! How exciting!! Anyone who's done this...Any more details on this? Is it a day time thing whole at sea of something that they do on a port day?

It just started this past week. You should hear reports soon. This is the first year that Princess does this.

Just remember if you take the public bus to the Mendenhall glacier, it is a long walk from the stop to the glacier.

is there another tour that drops you off right at the glacier? thanks

It just started this past week. You should hear reports soon. This is the first year that Princess does this.

is this on all Princess ships in Alaska? thanks

is there another tour that drops you off right at the glacier? thanks

Have been to Alaska many times just returned Friday off the Crown Princess, we always take the blue bus to Mendenhall Glacier and Visitor Centre. Walk to where the Tram station is and you will see M & M booths ticket is $30. return and runs every half hour on a loop. Unloads and picks up in same spot close to the entrance (closer than public bus) We walked to Nugget Falls and would normally have spent time in the Visitors Centre where they have great displays and movie about the Glacier. Our time in port was altered due to fiasco of late departure from Vancouver so we didn't have time to do much other than our walk. Enjoy !!

Just remember if you take the public bus to the Mendenhall glacier, it is a long walk from the stop to the glacier.

You are so right. It is about one mile from the bus stop. I heard that there is a shuttle that will bring you into the parking lot by the visitors center for $7.

Walking a mile in bear country would not be for me.

To the OP -- not sure which ship you are on. The cruise we have booked goes to the Tracy Arm but not to Skagway.

I believe the Puppies in the Piazza will only be on cruises that stop in Skagway. Sad for us if this is true. I am sure we will hear more as soon as more people experience this. We did a tour once in Skagway where we went to the puppies and yes, we got to hold them and play with them. They are so excited to get the attention ... even though I am sure they are treated very well. It is just that puppies always love attention ... never too much. They did smell quite a bit like wet dog but if they are coming onto the ship, they will probably be bathed ahead of time.

In Juneau, I agree ... see the Mendenhall Glacier. It is really a highlight and you can do quite a bit of hiking in that area. We also liked the Salmon Hatchery and no trip is complete without a visit to the Red Dog Saloon. Whale watching is also an option here -- couldn't believe how big Juneau is. I think it is actually considered to be America's largest city ... in land mass.

In Skagway, if this is one of your stops, the Train Ride is phenomenal. You really won't save too much by booking this on your own. I would just book this on the ship. The town is very charming and we once went to the Days of 98 show at the end of the main street that runs through town. It wasn't expensive and a very good production. We also went to the area where they have the puppies and their attempts to mine for gold. We also took the bus ride once that mimics where the train goes (a bit different route). I think you may need your passport for this as it goes into Canada and then re-enters the US.

In Ketchikan, we found the Lumberjack show to be quite entertaining. Some may call it hokey... we thought it was a load of fun.

If you don't stop in Skagway, you may visit Icy Strait Point. If you do, this is where to go whale watching! You will see whales, they guarantee it. You might even see a grizzly or two on the shoreline....we did.

Victoria, we usually go to Beacon Hill Park ... it is like a mini Butchart Gardens and open to the public without charge. It is within walking distance from the ship, albeit, about a half an hour walk. Just follow the shoreline to the right of the dock and turn left and walk up the hill when you see Mile Zero. I think this may be on Douglas Street. One of the park entrances is on the left.

When exiting, you can walk into town and walk through the Empress Hotel, the Government Buildings, a beautiful totem pole museum and along the marina. We always walk back to the ship via Oswego Street ... roundtrip is probably a couple miles or so and whatever walking you do around town and at the park. But, you can always catch a pedi cab at many of these points so if you're feet get tired, there is that option.