Once a Day Room Cleaning on Carnival?

Really? I am not a pig as you would say but I like and expect clean towels twice a day (the same as at home) and ice twice a day. I do not think this is asking too much, especially since they just raised gratuities.

If my room steward tells me in Dec. that I can only have once a day then I will tell him that he will get half the amount of his usual gratuity.

How much would that half be?

Really? I am not a pig as you would say but I like and expect clean towels twice a day (the same as at home) and ice twice a day. I do not think this is asking too much, especially since they just raised gratuities.

If my room steward tells me in Dec. that I can only have once a day then I will tell him that he will get half the amount of his usual gratuity.

........or make one stop to GS and the problem is solved and you can fully tip.

This has been beat to death but...

If you don't like it don't penalize the steward. If he/she lies to you that's one thing but if they are told to roll this out make your choice before you cruise. Vote with your dollars there. Not on the workers that are following policy.

If you get half the service why would you tip the same? Supposedly they give the room stewards more cabins to clean so he has more people tipping him.

We were on the Dream the first week of this month and was wondering what would happen.

As it turned out we were not given a card and this was not mentioned and we got normal service so steward got the normal tip.

You are wrong! It is NOT only once on certain ships. There is no ship that has only once a day service. The "Comfort" program is being tested ln a couple of ships. It has bee discussed extensively over the last few months. There is a card that you fill out with your cabin steward. THE TRIAL PROGRAM DOES NOT REQUIRE ONLY ONCE A DAY SERVICE. STOP SPREADING RUMOURS ABOUT STUFF YOU HAVE SHOWN YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT.

That's not true. Still waiting to see the promised new card with both on it. I have seen the artist rendering after a physical new card was taken a picture of.

And six months later we are still seeing people report they are being given the impression it's one or the other, with such ruses in the test ships of covering the card, not presenting a card, up to people staying there was no card and received twice a day service, mainly because they didn't cruise in the test ships.

Our steward tips will certainly be cut in half to $8 if this is ever forced on my, unless my cabin required converting from a day to a night room, and back.

Okay, I know it's been said this topic has been "beaten to death", but I haven't been on the board in several months so I haven't seen these threads. And the one search I did came up with only one thread that was confusing and contradictory.

But, what I "think" is the case is that many ships are still having rooms twice a day as the default. However some ships are giving a card where you can choose morning service, evening service, or both. And if both isn't an option, you can check both morning and evening and both will be done. Also, if a room steward tells you that you can only choose one, you can kindly tell them you want service for both, and they will likely comply. So for those of us who still want morning and evening service there are several ways to make that happen. And for those who would rather have service only once a day, you get that option on some ships.

Is that the gist of it, am I missing something?

thats pretty much it.

And those customers giddy only wanting once a day service or even nonce a day service have ALWAYS had that option, just by telling their steward.

Now that they are finding people to only take once a day service, those stewards jobs will one by one start being eliminated. So that steward you may encounter next time will be on his country's unemployment line. Getting every passenger to once a day service, they can cut the steward headcount in half.

[/b]

How much would that half be?

$3.90 x P x D/2 = ?

where P= passenger and D = cruise nights.

Until the .95 PP increase. I still haven't seen how much is going to Carnival and how much is going to the service staff.

If you get half the service why would you tip the same? Supposedly they give the room stewards more cabins to clean so he has more people tipping him.

We were on the Dream the first week of this month and was wondering what would happen.

As it turned out we were not given a card and this was not mentioned and we got normal service so steward got the normal tip.

Maybe the test was stopped? That would be a ray of sunshine.

of one time a day or NO times a day.

We definitely don't need any turndown service, ice, a gazillion towels, towel animals, etc., so once a day is more than enough.

You don't need to be on a test ship to ask for that now, or even the past 40 years.

$3.90 x P x D/2 = ?

where P= passenger and D = cruise nights.

Until the .95 PP increase. I still haven't seen how much is going to Carnival and how much is going to the service staff.

So approximately, on average, $27. Got it.

of one time a day or NO times a day.

We definitely don't need any turndown service, ice, a gazillion towels, towel animals, etc., so once a day is more than enough.

That is fine, then tell your room steward once a day but for those of us that continue to want twice a day do not tell Carnival to get rid of twice a day service because YOU do not want it.

For the people here who would tip the same for half the service answer me this.

In a restaurant if a place you regularly go to would suddenly have you get your own food and drinks instead of server bringing them to you?

Tip the same saying why penalize the server?

For the people here who would tip the same for half the service answer me this.

In a restaurant if a place you regularly go to would suddenly have you get your own food and drinks instead of server bringing them to you?

Tip the same saying why penalize the server?

Next time you dine in San Francisco, look at your receipt. There's an added mandatory fee for the servers healthcare. I deduct that from the tip, as that's called double dipping. Maybe paying for full service and only getting half of the service is called double dipping as well. I may have to rethink this full tipping for half the service over again. I don't need service twice a day in a hotel, what makes the ship any different than a hotel?

I don't need service twice a day in a hotel, what makes the ship any different than a hotel?

Hotel's usually are just a "base camp" for most vacations. Unless you are at an all inclusive resort, chances are you are not confining yourself to the hotel grounds. As such, a hotel is not providing you with a daily list of scheduled events on property.

Also, cruise ship rooms are typically smaller than hotel rooms. This means that accommodations for more than 2 guests typically have to be converted from sofas or drop down bunks in order to have sleeping arrangements and then put away for "day time" mode on a cruise ship.

I may take 3 shows daily on a cruise ship and due to the more humid air and less than ideal environment to dry towels, if I go to reuse a towel it is still wet from previous usage.

In a hotel once I leave in the morning I typically am gone all day; so once a day service is usually sufficient. On a cruise ship, not so much. My room never gets "dirty" but may require replenishment of ice, towels, etc.

Okay, I know it's been said this topic has been "beaten to death", but I haven't been on the board in several months so I haven't seen these threads. And the one search I did came up with only one thread that was confusing and contradictory.

But, what I "think" is the case is that many ships are still having rooms twice a day as the default. However some ships are giving a card where you can choose morning service, evening service, or both. And if both isn't an option, you can check both morning and evening and both will be done. Also, if a room steward tells you that you can only choose one, you can kindly tell them you want service for both, and they will likely comply. So for those of us who still want morning and evening service there are several ways to make that happen. And for those who would rather have service only once a day, you get that option on some ships.

Is that the gist of it, am I missing something?

You are missing nothing and you provided a clear explanation of this program. It was brought out so guests can customize their cabin servicing. Some late sleepers prefer evening only so they don't have to jump out of bed early. Some prefer mornings only because they know they'll be out and about when the stewards come but know evening times the cabin is occupied with getting ready for dinner, etc. Some, like myself, prefer both. Carnival, as always, didn't do a very good job of introducing this program and there was a lot of confusion initially between the stewards and the guests so they redesigned the card to read "Both" if that was your preference. The theory behind this program is great as the guest can state exactly what they want. Unfortunately, the execution was flawed.

That's not true. Still waiting to see the promised new card with both on it. I have seen the artist rendering after a physical new card was taken a picture of.

And six months later we are still seeing people report they are being given the impression it's one or the other, with such ruses in the test ships of covering the card, not presenting a card, up to people staying there was no card and received twice a day service, mainly because they didn't cruise in the test ships.

Our steward tips will certainly be cut in half to $8 if this is ever forced on my, unless my cabin required converting from a day to a night room, and back.

The new card is on the Dream. I saw it with my own two eyes when the steward brought it in for us to fill out. We checked "Both" under the cabin servicing options.

The new card is on the Dream. I saw it with my own two eyes when the steward brought it in for us to fill out. We checked "Both" under the cabin servicing options.

That's good news, IMO. Appreciate the updates.

Guess I don't understand all the uproar. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I have license to become a slob. My wife and I routinely clean up after ourselves at home and on vacation. To each his own but our enjoyment of a vacation isn't dependent on having someone clean our 187 sq ft room twice a day.

Guess I don't understand all the uproar. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I have license to become a slob. My wife and I routinely clean up after ourselves at home and on vacation. To each his own but our enjoyment of a vacation isn't dependent on having someone clean our 187 sq ft room twice a day.

We're far from slobs but do enjoy returning to turndown service. If you don't then you would be a candidate for the once a day service. See how easy that is?

three separate people off Ecstasy last week reported in threads here that they were told only 1x per day. If you read the reviews of various ships on CC you see it pop up, also on FB Carnival groups seems to come up weekly.

John Heald says you can have both but people are reporting being told one time only.

I agree with reducing the tips for subpar cabin services; money is the universal language and when the company takes in less and stewards complain they will get the message.

I hope when we sail on our B2B on Conquest next January that we'll be able to have both AM & PM. In the PM all we want are clean towels if we've taken a shower in the afternoon. Plus turndown service, Funtimes, & towel animal.

No need to vacuum or dust. We keep it clean & picked up ourselves.

If we are not able to get this, we certainly would not reduce our tips. However, the cabin steward would also NOT receive any extra gratuity.

Edited by Sparky2

If your cabin getting serviced only once a day is your deciding factor on taking a Carnival cruise, please don't cruise Carnival. I do not want to be your neighbor. Its no big freaking deal. We were offered the choice of evening, morning or 2xday on recent Triumph cruise and chose morning only. It was fine. The cabin stayed clean, we got our towel animal and our ice bucket was always full. And we tipped our steward an additional $30 (for the 9 days). And our steward Nolito was wonderful and surprised us with a $25 wine coupon.

Excellent point!

If your cabin getting serviced only once a day is your deciding factor on taking a Carnival cruise, please don't cruise Carnival. I do not want to be your neighbor. Its no big freaking deal. We were offered the choice of evening, morning or 2xday on recent Triumph cruise and chose morning only. It was fine. The cabin stayed clean, we got our towel animal and our ice bucket was always full. And we tipped our steward an additional $30 (for the 9 days). And our steward Nolito was wonderful and surprised us with a $25 wine coupon.

Don't be a drama queen. If you only want a single service then you should tell the steward your desires. This rest of your thread is your opinion only. Many want twice daily...if that is a deal breaker for some (single only) then they can certainly chose to move on to another line. Having a hissy fit by saying, "I don't want to be your neighbor." is neither warranted or needed (IMHO, of course).

We're actually very tidy and don't appreciate your implication that we are slobs if we want service 2X a day.

As I said earlier we do like clean towels in the evening since we often shower twice a day on a cruise and towels don't dry out between showers in a ship's cabin. We need the ice bucket filled and the Fun Times left on the bed. None of those things are available to us and require the steward bringing them.

Most folks who want 2X a day service are very much like us - we don't expect a cleaning in the evening - we need towels, ice and the Fun Times.

Edited by summersigh