Once a Day Room Cleaning on Carnival?

How badly are people trashing these rooms to where they need them cleaned twice a day? I don't even need people making my bed. Just clean it after the cruise is over...

It's not the matter of a dirty room. It's the need for fresh towels and ice twice a day.

you know I hadn't thought about it much but I was on the Dream and they only offered morning or evening but nothing was said about both.

The steward apologized but said it was because he had more rooms to take care of and honestly he seemed a little overwhelmed.and honestly it bothered me very little except for the towels.

There was IMNO far less interacting with the stewards now then it was say 5 years ago. the steward would greet you by name and honestly you could always find one if you need one. but now they are very busy and I feel bad disturbing them because it seems like they are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work in front of them.

However I am booked on the Ecstasy in September and they have raised their rates for the tipping again. I believe its up to 16.00 per person almost double what it was a few years ago. and I have to admit if they only offer half the service it will bother me.

that being said I completely agree these people work very hard and deserve their tips. but it can be hard to rationalize paying almost double the tips <10pp to 16pp >for less service.

I would like them to institute a " discount " or something like that.

IE; if you pay 15pp you get once a day and if you pay a little more you get a little more..

I completely understand cost cutting for profitability but you cant keep cutting while at the same time raising prices...

Just an FYI - it is not $16/pp. It was just raised to $12.95/pp. Less than a dollar a person higher. In fact, our first cruise was in 2011 and I am pretty sure the tips were already around $10 or $11/pp, so no where near double.

As for the stewards telling you how many more rooms they have to do, don't forget to figure in how much more money they will be making from tips due to more rooms. So, don't let them try to convince you how because of their increased workload, they just can't do twice a day. Twice a day is still available for no extra charge!

It's not the matter of a dirty room. It's the need for fresh towels and ice twice a day.

That's insane. Or am I the only person here who hangs my towels up to dry in the bathroom and use the same towel for a week like I do at home. My does it need to be new each time?

As for the ice, I'm sure it wouldn't make up much time if the cabin stewards went in each of the rooms in the evening and just dropped off ice and left.

That's insane. Or am I the only person here who hangs my towels up to dry in the bathroom and use the same towel for a week like I do at home. My does it need to be new each time?

As for the ice, I'm sure it wouldn't make up much time if the cabin stewards went in each of the rooms in the evening and just dropped off ice and left.

Do you travel solo? There is not enough space in a room to hang towels for a family of 4 and expect them to dry. At home, yes, we do this no problem. In a cruise ship cabin? Maybe it's the tropical air or maybe it's the small room/bathroom and ventilation, but the towels do no dry.

Do you travel solo? There is not enough space in a room to hang towels for a family of 4 and expect them to dry. At home, yes, we do this no problem. In a cruise ship cabin? Maybe it's the tropical air or maybe it's the small room/bathroom and ventilation, but the towels do no dry.

They don't dry even for one person. Perhaps if you are bald and don't have any hair, then the towel will soak up less water. But I have a thick head of long hair and my towels do not dry in that tiny non ventilated bathroom, either. I don't know how many times we need to say this. Geez!

Edited by firemanbobswife

Ok, good point if the towels do not dry. But in that case, it can't possible take up that much time just stopping in each room to change the towels and ice. Skip the damn towel animals, and don't worry about untucking the bed sheets and vacuuming the floor that you haven't stepped on all day. Just switching those two things shouldn't count as an entire 'room clean' service.

Ok, good point if the towels do not dry. But in that case, it can't possible take up that much time just stopping in each room to change the towels and ice. Skip the damn towel animals, and don't worry about untucking the bed sheets and vacuuming the floor that you haven't stepped on all day. Just switching those two things shouldn't count as an entire 'room clean' service.

Cleaning/Servicing terms are interchangeable in regards to this thread. Either they stop by your cabin once or twice. If they get you ice or change out your towels, it is being serviced. In the grand scheme of things, it takes no more time really to tuck your sheets in/fold them down and wipe down the bathroom than just doing the other things.

I have only seen them vacuum my cabin once a day if that. I am a very neat person and don't require it constantly.

So the issue is not WHAT they do while in your cabin, but how many times per day they will be in there. Once a day service = towels, ice, etc morning OR afternoon. Twice a day service = those things morning AND evening. If you want them to service your cabin either once or twice a day and only do certain things let them know. As far as a lot of us are concerned, we want them to stop by our cabins twice a day. We can then tailor our wants/needs from there.

Cleaning/Servicing terms are interchangeable in regards to this thread. Either they stop by your cabin once or twice. If they get you ice or change out your towels, it is being serviced. In the grand scheme of things, it takes no more time really to tuck your sheets in/fold them down and wipe down the bathroom than just doing the other things.

I have only seen them vacuum my cabin once a day if that. I am a very neat person and don't require it constantly.

So the issue is not WHAT they do while in your cabin, but how many times per day they will be in there. Once a day service = towels, ice, etc morning OR afternoon. Twice a day service = those things morning AND evening. If you want them to service your cabin either once or twice a day and only do certain things let them know. As far as a lot of us are concerned, we want them to stop by our cabins twice a day. We can then tailor our wants/needs from there.

Exactly

They don't dry even for one person. Perhaps if you are bald and don't have any hair, then the towel will soak up less water. But I have a thick head of long hair and my towels do not dry in that tiny non ventilated bathroom, either. I don't know how many times we need to say this. Geez!

As my kids won't even let me pee alone, I haven't been able to sneak away on a cruise to test this so I will have to take your word. Or maybe I'll slip away tonight while they are sleeping and jump onto the nearest cruise ship.

I don't even care about ice. I have no use for it, personally, but I've seen here how many must have a full ice bucket for whatever reason. To be honest though, cruising is still a novelty for us and my kids do love the towel animals. You can get my ice, and I'll take your towel animals. Heh.

People on social media are reporting they are being told one or the other on Victory, Dream, and Ecstasy. Others on the Dream say they are not being asked and are getting 2x service.

It seems like they reduced the number of stewards and some are truly overloaded now so they are trying to tell guests they can only have one or the other even though the company back tracked from that position.

I feel bad for the stewards. No win situation for them. More work, less resources, and ticking off guests.

But 75% more money. ;)

I don't believe fewer stewards and more means they make significantly more now

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

I have my doubts too, but the numbers would lead one to believe that it's raining money on them. I'm sure it's going somewhere. ;)

• 2 years later...

On the last 3 Carnival ships I have been on in the past year,  I was approached by the steward and asked if I wanted Morning or Evening turnover. I was not given the option of twice per day. I picked morning on all three of them. On the March '19 cruise I asked if I could get the ice bucket filled in the evening tho because that was when I used it most and filling it in the morning left water by evening. Well, every day it was filled in the MORNING. I did NOT change my tips, but I kind of feel like if I am only getting service half the time, I should pay half the tip. I did not give the extra tips that I usually do give the stewards tho. March I was on Conquest. 

My real question is, if you only get one turnover per day, do the stewards just get more rooms to clean or do they get some more time off? 

Edited by Teedlebeet

1 hour ago, Teedlebeet said:

On the last 3 Carnival ships I have been on in the past year,  I was approached by the steward and asked if I wanted Morning or Evening turnover. I was not given the option of twice per day. I picked morning on all three of them. On the March '19 cruise I asked if I could get the ice bucket filled in the evening tho because that was when I used it most and filling it in the morning left water by evening. Well, every day it was filled in the MORNING. I did NOT change my tips, but I kind of feel like if I am only getting service half the time, I should pay half the tip. I did not give the extra tips that I usually do give the stewards tho. March I was on Conquest. 

My real question is, if you only get one turnover per day, do the stewards just get more rooms to clean or do they get some more time off? 

Ok....no