Britannia - no dancing / music in central atrium?

Flo71

I was hoping that as the Britannia and Royal Princess are same model of ship that P&O might have used the central atrium area as a piazza with dancing/acts/music as Princess do but looking on you tube it would seem not.

Whilst being sister ships Britannia actually has a dedicated dance venue, the Crystal lounge. It was excellent but the live band were not great. The dance instructors were also good and played excellent dance music when the band were on breaks.

The Britannia atrium has central seating no space for dancing whatsoever. It was a pretty dull place in the evenings.

We were on a "Strictly" themed cruise so there were perhaps more dancers than usual. Whilst the dance floor was a good size you had to master your floor craft when it got busy.

It was more that it livened the whole area up than the opportunity to dance, there was always something on there from early morning to late evening. I really enjoyed the area, would be back on the Royal like a shot but am tied with dates and don't want to fly.

The Crystal lounge is a good sized venue and dedicated to ballroom dancing. The lower level of the atrium has lots of seats that would be lost if there was dancing there too. There was a pianist in the atrium most evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We found the atrium resembled a retirement home, also a lot of the Glass house was taken by people reading all day, very frustrating when you wanted to eat, drink there, we went to the Crows Nest one day for a drink and couldn't find a seat, once again not drinking just reading, really missed the afternoon quizzes there, no atmosphere at all.

We found the atrium resembled a retirement home, also a lot of the Glass house was taken by people reading all day, very frustrating when you wanted to eat, drink there, we went to the Crows Nest one day for a drink and couldn't find a seat, once again not drinking just reading, really missed the afternoon quizzes there, no atmosphere at all.

Can I ask how the Emerald compared to the Royal, atmosphere, food and entertainment wise - the Emerald is a possible option from Southampton.

Thanks in advance

There was a pianist in the atrium most evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, can I ask when you sailed on Britannia? It is interesting to note that there was a pianist playing as there was no music at all when we went last July / August.

Hi, can I ask when you sailed on Britannia? It is interesting to note that there was a pianist playing as there was no music at all when we went last July / August.

We were on the 2nd sailing in March 2015. The piano was in a corner towards the lifts.

We were on the 2nd sailing in March 2015. The piano was in a corner towards the lifts.

Strange - remember the piano and had photos taken by it. Sadly no one played it the whole fortnight we were on board. There was a lot of noise (sorry music) coming from the venue by the atrium so perhaps they thought we wanted to hear that instead.

We are on Oceana this year and are hoping that we hear that lovely sound of someone playing the piano in the atrium on her. :)

Would be interested to know what people who have been on Britannia recently say about the atrium and any 'music'.

:)

No music in the atrium on Britannia over Christmas, apart from the passengers' choir one afternoon and the four singers from the Headliners singing carols/Christmas songs one evening, which would have been lovely had it not been at ear-splitting volume (and I say that as a fifty-something with teenagers, so used to loud music!). We were having dinner in the Glasshouse and it really spoiled our meal - conversation was impossible. We did ask for it to be turned down a little and were told it couldn't be done.

I was hoping that as the Britannia and Royal Princess are same model of ship that P&O might have used the central atrium area as a piazza with dancing/acts/music as Princess do but looking on you tube it would seem not.

We have been on both ships Royal Princess being th first one.

We found the atrium on Britannia very disappointing after being on Royal Princess which is much nicer and was very lively every evening with a live band.

Britannias atrium did not have the same wow factor and was used very little and was a waste of space.

We found the atrium resembled a retirement hometot, also a lot of the Glass house was taken by people reading all day, very frustrating when you wanted to eat, drink there, we went to the Crows Nest one day for a drink and couldn't find a seat, once again not drinking just reading, really missed the afternoon quizzes there, no atmosphere at all.

Totally agree, the atrium is a waste of space, no atmosphere at all. The lounges are always so busy you can never find a table. The entertainment on Brittannia needs shaking up, very poor overall. The most boring cruise we have ever done. Never again on her.

We found the atrium resembled a retirement home

Strange we said exactly the same thing about the Crystal Room. We were on over Easter and it was by far the least utilised of all the ships venues. During most evenings only attracted the same 3 or 4 couples, plus staff.

Obviously the clientele and the atmosphere changes from cruise to cruise. We hated the live lounge after 10.30pm because it was packed every night, with the disco like a mosh pit on some nights (don't want to go back to those days!)

I was on Britannia a couple of weeks ago and yes I agree that the atrium is not as it should be on such a nice big ship. There was no music, no atmosphere, no life at all really,,just photographers and waiters! It's a beautiful ship but definately lacks azura's elegance and style. I'm on Britannia again in a couple of weeks to the fjords and am obviously looking forward to it cos it's away,,it's not work,, but do find myself wishing I had booked Azura. Am cross as well cos have been given the wrong cabin grade we paid for so have that argument to come!

Whilst Britannia's atrium may lack atmosphere at night it ought to be remembered that there is the Crow's nest, the Limelight club, Brodie's, the Crystal room and the Live lounge for some evening life/entertainment. There's two speciality restaurants too.

Perhaps that's why Britannia's atrium resembles a nursing home. The coffin dodgers don't want to part with any money so it's easy to sit there and read a book!

Never had that problem with the Glass House when we were onboard and similarly with the Market Cafe - also on the Atrium, ground floor...

16964674891_1b43038181_z.jpg

Everyone was too busy eating the excellent food...

16964325792_751727c823_z.jpg

16779412439_39bcb607c5_z.jpg