Experience being off ship 2 days/nights visiting friend..then rejoin (same country)

lobster129

Has anyone been on a longer Celebrity cruise in which you got off the ship for a couple nights to visit friends in a European country ...and then rejoined the ship in the same country @ next port of call?

I just want to bring an overnight bag with us...and leave our other items on the ship. I do not want to cause any worry or issues for Celebrity.:o

MY TA contacted Celebrity on my behalf and was told it was up to the Capt. to decide. Certainly I do not wish to wait until then. :(

Asked about why they allow someone that "misses the ship" in a port to rejoin @ next port and was informed "that's different...it's an accident":eek:

I would appreciate anyone with another experience to share how you managed it.:)

We were on an Azamara cruise 6 years ago and after informing guest relations we spent the night at a hotel in Cairo as the shipped moved from Port Said to Alexandria. The trip from the ports to Cairo was a long distance and we didn't want to take the time to travel back to the port just to go back to Cairo the next day. We left the ship with just our overnight bag and left everything else in our stateroom. We thought that we came up with a great ideal but met several other people in our hotel from ship so I guess great minds think alike.

I am the OP with the question. The first port after sailing from Amsterdam and having a sea day will the in northern Scotland near Inverness/Loch Ness. Then the ship sails to Edinburgh, Scotland for two days (an overnight).

Our hope is to have our friends pick us up near Inverness with overnight bags. We would spend 2 nights with them and then take the morning train to Edinburgh. Lunch with other cruise friend who live nearer Edinburgh. Ship sails @ 6PM.

We are US citizens with passports & Global Access. We are Elite on Celebrity but the only time I am aware of anyone Planning an overnight off the ship was when the ship was staying in port overnight.

I do not want the staff on Celebrity to worry about us that we have come to some harm and list us as "missing".:eek:

IMO we should be able to do "paperwork" way ahead to inform Celebrity that we will be off the ship for two nights & provide dates & locations. Why should we need to "accidentally miss the ship" to accomplish this???

We did consider flying post cruise from AMS to Glasgow, Scotland....but is is several hundred dollars each more + having to store some luggage in AMS. So many logistics we wish to avoid.

We are not sailing until summer 2017 but will want to purchase air tickets within the next few months....and I need to know before then.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. My experience with Cruise Critics is someone always knows!:D

Scotland offers a lot but is only 2/3 the size of the state of Iowa....so driving or taking a train cross country is NO problem!

Edited by lobster129

There is a place to write in to Celebrity to tell them of your intentions ahead of time. I will search for it and if I am successful, will come back to this post to let you know the particulars. I am only writing this comment so I can find your post again. This should be doable. The only concern I would have for you is if they need to skip the re-embarkation port for some unforeseen circumstance. It does happen once in awhile. Eg: we skipped Sydney in Nova Scotia once due to high winds. They had to alter the itinerary and we never made it to that port of call. It may not be risk you are willing to take??

Anyhow, I will look for that information and post it here if I find it.

I found it and it was easier than I thought. This information is directly from Celebrity. Please check back in on this thread and let us know their determination.

Partial Cruises/Down-line Embarkation:

All requests for down-line embarkation or early disembarkation must be submitted in writing for consideration at least one week prior to voyage commencement date.

Send all requests to emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com.

Information Needed to Process Request: All guests must have a confirmed booking in order for the Emergency Travel Team to process a down-line request.

•Guest's First and Last Name(s)

•Ship and Sail Date

•Booking Number

•Stateroom Number

•Location (port) to Embark / Disembark

•Date to Embark / Disembark

•Return e-mail or fax number

Edited by Cruise Raider

There is a place to write in to Celebrity to tell them of your intentions ahead of time. I will search for it and if I am successful, will come back to this post to let you know the particulars. I am only writing this comment so I can find your post again. This should be doable. The only concern I would have for you is if they need to skip the re-embarkation port for some unforeseen circumstance. It does happen once in awhile. Eg: we skipped Sydney in Nova Scotia once due to high winds. They had to alter the itinerary and we never made it to that port of call. It may not be risk you are willing to take??

Anyhow, I will look for that information and post it here if I find it.

I feel fairly confident that Celebrity will be able to make it to Edinburgh since the main reason many are selecting this itinerary is to attend the Edinburgh Military Tattoo at the entrance to Edinburgh Castle.

However...if something unusual should occur. The Next port is a ferry ride away to Belfast, Northern Ireland....and then 2 more days in Ireland.

We do carry two types of travel insurance also. Yes, a risk I am willing to take. Walking out the front door has risks. We will be in a civilized country and I make a Plan B & C for our travels.

Thanks again.

I found it and it was easier than I thought. This information is directly from Celebrity. Please check back in on this thread and let us know their determination.

Partial Cruises/Down-line Embarkation:

All requests for down-line embarkation or early disembarkation must be submitted in writing for consideration at least one week prior to voyage commencement date.

Send all requests to emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com.

Information Needed to Process Request: All guests must have a confirmed booking in order for the Emergency Travel Team to process a down-line request.

•Guest's First and Last Name(s)

•Ship and Sail Date

•Booking Number

•Stateroom Number

•Location (port) to Embark / Disembark

•Date to Embark / Disembark

•Return e-mail or fax number

Yes, my TA did locate this...but when he spoke with Celebrity he was told that was just for EMERGENCY Travel....and NOT for a planned voluntary event.

Otherwise it is up to the Captain to allow us to be off the ship and rejoin in another port.

Can it really be this difficult???

Yes, my TA did locate this...but when he spoke with Celebrity he was told that was just for EMERGENCY Travel....and NOT for a planned voluntary event.

Otherwise it is up to the Captain to allow us to be off the ship and rejoin in another port.

That is odd. Celebrity is who posted this information on this site and stated that it should be sent in well before the cruise for consideration. This was for someone that planned to disembark early ... not as an accident. With Celebrity, sometimes it is best to try try again until you get the answer you need. Too bad they are making this so difficult for you. Hopefully, they will chime in on this site to give you a definitive answer.

Note that Celebrity offers at least one excursion that does this. On the Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso itinerary they offer the option of leaving the ship in Manta, going to Machu Picchu, and rejoining the cruise later in Arica if my memory serves me correctly. And that involves time in 3 different countries! Your side trip in Scotland should not be that big a deal. Too bad you are stuck with a TA and can't call Celebrity directly.

We are planning to do the same thing in Ireland this July. I called Celebrity and they gave me the emergency travel team email. We completed waivers releasing liability if we miss the next port. I have a confirmation email form Raquel H @ Emergency Travel Team stating that our request has been approved.

Hope this helps you plan!

A friend recently planned something like this on a Transatlantic, and boy did it turn out badly. The ship missed the port in the UK where she was to rejoin and she ended up having to fly to Hamburg, which was its next stop. Wowsers! I don't think there's much chance of that happening in this case, but you never know……

A friend recently planned something like this on a Transatlantic, and boy did it turn out badly. The ship missed the port in the UK where she was to rejoin and she ended up having to fly to Hamburg, which was its next stop. Wowsers! I don't think there's much chance of that happening in this case, but you never know……

Occasionally good plans go bad. You can't the possibility that this may occur limit your travel plans.

DON

Celebrity actually offers this in Spain. You leave the ship in Cadiz and rejoin in Malaga. We were told it was the Captains decision and you are 100% completely on your own if you decide to do this. Think the OP first needs to fill out the request to the Emergency Team and see what happens. They approved this on my recent cruise for 3 or 4 couples weeks ahead.