Sail to Cuba on Princess's sister line Fathom

Dreamer333

I work for a TA, Fatham is a new cruise line focusing on 'social impact'. To my knowledge (I have not been on one of their cruises), excursions involve things that give back to the community, and there is a teambuilding/community feel encouraged onboard.

There is nothing informative on the Fathom boards, I was looking for detailed information about the first cruise. There is however 1 review from the first Cuba cruise and it is fairly detailed. I hope the link works.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=532945

Not really a glowing review, but this was the very first cruise. Hopefully they will get the kinks out on future cruises.

Have absolutely no interest in cruises to Cuba at this time let alone paying to have a "social impact" on Cuba.

It's doubtful you would have had much of a "social impact". It's been reported that all Cubans working in the tourist industry are employees of the state, are tasked with telling the official party line, are closely monitored by the Cuban government, and must turn over all revenue to the Cuban government who promptly pays them in worthless pesos. The only "social impact" you would have is increasing the wealth of the Cuban Government.

This is a communist country. If you are looking for a luxury cruise this is not it! Not sure why anyone would think it was! In the recent years People book charter tours to cuba for humanitarian reasons.

It's doubtful you would have had much of a "social impact". It's been reported that all Cubans working in the tourist industry are employees of the state, are tasked with telling the official party line, are closely monitored by the Cuban government, and must turn over all revenue to the Cuban government who promptly pays them in worthless pesos. The only "social impact" you would have is increasing the wealth of the Cuban Government.

If you went to Cuba and stayed at a resort, you would soon realize that people working in the tourism industry are in the top 1%.

There are lots of 'it has been reported', the challenge is to figure out what is correct.:)

I did a long land trip in Cuba and your statement is wrong. Yes - the people who work in the tourist industry do work for state run companies. However, the reason that they want those jobs and our Cuban guide used to be a high school teacher is that they make and can keep much more money (CUCs, not pesos) than the people who are paid in pesos.

Also, I am uncertain how true your statement that the tourist people must only tell the official party line. Our group asked our guide a lot of probing questions and we got answers that discussed the pluses and the many warts in the Cuban economy. If he was holding anything back, it was not obvious to us.

You say that "it's been reported" etc. By whom? Have you ever been to Cuba? Where do you get your knowledge?

DON

This is a communist country. If you are looking for a luxury cruise this is not it! Not sure why anyone would think it was! In the recent years People book charter tours to cuba for humanitarian reasons.

I would not expect it to be a luxury type cruise, but rather more for the experience of visiting Cuba.

Edited by RJ2002

I'm with you on not increasing the wealth of the Cuban Government. Just talk to some of your Cuban friends to get some feeling about how restrictive they really are. When they change their political election process we'll consider a trip but until then I can't see paying for a trip to keep the existing powers fat & happy while the Cuban citizens hardly get anything for it.

According to recent reports the Cuban government has just started loosening its restrictions of free enterprise. Just think more tourists will mean more fares for the taxi drivers, more money for restaurants, etc..

It maybe a slow change but there are many examples of economic freedom leading to political freedom. I believe one of them is the United States.

Take care,

Vinnie

According to recent reports the Cuban government has just started loosening its restrictions of free enterprise. Just think more tourists will mean more fares for the taxi drivers, more money for restaurants, etc..

It maybe a slow change but there are many examples of economic freedom leading to political freedom. I believe one of them is the United States.

Take care,

Vinnie

They already have lots of tourists.....3.5M/yr....not bad for a country of only 11.5M people.

Out of curiosity, why not on Fathom?

I have no problem visiting a Communist country; have been to China many times since 1999 and once spent a month in Shanghai. But Fathom seems to be very expensive for a minimal experience. Seven day cruise with three days in port where the least expensive inside cabin is $2500 plus the cost of a Cuba visa. Then your time ashore would not be time on your own, but some kind of government controlled "people to people exchange". I cruise for the fun of it, not to make an expensive political statement; thus Fathom is not for me.

They already have lots of tourists.....3.5M/yr....not bad for a country of only 11.5M people.

Too many Americans seem to be unaware that only Americans have little to no history with visiting Cuba.

I would visit Cuba in a snap but not with the restrictions of the U.S. government. It will happen...perhaps in a year or two we will have the same extended options as Canadians and the rest of the world. I would love to see it BEFORE all the American $$$ money ruins it.

Too many Americans seem to be unaware that only Americans have little to no history with visiting Cuba.

I would visit Cuba in a snap but not with the restrictions of the U.S. government. It will happen...perhaps in a year or two we will have the same extended options as Canadians and the rest of the world. I would love to see it BEFORE all the American $$$ money ruins it.

This has already occurred. We went to Cuba last year. My brother went this year and also a few years ago. According to him. Cuba was much better on his first trip than the recent one.

What is your problem with the current US restrictions? They did not impact our trip or his trips at all.

BTW - the reason that trips to Cuba are expensive is that the Cuban government knows that people want to go and charges the tour companies high prices for the privilege. I guess that that is what you cal capitalism.

DON

You say that "it's been reported" etc. By whom? Have you ever been to Cuba? Where do you get your knowledge?

DON

Wish I had kept the article but I did not. I do consider it a more credible source of information than someone working for the Castro government.

This has already occurred. We went to Cuba last year. My brother went this year and also a few years ago. According to him. Cuba was much better on his first trip than the recent one.

What is your problem with the current US restrictions? They did not impact our trip or his trips at all.

BTW - the reason that trips to Cuba are expensive is that the Cuban government knows that people want to go and charges the tour companies high prices for the privilege. I guess that that is what you cal capitalism.

DON

I don't know how you and your brother traveled to Cuba but I am aware that the U.S. still has travel restrictions. This may get taken off from this site but a simple google search explains the restrictions.

Can Americans Travel to Cuba?

If you’re wondering whether Americans can travel to Cuba, the answer is yes but not without a host of restrictions. Since the relationship between the U.S. and Cuba was restored in December 2014, Americans have been able to travel to Cuba under 12 categories of authorized trips. The Obama administration recently loosened sanctions, allowing Americans to travel to the country independently, as long as they complete a form declaring the visit an educational journey.

Cuba tourism is still technically outlawed, so if you want to book solo travel opting for an educational visit, you’ll need to plan a people-to-people trip, where you meet Cuban citizens in normal daily life settings, such as schools and community centers. Previously, Americans visiting for educational purposes were required to have a fully booked cultural itinerary, which meant booking a trip with a tour company, which could come with an average weekly price tag of $2,000 to $3,500 per person.

Is this anything similar to what you experienced? Just curious. I was also once told that traveling TO Cuba wasn't the problem...getting back into the U.S. MIGHT create a problem.