How "safe" is the Room Safe?

Hi all,

Fiance and I are leaving on our cruise on Freedom of the Seas this Sunday, and we're going to be bringing a good bit of cash along to pay for pretty much everything (we're going to avoid our debit cards at all costs - we just feel more comfortable this way).

My question is, how safe IS the safe in the room? I'd like to leave our important documents and extra cash in there when we're out and about but obviously it is worrisome. Am I over-worrying?

They do have a key that opens the safe if needed, but I've never had a problem with anything being taken. I don't believe the stateroom attendants have access (I had to call guest services when I needed it opened-- and a supervisor came). I leave my passport, kindle, and a fair amount of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

they do have a key that opens the safe if needed, but i've never had a problem with anything being taken. I don't believe the stateroom attendants have access (i had to call guest services when i needed it opened-- and a supervisor came). I leave my passport, kindle, and a fair amount of cash.

Sent from my iphone using forums mobile app

+1.

My parents once had an issue opening their safe. Two people came to the cabin and one was some type of officer. They logged my parents names, verified it was their room, and then opened the safe for them.

I have never felt at all uncomfortable leaving anything that I felt like in the safe.

They do have a key that opens the safe if needed, but I've never had a problem with anything being taken. I don't believe the stateroom attendants have access (I had to call guest services when I needed it opened-- and a supervisor came). I leave my passport, kindle, and a fair amount of cash. Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And jewelry:)

How big is the safe? Laptop? SLR Camera? Or is it just big enough for documents, Jewellery and money?

Possibly the camera but definitely no laptop.

Hi all,

Fiance and I are leaving on our cruise on Freedom of the Seas this Sunday, and we're going to be bringing a good bit of cash along to pay for pretty much everything (we're going to avoid our debit cards at all costs - we just feel more comfortable this way).

My question is, how safe IS the safe in the room? I'd like to leave our important documents and extra cash in there when we're out and about but obviously it is worrisome. Am I over-worrying?

We have never had a problem with the in room safes. Have 30 + cruises and not one problem. Leave important papers, jewelry, cameras and tablets.:)

My parents once had an issue opening their safe. Two people came to the cabin and one was some type of officer. They logged my parents names, verified it was their room, and then opened the safe for them.

I have never felt at all uncomfortable leaving anything that I felt like in the safe.

Did your parents have one of "The Blue Safes" by any chance?;) :D

Did your parents have one of "The Blue Safes" by any chance?;) :D

.....saw the thread title - couldn't get here fast enough to post first, but yours was highly expected! :D

Some things never fade away.......;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How big is the safe? Laptop? SLR Camera? Or is it just big enough for documents, Jewellery and money?

May need to turn an iPad or similar size tablet on an angle to fit in the safe.

Can you explain this post?

Are you saying that "+1." will open the safe?

I'll do it for you.

"+1" means that you are adding yourself as one who agrees with the previous or quoted post. I could then add +2, to mean I also agree.

Obviously it has nothing to do with a code to open the safe. I mean, did you really mean that????

Makes sense?

What are your concerns? The safe is safe. The cabin stewards cannot open the safe (can you imagine the implications if they could? Awful.

Can you explain this post?

It means they agree with what was said. Other members could come along and post +2, +3, +4, etc. and it means they agree. :)

EDITED to add: loubetti, typing at the same time as you. I meant no disrespect in copying pretty much exactly what you said! :D

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I'll do it for you.

"+1" means that you are adding yourself as one who agrees with the previous or quoted post. I could then add +2, to mean I also agree.

Obviously it has nothing to do with a code to open the safe. I mean, did you really mean that????

Makes sense?

Thanks for the explanation. That is a new one for me! I have never seen that used before:o

What are your concerns? The safe is safe. The cabin stewards cannot open the safe (can you imagine the implications if they could? Awful.

It means they agree with what was said. Other members could come along and post +2, +3, +4, etc. and it means they agree. :)

EDITED to add: loubetti, typing at the same time as you. I meant no disrespect in copying pretty much exactly what you said! :D

Thanks to you too:o

We have been locked out of a cabin safe on two occasions. The first one we had the type where you put your own combo in via a key pad. The person who opened it used a key device and we were able to enter our own combo.

The second was the type where you use a credit card to lock and open the safe. The master card brought by the person sent to open it did not work. The safe had to be drilled to open it. It was then replaced.

I feel comfortable leaving expensive items in the safe; however, I recommend you establish a double check system for each time you leave the cabin. You cannot be too cautious here since more than your cabin attendant has access to your cabin e.g., the bar server who checks the minibar contents daily.

Edited by Scotty G

I'll echo what others have said and add my own experience.

These are the same kinds of safes you'd find in hotel rooms. They are about as safe as you can get on vacation.

The one time we had issues with being locked out, a crew member (not stateroom attendant) showed up (quickly) with a sign in sheet (took our info) and used a master key to open the safe.

The size of the safe varies from ship to ship. Sometimes my iPad fits, barely. Other times, not so much.