CARNIVAL Specific Doc Question

dawnjam1

I am taking some nervous new cruisers on a trip June 5th on the Breeze. I have led several group cruises and have never had this question asked so much but now I need to see if anyone has experience with the following.

First of all, my passport is ALSO expiring in two days so I am using my Birth Certificate and ID. Never had an issue with this but I DO understand it is better to have the Passport, and will have renewed upon my return. I am not looking for the Carnival Guidelines as I have sent those out on my own several times today....Just experiences....

Someone told one of the cruisers that her son just returned from a trip and that they did not let him off the boat in a port because he didn't have a passport. Now....my first thought is that either something on the front end was wrong, or that there is more to the story. This could have been any number of things including a non closed loop. And IF this is true, that would mean half the ship would have had to miss a port!

With all of that being said....anyone have this happen????

Can't speak specifically to Carnival, but can speak about this happening.

Sailed in August last with my family and three (3) non related young people. Two of them had passports, one did not. Closed loop cruise out of Port Canaveral, Western Caribbean.

She was not 18, used her drivers license and her birth certificate (official, not from the hospital). We showed everything at check in, and that was it. When we got off in port (Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman) she took her DL with her as proof of ID.

No one stopped her, no one told her she could not get off. Not sure why someone would say this, but on closed loop cruises, passports are not required. Recommended yes. Required, no. At least for US citizens sailing and returning to the same US port.

Requirements may be different on repositioning cruises, and particularly for non US citizens.

I am taking some nervous new cruisers on a trip June 5th on the Breeze. I have led several group cruises and have never had this question asked so much but now I need to see if anyone has experience with the following.

First of all, my passport is ALSO expiring in two days so I am using my Birth Certificate and ID. Never had an issue with this but I DO understand it is better to have the Passport, and will have renewed upon my return. I am not looking for the Carnival Guidelines as I have sent those out on my own several times today....Just experiences....

Someone told one of the cruisers that her son just returned from a trip and that they did not let him off the boat in a port because he didn't have a passport. Now....my first thought is that either something on the front end was wrong, or that there is more to the story. This could have been any number of things including a non closed loop. And IF this is true, that would mean half the ship would have had to miss a port!

There is more to the story.

He would not have been allowed to board without a passport if he was going anywhere where one was required

There is more to the story.

He would not have been allowed to board without a passport if he was going anywhere where one was required

EXACTLY! Plus, half the ship wouldn't be getting off! LOL!

I lost my passport two days before leaving for a cruise a while back and used my DL and BC with seal with no problems. I've continued using my DL and BC for my last two cruises and will do so again this weekend.

There is definitely more to the story...

All of our cruises were with birth certificates and IDs with the exception of the last one where DW and I used EDL's, but even then the two kids still used their BC with government ID. I am also thinking there's a "rest of the story" thing going on.

No one checks documents when you get off the ship in a port on a closed loop cruise.

The only thing you do is show your sign n sail card so they have a record of everyone who leaves the ship.

There is definitely something missing from this story!

No one checks documents when you get off the ship in a port on a closed loop cruise.

The only thing you do is show your sign n sail card so they have a record of everyone who leaves the ship.

There is definitely something missing from this story!

Actually one way that OP's friend's story makes sense is if they were calling on a Canadian port and the passenger in question had a DUI offense on his record. They will not allow you to disembark in Canada if that is the case (as I understand it this information is checked after the ship sails which is why boarding isn't denied in the first place).

If you want to renew, you still have time to get a passport renewed. They will expedite for extenuating circumstances, such as an imminent trip.

Not sure if there is an extra fee for this.

If you want to renew, you still have time to get a passport renewed. They will expedite for extenuating circumstances, such as an imminent trip.

Not sure if there is an extra fee for this.

The last time I had to get an expedited passport, it cost me about $250... :eek:

But....none of us need it. It is leaving from Galveston, we are from the Houston area, it is returning here. I just HATE, and I am betting MANY of my fellow CC friends will agree, that when ANYONE finds out you are cruising or that you LOVE cruising, like most of us, they have EVERY horror story in the book PLUS some to throw out! The unfortunate thing for me on this one is that they are hitting inexperienced cruisers and making my job harder! LOL!

But....none of us need it. It is leaving from Galveston, we are from the Houston area, it is returning here. I just HATE, and I am betting MANY of my fellow CC friends will agree, that when ANYONE finds out you are cruising or that you LOVE cruising, like most of us, they have EVERY horror story in the book PLUS some to throw out! The unfortunate thing for me on this one is that they are hitting inexperienced cruisers and making my job harder! LOL!

Fear mongers mongering fear! :eek:

Actually one way that OP's friend's story makes sense is if they were calling on a Canadian port and the passenger in question had a DUI offense on his record. They will not allow you to disembark in Canada if that is the case (as I understand it this information is checked after the ship sails which is why boarding isn't denied in the first place).

This answer is what I was thinking also. If he had been convicted of any crime equivalent to a Canadian Federal Offense then he would have been inadmissible to Canada. This includes, DUI, Assault, Fraud for example.

They will believe the fear mongers about needing a passport but not official word from Carnivals own pages? You do have a tough job. (BTW, I choose to cruise with a passport but always make it clear that is MY choice not a requirement for most cruises)

Fear mongers mongering fear! :eek:

Exactly. So many posters here pay a one time fee for FTTF, yet have to wait in some horrendous lines at airports and Customs because they can't use an expedited lane for Global Entry, TSA pre check or passport holders.

In FLL departing the Conquest last month, hundreds were lined up in the regular Customs line as I walked right up through the G.E. aisle and went right to the agent.

The money spent for G.E. is over a 5 yr period. FTTF accounts for 1 cruise.

Keep ignoring those fear mongerers, that keeps my lines and wait times down to a minimum.

Edited by evandbob

Exactly. So many posters here pay a one time fee for FTTF, yet have to wait in some horrendous lines at airports and Customs because they can't use an expedited lane for Global Entry, TSA pre check or passport holders.

In FLL departing the Conquest last month, hundreds were lined up in the regular Customs line as I walked right up through the G.E. aisle and went right to the agent.

Keep ignoring those fear mongerers, that keeps my lines and wait times down to a minimum.

I didn't know G.E. got you through cruise customs quicker. That is pretty awesome!

I have TSA pre check and will have to look at the global entry now since I take 2 cruises a year it seems like. TSA pre check has more tha paid for itself with all the flying I do for work.

If one travels enough to warrant the expense than it is worth it. Has nothing to do with fear.

I have TSA pre check and will have to look at the global entry now since I take 2 cruises a year it seems like. TSA pre check has more tha paid for itself with all the flying I do for work.

We also purchased TSA Pre-check last year. I sure wish we had known about Global Entry because for a few bucks more, we would have had both.

I keep meaning to apply for Pre-check but I never think about it until about a week before I need to travel. I do wonder how long those lines will stay short now that regular lines have gotten beyond ridiculous.

In February when coming back from my cruise, the PreCheck line at MIA for AA was crazy long. Most of us couldn't believe it was in fact for PreCheck. The security person said the other one hadn't opened yet because it was too early. They need to get that fixed ASAP as well.