My Cruise was Cancelled

doone

Got a call from my TA yesterday, my March 19, 2017 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise cancelled by HAL. I will assume the ship was chartered, but gees it's a little late in the game. So glad we don't have our airfare purchased yet.

All is good as We are fortunate that we just backed our cruise up by 1 day and are now sailing March 18th on the Eurodam same itinerary and were able to get the same cabins. While I am sad we won't be on the NA, I am glad to be on a Dam ship!!

Edited by doone

Got a call from my TA yesterday, my March 19, 2017 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise cancelled by HAL. I will assume the ship was chartered, but gees it's a little late in the game. So glad we don't have our airfare purchased yet.

All is good as We are fortunate that we just backed our cruise up by 1 day and are now sailing March 18th on the Eurodam same itinerary and were able to get the same cabins. While I am sad we won't be on the NA, I am glad to be on a Dam ship!!

Sorry to hear it was cancelled, and yes, 99% sure it was a charter.

Late in the game? It was 10 months in advance. Airfare only becomes available 11 months in advance (331 days). Very likely the ship was still very very empty, and had you already booked your air (independently) HAL will cover the change fees of the flights - not the difference in fare and not a refund, your tickets still carry a value - but you would be "made whole" for the extra FEE you wouldn't have otherwise encountered.

What was the itinerary please? We are sailing NA the next month. Thanks.

Sorry that happened to you.

Glad you were able to get the cabins you wanted on the Eurodam.

We have long proposed that the cruise industry enter into a pact that gives significant compensation (and 100% refund on any air) to customers for cancelled (or overbooked) cruises...when the action is taken within a year of the cruise! The reason we suggest a year is that some folks purchase airline tickets as far out as 11 months...and an additional month takes into account they may have planned on starting their trip in advance of the cruise.

The reality is that none of the mass market lines give a hoot about their customers when it comes to charters or large groups. In fact, they do everything possible to keep large group bookings a secret so as to not drive away other customers!

Unfortunately, the cruise lines will likely never voluntarily agree to any plan that benefits their regular customers. This is a situation, similar to the cruise "fee and port charge" issue a few years ago that is only going to be resolved when a group of cruisers (or a consumer group) goes to court and tries to certify a class action suit.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

They offered shipboard credit, we are happy and we are very fortunate we were able to make a quick decision and rebook without much disruption, we are happy.

Yes it's the Western Caribbean......

This happened to our Mexico cruise for next fall. I learned that it had been chartered by a vegan group approx 2-3 weeks prior to notification by HAL. We received OBC and changed to the next week with the same cabin and the Explore 4 promotion moved with us. It was possible to change the date on our travel insurance policy and hotel reservation. Luckily we had not made air reservations.

It is an aggravation when trying to determine what is happening and what to do next.

We have long proposed that the cruise industry enter into a pact that gives significant compensation (and 100% refund on any air) to customers for cancelled (or overbooked) cruises...when the action is taken within a year of the cruise! The reason we suggest a year is that some folks purchase airline tickets as far out as 11 months...and an additional month takes into account they may have planned on starting their trip in advance of the cruise.

The reality is that none of the mass market lines give a hoot about their customers when it comes to charters or large groups. In fact, they do everything possible to keep large group bookings a secret so as to not drive away other customers!

Unfortunately, the cruise lines will likely never voluntarily agree to any plan that benefits their regular customers. This is a situation, similar to the cruise "fee and port charge" issue a few years ago that is only going to be resolved when a group of cruisers (or a consumer group) goes to court and tries to certify a class action suit.

Hank

I can guarantee you would never see the refund of independently booked air. The airlines have their own policies and I can just about assure you wouldn't give a "dam" about whatever a cruise line may have done. Their policy is their policy. The tickets are next to always non refundable and non transferable and a change fee is required to rebook the value of your ticket on something else. Most airlines will only refund a non refundable ticket of you can produce a body and death certificate of a passenger on the booking or MAYBE an immediate relative. Literally parent, spouse or child. MAYBE.

As for the add a month in case a trip is starting early, there's two flaws in that logic. 1) I know some can but I would expect that the VAST majority of people of the age and means to travel the world do not do month long or greater vacations. 2) Even if they book a year out because they will travel for a month prior to the cruise the 331 day rule applies to the return flight date. Not just when the trip has to start by. Very few people would voluntarily spend more to get a one way ticket and then much later on book another one way ticket. It's more money, not nearly as convenient and can result in more fees (double in fact) if you have two separate tickets booked (each ticket will carry its own rules and own fees).

100% refund on any cruise fare lid I absolutely agree with. And an onboard credit is nice for the inconvenience/frustration. I believe for most 7-14 day cruises it usually ranges $75-200 depending on the category you book...? I know it is variable.

But to expect full refunds, them to somehow override the airlines and the airline policies AND provide "significant compensation" on top of that? Why stop there? Don't you want a ship named after you? A cruise where you can play captain? Maybe your own charter for just you and your 30 closest friends? There's definitely a limit of what is reasonable and I feel that the current approach is more than reasonable

Edited by InTheWASide

I can guarantee you would never see the refund of independently booked air. The airlines have their own policies and I can just about assure you wouldn't give a "dam" about whatever a cruise line may have done. Their policy is their policy. The tickets are next to always non refundable and non transferable and a change fee is required to rebook the value of your ticket on something else. Most airlines will only refund a non refundable ticket of you can produce a body and death certificate of a passenger on the booking or MAYBE an immediate relative. Literally parent, spouse or child. MAYBE.

As for the add a month in case a trip is starting early, there's two flaws in that logic. 1) I know some can but I would expect that the VAST majority of people of the age and means to travel the world do not do month long or greater vacations. 2) Even if they book a year out because they will travel for a month prior to the cruise the 331 day rule applies to the return flight date. Not just when the trip has to start by. Very few people would voluntarily spend more to get a one way ticket and then much later on book another one way ticket. It's more money, not nearly as convenient and can result in more fees (double in fact) if you have two separate tickets booked (each ticket will carry its own rules and own fees).

100% refund on any cruise fare lid I absolutely agree with. And an onboard credit is nice for the inconvenience/frustration. I believe for most 7-14 day cruises it usually ranges $75-200 depending on the category you book...? I know it is variable.

But to expect full refunds, them to somehow override the airlines and the airline policies AND provide "significant compensation" on top of that? Why stop there? Don't you want a ship named after you? A cruise where you can play captain? Maybe your own charter for just you and your 30 closest friends? There's definitely a limit of what is reasonable and I feel that the current approach is more than reasonable

You missed my point. We do not see this as an airline issue...but rather a cruise line issue. It is the cruise line that publishes their schedule and accepts a deposit (promise plus consideration equals a contract) for the cruise. When the cruise line intentionally breaches that agreement it is the cruise line (not the airlines) who should make whole, all those who (in good faith) booked the cruise. But the cruise line's position is that even though you booked that cruise in good faith, the fine print of the agreement gives the cruise line the right to modify, cancel, etc. for any reason! Until such time as somebody (or a group) tests this agreement in court...cruisers will continue to get screwed!

It is one thing when a cruise is cancelled for a force majeure.....but cancelling a cruise (or bookings) because the cruise line makes a better deal with somebody else (or a group) is simply acting in bad faith. And the only loser are the cruisers who book far in advance (which the cruise lines encourage) and solidify their plans by entering into other financial obligations (air tickets, non-refundable hotel/resort arrangements, etc).

Hank

We had to cancel a short cruise with another line due to an illness in the family and had booked air separately. It was a non-refundable but we could change date and destination within a certain time period. When we couldn't find anything we were able to donate the tickets or the cost of the tickets to a favorite charity and deduct it as a regular donation on US taxes. They could use the flight credit within the time period.

In 2015 -- we got a call from our TA that Seattle decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam longer in Europe and our Caribbean cruises on her were cancelled.

We were fortunate that we were able to book the Eurodam and did get a little compensation. And we had refundable airline tickets and were able to change the dates for the hotels.

Just sayin': Well, back in 2006 I did get one from Princess. I was booked on a transAtlantic cruise on the Star Princess; a few months before the cruise the ship had a serious fire which required extensive repairs. The fire was in the Caribbean and the repairs were to be done at a ship yard in Germany. This necessitated Princess cancelling several cruises including the one I was booked on. I received a full refund for the cruise, 25% off on a future cruise in the same category cabin, and a full refund (from Princess) for my nonrefundable air. I did have to submit documentation to Princess to show what I paid for the air and that it was nonrefundable.

Just sayin': Well, back in 2006 I did get one from Princess. I was booked on a transAtlantic cruise on the Star Princess; a few months before the cruise the ship had a serious fire which required extensive repairs. The fire was in the Caribbean and the repairs were to be done at a ship yard in Germany. This necessitated Princess cancelling several cruises including the one I was booked on. I received a full refund for the cruise, 25% off on a future cruise in the same category cabin, and a full refund (from Princess) for my nonrefundable air. I did have to submit documentation to Princess to show what I paid for the air and that it was nonrefundable.

Definitely in an extraordinary situation like that they would possibly consider it. Run of the mill charter or redeploy though... no way

The closest we came was on Princess. Two months out they wanted our cabin.

In return they gave us a full refund, a free cruise of the same duration of our choosing, free upgrade from balcony to mini site, AND up to $300 to offset the cost of airline fees/cancellation. They honoured the latter on submission of documentation. It was a screamin' deal. Hope they do it again to us in the future.

We no longer book air in advance for overseas flights. The only exception is reward air travel which can easily be changed/cancelled with little or no penalty.

Our experience over the past three or four years has been that good air (overseas) can be found 60 days out, sometimes even much closer. We never used to think that until we booked a SE Asia flight ten days out at an extremely low price. Did the same with a Europe flight since that time.

We did not wait for a sweetener. It took us two seconds to say yes and another minute to get a confirmation memo.

Our on line TA told us that this is, in her experience, the standard offer that Princess makes in these circumstances.

We were quite impressed. Princess made the offer through our on line TA. She emailed us. Then she arranged a three way con call between us and the Princess rep. It was done in two minutes.

Princess follow up was second to none, most especially for the small air refund. Princess customer service was top notch-thorough, responsive, detail oriented, and accurate.

We just hope we have the same situation next time we book a Princess cruise!

Edited by iancal