Live from Mariner May 18-June 1. Vancouver to Vancouver (with Alaska in between)

RachelG

Your meal with Daniela sounds amazing. We were on the Mariner with her in March during her very first cruise as F&B manager. Unfortunately (for us) she was too occupied with the new and numerous challenges facing her to have time to visit. It was wonderful to see her in her new role. We will do Alaska in late August but my guess is Daniela will be on a much needed vacation by then.

Hats off to Regent for recognizing and promoting female talent.

Also thanks for the wonderful day to day sharing of your cruise.

Ann

Daniela will be on vacation in August. She is going to board Explorer in Rome the same day as we do in August.

They have been asking our room number when checking in at the restaurants this cruise. Never saw that before, so don't know what it is about.

Daniela will be on vacation in August. She is going to board Explorer in Rome the same day as we do in August.

They have been asking our room number when checking in at the restaurants this cruise. Never saw that before, so don't know what it is about.

First, thank you for the wonderful photos and commentary of your cruise. I'm sure we would have enjoyed being onboard more than we enjoyed New York (although NYC has great food:-)

IMO, there is no good reason why they are asking for suite numbers (but I can think of not so good reasons why they are doing it). Will have to wait and see when we are onboard the Explorer.

Edited by Travelcat2

First, thank you for the wonderful photos and commentary of your cruise. I'm sure we would have enjoyed being onboard more than we enjoyed New York (although NYC has great food:-)

IMO, there is no good reason why they are asking for suite numbers (but I can think of not so good reasons why they are doing it). Will have to wait and see when we are onboard the Explorer.

We missed you guys!

Rachel, you have done such a great job with this blog, I never really had anything to interject. Tonight is the last night of an absolutely perfect cruise....great friends, great weather, great fun.....and a special bonus - I finally got to meet Poss! Lunch in Vancouver tomorrow with Jackie and Dennis and then, sadly, heading home to plan our next adventure!

Editing to add: Jackie the reason they are asking for suite numbers is so they can track where people are eating and at what time.....all in an effort to provide better service.

Edited by Anna B.
adding to comment

Rachel, you have done such a great job with this blog, I never really had anything to interject. Tonight is the last night of an absolutely perfect cruise....great friends, great weather, great fun.....and a special bonus - I finally got to meet Poss! Lunch in Vancouver tomorrow with Jackie and Dennis and then, sadly, heading home to plan our next adventure!

Editing to add: Jackie the reason they are asking for suite numbers is so they can track where people are eating and at what time.....all in an effort to provide better service.

We really enjoyed meeting you and Al. I asked the waiter tonight why he wanted my suite number. He said it was to provide better service and be able to address us by our name, which he did.

Really excited to see you both tomorrow😹 It would have been fun to sail with you, Al, Rachel and George again. Maybe we can all sail on the Explorer sometime (fingers crossed)

Still think the suite number thing is a bit weird.

Hi, Rachel:

Thank you for your posts and wonderful pictures. Appreciate the info and comments which will all make our upcoming Alaskan cruise so much the better. Hope you were able to meet John and Karen who are great friends.

Travel safe!

Z and TB

Thanks for a great cruise-blog; your photos and descriptions were superb

IMO, there is no good reason why they are asking for suite numbers (but I can think of not so good reasons why they are doing it).

Still think the suite number thing is a bit weird.

Tc2 - Do tell; what is your conspiracy theory?

Glad you all had a great cruise, it sounded fantastic. I'm hoping Poss and her husband enjoyed it too--maybe we'll hear from her when she gets home.

Poss and her husband were out and about, and seemed to be having a good time. Hopefully she will chime in once she gets home.

June 1, 2016--Vancouver, Canada- disembarkation

Passages indicated that we would need to be out of our rooms no later than 8 am with the latest disembarkation to be at 9 am. We were out at 8 sharp only to find that disembarkation had not started yet. At 8:10, they came on with the announcement that the delay was due to the shore side baggage handlers not having off loaded all the luggage. About 8:20, they did start calling luggage tag colors. We had selected 9:00 as our time since our flight was not until 12:50, and they called our color precisely at 9:00, so they caught up quickly.

We easily found our bags and went out to the area where pre-reserved town cars and limos were to pick us up. Another big delay. We gave our name to the dispatcher who said our car was waiting and that she would summon it from the lot. The problem was that they only would allow 4-5 town cars into the area at one time, so there was a big log jam. We had to wait about 25 minutes.

The line for taxis was even worse, especially as it appeared that they were feeding the holland America passengers and regent passengers into the taxi line. At least the town car area was just for regent.

Traffic was heavy, so it took awhile to get to the airport, and we arrived there at 10:30. Quick check in with AA, then a huge long line to get through security and customs.

We have global entry, but the lady guarding the global entry line would not let us in without a global entry card. I have never been asked for a card before. They just scanned my passport. The lady wouldn't budge, so we got in the main line. By this time, George is not happy. So I started rummaging around in wallet, and low and behold, I found my global entry card which I didn't even know I had. George didn't have one, but the lady let us by using mine. So that little fiasco took us about another 20 minutes.

Just recounting all this so people will know what to expect and be prepared time-wise. Fortunately we had allowed lots of time, but I would have been stressed if we had been on an earlier flight.

Thoughts on the trip:

The weather was perfect. We were probably just lucky, but I think this is an ideal time of year to travel in Alaska. The only downside is that Tracy Arm will likely be still inaccessible this early. And it is a bit early to really get good bear sightings or great salmon fishing (though the fishing in Seward was outstanding).

Kids on board were all well behaved. The toddler was a doll, probably due to her very attentive parents.

There was a large group from Puerto Rico aboard, apparently some sort of affinity group, who were quite noisy. They ruined the atmosphere in any venue where they gathered. Lots of drinking to excess, with accompanying loud talking and laughing, so much so that anyone else in the room couldn't carry on a conversation. I witnessed them being asked to quiet down a couple of times by ship staff, but they just ignored the instruction.

Food was as good as ever, with just a couple of less than super dishes.

The regular suites could use a refresh, but the public areas are beautiful and well maintained.

Staff seemed very happy and helpful with just a few exceptions. Entertainment could use a couple of new shows though as I have seen all the current ones several times.

Computer speed was best I have had at sea, so I think the upgrade really did work. Only one day where it was glitchy.

Most excursions were excellent, whether included or pay extra. The only completely disappointing one for us was the pay extra fishing tour where George caught nothing. I think people who did the pay extra whale watching tours were disappointed in those as they did not see any whales. We saw whales other times, just now on those tours.

Looking forward to being on the new ship in September.

Wow - definitely a fiasco! Vancouver airport needs to upgrade their system so they can scan passports and allow you in the "fast" line. We have a "Nexus Pass" which allows us to drive up and use a special lane to get into and out of Canada quickly. This is the card that they are looking for (it includes Global Entry). It is extremely helpful at YVR. When we arrive we bypass all the lines and go to "iris scan" machine which takes 2-3 minutes. We do have to wait in the "Nexus" line when arriving for our flights but they should be able to accommodate Global Entry as well).

We hit a ton of traffic leaving Vancouver after seeing Kathy and Al (great visit at the Pan Pacific). It took 2 hours to get to the hotel (across the street from where the ship is docked) and 3 hours to get home (distance from our house is 56 miles). We'll be visiting other friends in two weeks (and will board the Mariner for lunch) so I had better study a street map and figure out a better route!

Happy to hear that your trip was fun and that the weather cooperated. IMO, May is a perfect month to visit Alaska.

Thoughts on the trip:

The weather was perfect. We were probably just lucky, but I think this is an ideal time of year to travel in Alaska. The only downside is that Tracy Arm will likely be still inaccessible this early. And it is a bit early to really get good bear sightings or great salmon fishing (though the fishing in Seward was outstanding).

Kids on board were all well behaved. The toddler was a doll, probably due to her very attentive parents.

There was a large group from Puerto Rico aboard, apparently some sort of affinity group, who were quite noisy. They ruined the atmosphere in any venue where they gathered. Lots of drinking to excess, with accompanying loud talking and laughing, so much so that anyone else in the room couldn't carry on a conversation. I witnessed them being asked to quiet down a couple of times by ship staff, but they just ignored the instruction.

Food was as good as ever, with just a couple of less than super dishes.

The regular suites could use a refresh, but the public areas are beautiful and well maintained.

Staff seemed very happy and helpful with just a few exceptions. Entertainment could use a couple of new shows though as I have seen all the current ones several times.

Computer speed was best I have had at sea, so I think the upgrade really did work. Only one day where it was glitchy.

Most excursions were excellent, whether included or pay extra. The only completely disappointing one for us was the pay extra fishing tour where George caught nothing. I think people who did the pay extra whale watching tours were disappointed in those as they did not see any whales. We saw whales other times, just now on those tours.

Looking forward to being on the new ship in September.

Rachel, it was lovely meeting you and the Cruise Critic crew onboard-- thank you for your kind words about our daughter. :) I plan to write my own short summary of our impressions of Regent later but wanted to finish reading your blog here to see if Elizabeth passed muster with her onboard behavior. I think having a 4:1 adult to toddler ratio was really the key, but the individual crew members also went out of their way to entertain her. Having finished the cruise, my husband and I agreed that we would have been much less happy if we hadn't had his parents with us as it really was more pleasant to trade off dining while she was asleep (both at dinner and lunch, which conflicted with naptime), especially with Regent not starting dinner service until 6:30p.

We didn't notice the Puerto Rico group as much, probably a combination of being used to toddler chaos noise and being in the cabin for the night before they really got going.

I was always happy with my dinner and breakfast, but felt that if you didn't like their burger options, the lunch options were somewhat limited with basically the same food being served in the buffet and the dining room. I will take responsibility for the fact that I'm pregnant and dealing with food aversions (including all pork and most fish and anything with a lot of spice) so I'm almost certain I wouldn't have noticed lunch if I wasn't playing with a limited deck. Luckily, I was generally able to find one or two sandwiches I liked at tea.

We are in our 30s and fairly tech savvy but I could not get my iphone to connect to the ship's internet (I think safari and the connect@sea system were hostile, I would recommend other people to download chrome app before sailing) and we found the internet to be slow in our room even when using DH's laptop.

Regarding trivia: we faced the same crisis of confidence when they had Sweden as the correct answer to two questions and I also thought that perhaps smorgasbord had been borrowed from a different scandinavian language but were lucky that we did not have a team consensus on changing it, because other members wanted to change Malmo instead. ;) Our 18 month old actually made the difference for us one day because I wanted to guess a certain kind of rhino had 3 horns and my husband said one and our daughter said: "one, two!" with great enthusiasm so we went with two and it was correct!

:( To be 100% honest - I am now happy that we cancelled this cruise. One reason we booked a May itinerary in the past is because there were no children on board (and this was our experience on both the Mariner and Navigator in the past). Between children and the noisy group on board, we would have been very disappointed. Not sure why parents don't "get" that some luxury cruisers avoid the summer months because they hope there will be no children on board. I can't understand why parents can't wait until June. Okay - I know that this is a VERY selfish desire but it is what it is. We respect the fact that children will be on board during the summer, Christmas and Spring Break. Just wish that the respect went both ways!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, we would have loved to sail with the many people that we knew on board. Between the children, over the top boarding and disembarkation issues, we will likely not book a Regent cruise to Alaska in the future.

Glad you all had a great cruise, it sounded fantastic. I'm hoping Poss and her husband enjoyed it too--maybe we'll hear from her when she gets home.

I'm pretty sure Poss and her husband had a great time! Before I connected the dots and figured out she was Poss I already really liked her - she is so friendly and kind...great personality and a real cutie. They were hiking and walking all over the place!

JennAngel9: Your daughter was adorable! We sat next to you at trivia on your first day when your husband lifted her up for every Woo Hoo! I would be happy to sail with your family anytime and anywhere! Elizabeth made me smile every time I saw her.

Jackie: Loved our lunch at the Pan Pacific - we sure had a lot to catch up on - it's been way too many years since we've seen you.

Rachel: can't thank you enough for the heads up about the Global Entry card. I always carry ours along with our passports, but never really knew what they were for. I showed them to the lady guarding the Global Entry Line and we flew through the whole process in about 5 minutes. As you know, but others may not, they don't scan your passports and check fingerprints until you have been through security. Actually they were very organized and efficient. Did you get your salmon? Beautifully filleted and vacuum packed....can't wait to try it!

Anna B , the salmon arrived today, perfectly frozen.

jenn, your daughter was a doll. And congrats that you are expecting again. And I know what that does to eating and appetite as I was pretty much sick the entire 9 months with both my boys. We went on a wine tour in Napa when I was 6 weeks pregnant with the 2nd, talk about poor timing. So I got to be the designated driver.

Thank you, Rachel, and everyone else, for taking the time to post this blog! It is *a lot of work* to write a live blog, I know. I appreciate your posting the good, the not so good, and what could be better, but with ongoing appreciation of what you enjoyed on such a lovely itinerary.

I have continued to monitor Regent boards since our one and only very good but not stellar trip (I rated 4/5 by CC standard) on Regent in the Med in mid-2012 (where there were dining service problems, I had a very bad interaction with the ship's doctor, there were vibration issues in the veranda dining area that made us flee, as well as generally poor, to me anyway coffee), hoping to read something that would lure me back. I liked most of Regent's food then, the comfortable bed and cushy furniture, and even the shows (they were new to me), and DH loved the friendly and interesting dinner companions we met. We did not like most of the overcrowded cattle-call "included excursions" then, though apparently that is the trend on many luxury lines now.

I am still hoping to do a Regent trip (might try a short one to Alaska next year to test it out again), just continue to have to compare with other luxury lines.

Anna: Thank you for your kind words about our family. I've been so rundown and exhausted the past few weeks but I'm also charmed by how close it's brought Elizabeth and her dad (who was always extremely doting). My in laws live in Ohio between Cincinnati and Columbus so perhaps we'll run into you again one day. :)

Rachel: I reported your original praise back to my husband and he was glowing. We're thinking of printing out the CC snippets and adding them to our travel book. :) We just learned we are having a boy and this pregnancy has been much rougher than the first-- I'm just glad I didn't spend the entire trip hurling, even if I did spend much of it as an exhausted zombie! I hope at some point your husband takes you on a make-up trip to Napa, it is quite lovely and CA wine is incredible.

Jenn, boy pregnancies are much tougher than girl ones as far as nausea. Your husband clearly is an excellent father, so cute with your daughter. I am hoping for a grandchild one day as I can see my oldest son in that role, and the younger one as goofy uncle.

Thank you Rachel; enjoyed your blog! We had a great time and found the food and service to be fantastic. Regarding the discussion of providing your suite number at CR, a small ticket is printed with your assigned table number, suite number and your name. I think for those who are first time cruisers will appreciate being called by name. Also, I agree that they are becoming, a little more Disney smart, reviewing who's eating when and where. Didn't insult us at all. Disembarkation was awful -- we too have Global Entry and were never asked to show our cards in previous trips. Luckily I did have copies of the cards which they accepted thankfully -- we were through in short order but understand that many stood in lines for 40 to 50 minutes. The children were very well behaved and absolutely no issue. The Puerto Ricans contingent attempted to take over wherever and whenever they pleased. Not sure who didn't or couldn't see the whales but we saw them everywhere -- from the Observation Lounge, from our balcony, on excursions and right from the shore! Bon Voyage, happy future sailings to all!

According to the crew on this cruise, this is a new rule. There were lots of other people besides me who had been there before and been closer who were disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rachel,

Someone just posted a review of their cruise to Alaska on the Oceania board during the same time frame as your cruise.

"We were at the Glacier from 12 – 2 pm.

The Captain turns the port-side of the ship towards the glacier for 30 mins & then the starboard side for 30 mins.

We were so close & there was so much calving...it was breath-taking".

As I stated in a previous post:We got up very close to the Hubbard Glacier on the Regatta (Oceania) in 2014 and spent a few hours at the Glacier. Don't think that the rules have changed. We have never gotten close to the Hubbard Glacier on either of our two Regent cruises to Alaska.

Either the crew on the Mariner were misinformed or not telling the truth.