Live from Mariner May 18-June 1. Vancouver to Vancouver (with Alaska in between)

RachelG

This is the second post I have seen about the awful immigration. In your opinion is it better to be there early, or later?

Not sure, but my gut feeling is later, well after the transfer buses from the hotel have arrived. We got there a little after noon which is our usual practice. There was a huge line already, and the transfer buses arrived just after us making the line even huger. I would really not want to be one of those people.

I think even if you had the ship transfer included, it would be smarter to take a taxi either very early or very late.

May 29, 2016--Prince Rupert, Canada

We had to set the clock forward an hour last night, so fortunately had an at sea morning. Very calm seas but totally overcast sky which looks like rain. Temps are quite cool, around 50F for the high. George says he has never seen the sun in Prince Rupert, and this is his 5th time here.

Margaret led a church service this am which was very nice. Lunch was lots of different burgers. It was too cool to sit out on the pool deck, so we got ours and ate in La veranda. They had a beef (2 different varieties), turkey, salmon, tuna and veggie burgers. The salmon was quite good, and the others looked delicious as well. One of the things I learned yesterday on the galley tour was that all bread and pastry except for 4 types is baked on board. English muffins, bagels, hot dog buns and hamburger buns are brought on the ship in Vancouver.

Prince Rupert is a Canadian coastal town not dependent on tourism, but very welcoming to tourists. We were met by a bag piper, then later the local band. We went on a hiking tour through lush temperate rain forest. Easy trail and beautiful surroundings. We had been here with the boys 24 years ago, and they have definitely improved the trail. I was up to my knees in bog the last time, but no difficulties today.

Back on ship, I missed the first half of trivia, but we came in third. Dinner in CR was outstanding with some of my favorite dishes, mulligatawny soup and biryani.

Margaret absolutely nailed her country and western show, then we had karaoke in Stars with Jerry being the star.

Rachel, your posts are wonderful. Thank you!! You mentioned the galley tour. Would love to do that when we are on the Mariner in a few weeks. How was that arranged?

I have no idea how the galley tour was arranged. George and I received an invitation on our door. But I don't know the criteria for getting invited. If chef Glenn is still onboard, which I think he will be, go to one of his cooking classes then ask him afterward. He is very approachable.

In the past we have been invited to the galley tour when we have paid with AMEX platinum. We switched to Chase Sapphire Preferred due to the included travel insurance, so no more galley invitations. However, once you've gone once, it's pretty much a repeat.

In the past we have been invited to the galley tour when we have paid with AMEX platinum. We switched to Chase Sapphire Preferred due to the included travel insurance, so no more galley invitations. However, once you've gone once, it's pretty much a repeat.

Don't forget, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, you also get double points in addition to the free travel insurance. AMEX PLatinum doesn't include cash back for their points and if you use points to pay bills, essentially cash, only about $0.0067 per Amex Point compared to Sapphire Preferred at a full $0.01 per point.

Even with the $300 OBC with Amex, in total Sapphire Preferred much better bang for the buck.

Do you get the $300 OBC from American Express Platinum, on AZ?

It was available however, we used the Sapphire Preferred as with the doubling of points we actually got $100 more than the $300 OBC which we can spend wherever we choose and not limited to OBC plus we squeaked under the $10K pp Sapphire Travel Insurance thus that was free and saved us over $1K had we purchased separate insurance.

Win win as originally was going to use the AMEX but, over $1K savings makes Sapphire Preferred a no brainer!! Will preform the same calculation on all subsequent cruises and so far, Sapphire has been the winner every time since they added the $10K PP Travel Insurance.

On another cruise we recently booked our cost is significantly over the $10K pp but, still saved as we have purchased a policy for the amount over $10K so still saving over $1K plus the double points again give us over 3 times the $300 OBC from Amex plus the over $1K insurance savings. Only glitch I can find in the Sapphire Insurance is that it doesn't include medical coverage but, both DW and I are covered overseas plus the other policy also includes medical even with not covering the entire trip. Also no pre-existing coverage with Sapphire but, we are willing to take the risk.

Quite a bit of savings for a $95 per year card.

May 30, 2016--at sea

A lazy sea day today. Skies are hazy, and air temp is probably in the low 60s making it very pleasant but slightly cool out on the enclosed decks. However, I tried to walk outside on the track along with a few other intrepid souls, and it was nigh unto impossible. We are apparently sailing directly into the wind, so it really beats you up trying to walk. One direction, it is like being on a treadmill, and the other, you are propelled along at high speed. I gave up on that after about 10 minutes and decided to walk inside.

Had a wonderful facial, and said no thank you to all the products she tried to sell me. The gift shop was doing a very brisk business this am. There were also lectures, some indoor games, and a cooking demo.

Lunch was a special salmon bake out on the pool deck. They had brought aboard all different types of salmon, and it was prepared in a variety of ways. However, I had my sights set on something else. Chef Glenn had told me that they had brought on fresh mussels in Prince Rupert and would be serving them at the salmon bake. They were so good-perfectly prepared with crispy bread sticks alongside to soak up the broth, just like I like them.

The sun came out for a while in the afternoon, so I spent sometime doing work on my computer while sitting in the observation lounge. Too cool to just sit outside for me. All at once, I heard another passenger exclaim "Dolphins!" There was a huge pod of them, I would say over 50 just in front of the ship. Beautiful sighting! The most I have ever seen at one time. They swam alongside us for quite a long time.

Today was chocoholic tea, so well attended. We came in second in trivia--a tragic loss due to changing an answer at the last minute. We just couldn't believe they would have two questions with the same answer. I was certain the port of Malmö was in Sweden (correct), but we had previously put Sweden as where smorgasbord originated. Since I was absolutely certain about Malmö, we changed the answer on the smorgasbord question to Norway. So we did not win.

George and I had a wonderful dinner with Daniela, the F and B director. We have known her for several year, watching her advance her career from sommelier to head sommelier and now to F and B director. She is an amazing young woman, and we are very proud of her. We had a wonderful degustation menu prepared especially for us. I swear she has been spying to learn all my favorite foods, because they were all featured. First the spring rolls which I adore, then the beet salad from Prime 7. Next fresh mussels from Prince Rupert, followed by the lobster salad from Signatures. Our main was white salmon brought on board in Sitka with black risotto. And dessert--the amazing dark chocolate soufflé . If I were on death row, this is the meal I would request as my last. It was just amazing, coupled with wines she had selected. I can't say enough about how delicious it was.

And of course, even better was the company. We enjoyed getting to visit one on one with Daniela and getting to know her even better. She really is a lovely person, and one Regent should be proud to have in their employee.

The show was a repeat of the Broadway show from last week, but I really think they did even better. Lots of energy and just fun.

Rachel- I have loved waking up to your blog. Your observations make me want to revisit Alaska and have also helped my Regent withdrawal symptoms during the last week!

I hope that we cross paths in the future as we sail the seven seas!

Jennifer

Your meal with Daniela sounds amazing. We were on the Mariner with her in March during her very first cruise as F&B manager. Unfortunately (for us) she was too occupied with the new and numerous challenges facing her to have time to visit. It was wonderful to see her in her new role. We will do Alaska in late August but my guess is Daniela will be on a much needed vacation by then.

Hats off to Regent for recognizing and promoting female talent.

Also thanks for the wonderful day to day sharing of your cruise.

Ann

Quickie question for anyone....... someone posted on the Oceania board that they were asked for their suite number each time they dined in CR. I do not recall that ever happening on Regent (except when making reservations at P7 or Signatures). Just curious if this is something new.

Thanks much!

Quickie question for anyone....... someone posted on the Oceania board that they were asked for their suite number each time they dined in CR. I do not recall that ever happening on Regent (except when making reservations at P7 or Signatures). Just curious if this is something new.

Thanks much!

Yes, they asked for a cabin number when dining in CP.

it's been a wonderful 14 days!!!

K

Yes, they asked for a cabin number when dining in CP.

it's been a wonderful 14 days!!!

K

Thanks for the response and it is great to hear that you had a wonderful cruise. In terms of asking for a cabin/suite number, this is something new -- I am wondering why they would want or need that information.