Brittania Fjords 23rd july chage

cdsails

Could you not transfer your booking to another cruise.. Is there nothing suitable going at a similar time. You would still be in the period where this is possible.

Your family would still be having a holiday this year then.

Many thanks for providing the T's and C's - much appreciated. We did explore this but, sadly, one or more of us had commitments that we could not change for the other possible cruises, so we have had to stick with this particular cruise, even though it's no longer a fjords cruise.

Having failed in my request to obtain a 25% refund, in my second letter I requested a £500 on board credit to soften the blow a bit. P&O's response? Rejected out of hand.

P&O seem to take the view that all you want to do is be on a particular ship on specific dates. There seems to be no consideration of the fact that the itinerary may have been the determining factor.

The excuses for the itinerary change defy all logic and simply cannot be believed. Their contempt for passengers feeling ripped off by this knows no bounds.

I hope that experiences such as these help inform potential new P&O customers considering their first cruise that, unlike a land based holiday, you might end up with a holiday that bears no resemblance to what you think you have booked and you will have an almighty battle on your hands if you feel aggrieved about the fact!

Edited by Selbourne

Many thanks for providing the T's and C's - much appreciated. We did explore this but, sadly, one or more of us had commitments that we could not change for the other possible cruises, so we have had to stick with this particular cruise, even though it's no longer a fjords cruise.

Having failed in my request to obtain a 25% refund, in my second letter I requested a £500 on board credit to soften the blow a bit. P&O's response? Rejected out of hand.

P&O seem to take the view that all you want to do is be on a particular ship on specific dates. There seems to be no consideration of the fact that the itinerary may have been the determining factor.

The excuses for the itinerary change defy all logic and simply cannot be believed. Their contempt for passengers feeling ripped off by this knows no bounds.

I hope that experiences such as these help inform potential new P&O customers considering their first cruise that, unlike a land based holiday, you might end up with a holiday that bears no resemblance to what you think you have booked and you will have an almighty battle on your hands if you feel aggrieved about the fact!

Oh Selbourne I am so sorry you could not transfer to another cruise.

Looking back at all our cruises I worked out that for one reason or another nearlly every single one had some change of port, including a much looked forward to cruise to the holy land just before a Christmas.

From what others have posted in the past they only seem to give comp. If it was something entirely within their control..ie ship breaking down..otherwise no they don't seem to pay out.

We are on this cruise and are absolutely furious about this itinerary change. This is no longer a Norwegian Fjords cruise, but a Norwegian Coastal cruise. Two ports at the end of very long fjords have been dropped and replaced by one North Sea port and another within a minor (short) fjord. We have complained to P&O who aren't interested. We like Britannia but will not book her again as we can't help but feel that she has been 'bumped' due to her size. One port change is bad enough. Two (within a one week cruise) is unacceptable, especially when it is sold as a Fjords cruise and now isn't. Can't overstate how upset we are about this and seriously considering moving away from P&O after 22 years loyal custom. We booked this as a scenic cruise with prolonged cruising time down spectacular fjords, not coastal port hopping. Can't re book to another cruise due to work commitments etc so feel completely ripped off and desperately let down by P&O.

We are as annoyed as you for our cruise the following week as Gib dropped from our itinerary. I have emailed P&O at my anger, completely disinterested, just keep quoting t&cs allow them to do this. I wont let it spoil my holiday but will book RCI next time and take my not inconsiderably school holiday spend to another company. Unless we vote with our feet nothing will change.

We are as annoyed as you for our cruise the following week as Gib dropped from our itinerary. I have emailed P&O at my anger, completely disinterested, just keep quoting t&cs allow them to do this. I wont let it spoil my holiday but will book RCI next time and take my not inconsiderably school holiday spend to another company. Unless we vote with our feet nothing will change.

Unfortunately it is not only P &O who change itineraries...I have read of changes to RCI, Cunard, Celebrity and Princess in the last few weeks.

I believe one of the issues now is that there are so many more cruise ships, and they are bigger than ever. So that not only is berthing a problem at some ports but also the number of passengers potentially flooding into a small port could cause logistical problems. Whilst it may be good for the tourist industry in general, they may not even be able to fulfill cruise companies request for coaches for excursions in some of these small places.

Hope you can enjoy your cruise anyway...

Unfortunately it is not only P &O who change itineraries...I have read of changes to RCI, Cunard, Celebrity and Princess in the last few weeks.

I believe one of the issues now is that there are so many more cruise ships, and they are bigger than ever. So that not only is berthing a problem at some ports but also the number of passengers potentially flooding into a small port could cause logistical problems. Whilst it may be good for the tourist industry in general, they may not even be able to fulfill cruise companies request for coaches for excursions in some of these small places.

Hope you can enjoy your cruise anyway...

Your statement is probably true, but since 90% of the cruise industry is vested in 3 companies, Carnival, RCI & NCL, then the competition for berths is quite often between sister cruise lines. So the re-scheduling is then done by head office, what we need to know is how they do this and why does P&O seem to be at the back of the queue, especially when it's prices are generally well above what the Americans pay.

Your statement is probably true, but since 90% of the cruise industry is vested in 3 companies, Carnival, RCI & NCL, then the competition for berths is quite often between sister cruise lines. So the re-scheduling is then done by head office, what we need to know is how they do this and why does P&O seem to be at the back of the queue, especially when it's prices are generally well above what the Americans pay.

I refer back to my post, 20. Regular ships v one off ships. Regular ships will always get the best berth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I refer back to my post, 20. Regular ships v one off ships. Regular ships will always get the best berth.

Seem logical Dai, but P&O have a ship in Dominica every week in the season yet nearly always get the cargo berth out of town.

Seem logical Dai, but P&O have a ship in Dominica every week in the season yet nearly always get the cargo berth out of town.

We have always had the town pier, just luck I suppose.

Dai, when it comes to fjord cruises, with the number of ships P&O have, their calling frequency is probably as high as other lines that only have one or even two dedicated ships doing the fjords. So in this case I don't think your explanation holds water.

Is there a difference in cost depending on the position of the berth? I suspect so, and then there could be an issue of who is prepared to pay more. Surely in booking a berth a contract is entered into - how come a particular ship can be 'bumped' unless there is a failure to commit at the outset?

This is a tricky situation because the T&C are always...or so it seems...in the tour/cruise operator's favour and so then we are at the mercy of the companies BUT they have broken their contract with you. If it is advertised and sold as a Fjords Cruise and not a Norway coastal cruise that is what they should be providing and that is the way I would approach them. They may initially "stonewall" you but you must persevere with it. You need to write to them outlining that they have broken the contact and give the reason why...state that you expect a reply with 28 days. If no response or joy you write again stating that you do not except their response....unless it has been favourable to you...and tell them if they do not accept their liability you will take it further and contact Trading Standards to obtain details of who to contact.

It is all well and good for these companies to come up with "flimsy" excuses...its not like it is a last minute "incident" that has caused them to change itineraries....as stated in an earlier thread the cruise companies know well in advance how many ships and passenger capacity a port can deal with.

I had a similar experience a few years ago with a tour company. At the point of booking I made it clear that I would not accept a night flight so I was assured that I could have a day flight ...outward & return...guess what after a couple of months they changed it to a night flight and cited their T&Cs.. I then cited my T&Cs at the time of booking...to cut a long story short they eventually returned my deposit...took 8 months so you need to be determined.

They are not fulfilling their contract and providing you with what you booked....the contract works both ways.

Edited by janny444

Dai, when it comes to fjord cruises, with the number of ships P&O have, their calling frequency is probably as high as other lines that only have one or even two dedicated ships doing the fjords. So in this case I don't think your explanation holds water.

Sorry that is not true. On the 27th of July the date mentioned in this thread in Flam there are two ships and MSC ship and the Horizon. The latter calls every week and on 5 of her call days the same MSC ship is in. Flam cannot take more than 2 ships and preference is always going to go to the regular customers. There are no regular P&O sailings to the fjords so they do not build up a presence.

So I still contend that this is one reason why it appears that P&O miss out ports.

This is not going to get any better.

mv Horizon cruise ship belonging to Pullmantur cruises this year is doing 18 cruises which are all the same from Calais to the fjords including Flam. So it will be there 18 times on the same day of the week. It also includes Geiranger as one of its ports every week.

So perhaps it you want those ports one should try the Horizon.

Edited by daiB

Aurora also replaced Geiranger with Olden last week. Serenade and Norwegian Star made it the same day.

However, a port only confirms a call if space is available. It is first come, first serve and normally done two-three years in advance.

P&O must have other reasons to cancel calls in Geiranger and Flaam so often and last minute. These ports are indeed more expensive especially for large ships and others like Andalsnes trie to attract more ships with lower berthing costs. Inassume these changes done because of cost savings on P&O side. E.g. if cruises are not selling well or rates have to be reduced significantly to fill the ship. Cunard has done it from time to time as well, other lines only in real emergencies.

Well it's certainly making me think twice about booking a Fjords cruise with P&O which I had been seriously considering. We've been to the Fjords six times and never missed Geiranger or Flam or indeed any other Norwegian port - but then again, none of them were on P&O! In my mind, these two ports are the jewels in the crown and to miss one, or worse still two, would completely change the nature of the cruise. I would be furious too. I wish you all well in your justifiable complaint.

Have you thought about contacting trading standards and citizens advice? They would be able to tell you if there is a further course of action such as contacting the regulator. I think P&O will reject claims wherever possible to avoid an avalanche of claims every time they change an itinerary. I think we all agree that in your case this is a complete change - but if they compensate you they still have a ship full of passengers entitled to make a similar claim. So I think there are two choices 1) do nothing 2) keep going. It's possible that if you continue to push and don't just go away they may make a 'goodwill gesture'. On the written response from P&O was there a disclosure statement (it tells you what to do if you want to escalate your complaint) if not I'd be inclined to write back and say you aren't happy with their decision and ask what the options are for escalating your complaint. I do appreciate you get worn down with fighting (I'm in a situation with Parker Knoll) but for the sake of a stamp or e-mail I'd be inclined to keep the pressure up - depending on what trading standards and CAB say.

Edited by Florry

So VERY pleased I have found this thread!

We booked this as it sails on my 30th Birthday (when it happens if Im out of the country it doesnt count).

We booked many many months ago, as the date fitted and I have always wanted to see the Fjords. We booked an aft larger balcony for my family - with my parents then deciding to join us in a balcony cabin too.

Then we had the email, which very bluntly, said there was a change of itinerary - their was not even a 'we are sorry to announce a change' - it was just blunt and there.

So unhappy, especially as I was desperate to visit Flaam I tweeted P&O - who immediately replied on Private Message as to remove the conversation from public view.

I was told it was out of their control. I said I was very unhappy and could we possibly move to a different cruise at a different time? I was informed I could if I paid a fee of £100 per person!

I argued and said I only wanted to move cruise due to them not fulfilling the holiday I had booked, they responded it was not what they classed as a 'significant' change to the cruise so under their T&C would not be entitled to any changes, reimbursement or good will gestures.

I told them I found 50% of the stops to be significant, at which time they unfollowed me and never responded again. Good service :roll eyes:

So we're going, it isn't a fjord cruise is it? But Im sure it'll be pretty and were mainly there for some family celebrating. Im just disappointed after waiting for so long we aren't getting the cruise we booked.

A wonder if P&O are now booking ports much later and this is leading to more port cancellations?

We are due to sail to Amsterdam on 30th and 31st May 2017 on Aurora. However, when I looked at the Amsterdam cruise terminal calendar it was not listed ( though other ships are for this month). I contacted the cruise port terminal admin and they said this was because they had not received a booking for this ship. I then contacted P&O to ask them about how this and they said that Aurora was still due to call at Amsterdam ( not IJmuiden ) but provided no more details. I guess P&O might "save" money by booking ports later than other companies if this is what they are doing.

The thing which bugs me most about the T&C is changes 'for commercial reasons'. We can all understand when changes must be made for technical, political, weather or H&S issues - but changes for commercial reasons to me just gives them carte blanche to change because...............the port down the coast is cheaper, the coaches cost more to hire here, bunkering costs more etc., etc. In other words - we can save money by changing.

I'm sure there are legitimate and reasonable reasons to change but to sell cruises and advertise them on the basis of the destinations and then have significant change (and this is significant) is using those T&Cs unfairly against their customers imo.

P&O should be wary of gaining a reputation for selling cruises which might not go to where passengers believe they have booked.

Edited by kruzseeka