Brand of Champagne in suites on Dawn

KayM8812

Good morning! We were in the Owner's Suite (upsell!!!) on the Dawn recently and really enjoyed the champagne they put in our room on embarkation day. However, I failed to get the name of it. Can anyone help me with the brand information on this champagne? I really appreciate your help.

We are Champagnelovers but we don't think that the sparkling wine the cheaper suites get is undrinkable. It's far from real Champagne but if the expectations aren't too high, it's drinkable.

Our favorite brand is Gosset. The "cheap" Gosset Grand Rosé is a really good option when it's available. We have been drinking it on the Dawn but I don't know if NCL still has it.

I think that the GV, DOS, and OS get champagne and the other suites get sparkling wine.

Excatly this. People need to understand that while all champagne is sparkling wine, all sparkling wine is definitely not champagne.

I guess I have bad taste because I like the sparkling wine better as it is less dry and sweeter.

That has nothing to do with the area where the wine is made (that is the only difference between champagne and other sparkling wines) – there are dry and sweet (and everything in between) varieties in all sparkling wines.

Excatly this. People need to understand that while all champagne is sparkling wine, all sparkling wine is definitely not champagne.

That has nothing to do with the area where the wine is made (that is the only difference between champagne and other sparkling wines) – there are dry and sweet (and everything in between) varieties in all sparkling wines.

Lots of people don't understand the difference. Is that an american thing?

The area where the wine is made is defenitely NOT the only difference between Champagne and other sparkling wines. The area is important and a must but it's also how the wine is made and from which grapes.

There are both dry and sweet Champagnes but most Champagnes are dry and most of the times the experts, I'm not an expert only interestad, prefer the dry ones.

The area where the wine is made is defenitely NOT the only difference between Champagne and other sparkling wines. The area is important and a must but it's also how the wine is made and from which grapes.

Yes it is - any sparkling wine can be made with the exact same specifications as champagne, but only sparkling wines made of grapes grown in the Champagne appellation can officially be called champagne. While most champagnes are made of few specific grape varieties, making champagne is not really limited to any specific varieties, as long as other restrictions are met.

All this and more can be found in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne

That has nothing to do with the area where the wine is made (that is the only difference between champagne and other sparkling wines)

Yes, other sparkling wines can be made with the same method and same grapes as Champagne but most are not and then the area is not the only difference.

Sparkling wine made in Champagne is only Champagne if it's made the correct way and with the correct grapes, so it's not only about the area.

A lot of people don't understand the difference between answering a question and hijacking a thread. LOL[emoji6]

Since it's clear that some people in this thread are mixing up champagne and sparkling wine, discussion about the difference is not hijacking a thread (or as defined by the moderators: "by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand").

I think that the GV, DOS, and OS get champagne and the other suites get sparkling wine. I guess I have bad taste because I like the sparkling wine better as it is less dry and sweeter.

We were in a penthouse; I do know the difference between champagne and sparkling wine, and we had the latter, and that could be because of the type of suite we were in. And the bottle, as I said above, was undrinkable. BUT there are some really excellent sparkling wines out there, just as there are some not very good champagnes.

I would have been far happier with a $17 bottle of Domaine Chandon than whatever swill was left in our cabin.

The sweetness has nothing to do with whether the bottle is champagne or sparkling wine.

Yes there is a difference between champagne and sparking wine. There is also a difference between a good sparkling wine and a cheap sparking wine. The sparkling wine given to suites is probably 8.99 at the most. As others pointed out, the OS, DOS and GV get the real deal champagne which entry level (Moet) is about $40 per bottle.

I can drink a glass or two of the cheap sparkling wine but the free merlot NCL gave us as a gift, I could not drink. I can usually drink anything but this had its limits.

Edited by david_sobe

Yes there is a difference between champagne and sparking wine. There is also a difference between a good sparkling wine and a cheap sparking wine. The sparkling wine given to suites is probably 8.99 at the most. As others pointed out, the OS, DOS and GV get the real deal champagne which entry level (Moet) is about $40 per bottle.

I can drink a glass or two of the cheap sparkling wine but the free merlot NCL gave us as a gift, I could not drink. I can usually drink anything but this had its limits.

The entry level for a big brand of Champagne, for example Moet, is about $40 but there are some real Champagnes for around $25. I never buy the cheapest Champagnes because I don't think that they are worth the money compared to a sparkling wine for around $20.

I normally pay around $40-60 for a bottle of Champagne but for a special occation I don't mind to pay $150 and I really think that the difference is worth it!

The sparkling wine they give to the suites is probably 5.99 at the most!

We received Duc de Paris Brut Vin Mousseux in our DOS on the Star last year.

I photographed everything.

I hope they didn't gave you that instead of Champagne! I did a quick search, since I haven't heared of it, and that cost around $3-4!!!

That is not what they shall give you as your "suitechampagne" in a DOS!

Are you platinum? Can it be the sparkling wine for that?

I hope they didn't gave you that instead of Champagne! I did a quick search, since I haven't heared of it, and that cost around $3-4!!!

See my post #16 and to add, I looked at the pics from the BA in a DOS and the two bottles we got were the Duo De Paris (maybe it is Duc - I was looking early this morning so maybe I didn't get it right) and the other was a sparkling wine (for being Platinum). I recall at the time I had never heard of that brand so whether that is actually champagne or not, I couldn't tell you as I don't drink wine/sparking wine/champagne but I do understand that real Champagne has to come from that region in France. My grandmother used to like to drink Champale - what region does that come from - maybe Flint, MI?

Edited by dexddd

We've been in suites on the Dawn, I googled the wine we got and it was worth $4.00, I dumped it down the sink, rot gut
I usually get two bottles and when I see the first folks in the hallways, I offer up a bottle or two and usually someone will take it and I guess enjoy it. I was guessing $4 to $7 dollars for the sparkling wine. I thought about exchanging it for a bottle of red wine, but figured I probably wouldn't drink that either...I'm a wine snob. Next cruise I might just ask if I can trade them for a couple cans/bottles of soda. Edited by NLH Arizona

It was our first cruise, so definitely not platinum. That's what was waiting for us instead of champagne, yes.