Brand of Champagne in suites on Dawn

KayM8812

See my post #16 and to add, I looked at the pics from the BA in a DOS and the two bottles we got were the Duo De Paris (maybe it is Duc - I was looking early this morning so maybe I didn't get it right) and the other was a sparkling wine (for being Platinum). I recall at the time I had never heard of that brand so whether that is actually champagne or not, I couldn't tell you as I don't drink wine/sparking wine/champagne but I do understand that real Champagne has to come from that region in France. My grandmother used to like to drink Champale - what region does that come from - maybe Flint, MI?

You should have recieved real Champagne in a DOS.

We got a Schramsberg Brut Rose and a Duc De Paris (the "c" is in script and it looks almost like an "o" so that is why I got it wrong earlier). The Duc says on the bottom:

....France par compagnie francaise des grands vins.... whatever that means.

The Duc says on the bottom:

....France par compagnie francaise des grands vins.... whatever that means.

Compagnie Francaise des Grands Vins is the name of the manufacturer and that bottle is "just" sparkling wine, not champagne - it also says so in the bottle (it would state "champagne" instead of "white sparkling wine" if it was real champagne).

So it would appear we didn't get Champagne at all as it appears the Schramsberg is from Northern California from what I can tell and if the Duc is sparkling wine? Like I said, we aren't wine/champagne folks so we know squat about it, more curious than anything. Looks like the Schramsberg runs in the $20-30 range though but do see the Duc is around $4.

The wines that you get for being platinum are not what I would call top of the line wines, so my solution has been to give them to the cabin stewards and tell them to use them at their next crew party. I don't know if they use them for that, but the bottles do disappear from the cabin in short order.

I always cruise in an aft-penthouse and have always gotten two bottle of sparkling wine.

Thanks for the info!

(Not sure of my concern, however, since it will apparently be twice as much swill. :p )

Dating myself here, but all the talk on this thread of bad wine reminds me of Rumpole of the Bailey and his Chateau Thames Embankment.:)

On BA we got Duo De Paris for champagne in a DOS whatever that brand is.

That is what we got as our platinum offering. It retails between $5 and $8 in the US. Some OJ makes it into a good mimosa though, which is what we always do. We had the UBP and my wife had glasses of champagne several times with that. I don't like champagne, regardless. However, she said that what ever they were serving with the UBP was noticeable good. Didn't need any OJ to be drinkable.

Thanks for the info!

(Not sure of my concern, however, since it will apparently be twice as much swill. :p )

Dating myself here, but all the talk on this thread of bad wine reminds me of Rumpole of the Bailey and his Chateau Thames Embankment.:)

If we are ever on the same cruise, I'll give you my two bottles and then you will have four bottles!!! LOL!

Don't remember what you are talking about, but when I first started drinking wine, I loved Lancer's Rose. Don't know if they still make it, but boy did I drink a lot of it when I was young. Thankfully I have better taste now.

If you are a Platinum member sailing in a suite (penthouse, not Haven), do you get two bottles of the sparkling wine on embarkation?

My in-laws don't care for anything sparkling but they've successfully exchanged their platinum and suite wines for reds.

• 3 weeks later...

On Celebrity, they let you take the champagne to dinner and give it to the sommelier and turn it in for a wine credit, and then pick a wine and pay the difference, if any.

Don't kn ow if NCL allows this?

I suspect they will allow you swap champagnes in your room for a comparable alternative and/or pay the difference?

On Celebrity, they let you take the champagne to dinner and give it to the sommelier and turn it in for a wine credit, and then pick a wine and pay the difference, if any.

I suspect they will allow you swap champagnes in your room for a comparable alternative and/or pay the difference?

People have definitely had success making this swap via their butler, without bringing the bottle anywhere, but it may depend on who you get.

This was my last Breakaway cruise where we sailed in hte Haven Spa Suite, but we had Moet.

Not a champaigne guy myself (Bourbon is my libation of choice), but it was fine for a toast or two.

Do you mean Moet & Chandon Champagne? If yes, interesting because the Haven Spa Suite is not supposed to get Champagne!

Do you mean Moet & Chandon Champagne? If yes, interesting because the Haven Spa Suite is not supposed to get Champagne!

We had Moet waiting in an iced bucket waiting in our suite. Didn't know about it until we got there. GF liked it. I didn't care one way or the other.

We had Moet waiting in an iced bucket waiting in our suite. Didn't know about it until we got there. GF liked it. I didn't care one way or the other.

Maybe it's a new thing that all suites gets Champagne? Interesting that they start with something that cost them more!

I always take my platinum champagne to a bar and trade it for a red wine. I've never had a hard time doing so until my last cruise on the Star where I received grief from the bartender. It seems it was a big deal and they did me a big favor....... At least the Chilean Malbec was drinkable!