EZAir United Free Baggage

marwood

I plan to use EZAir for my next trip flying United. I have the United Credit Card and my reservation is linked to my frequent flyer number. Would I get a free checked bag? Do I need to pay for the cruise+air with my United Credit Card? Is there a way to just pay for the air portion?

for my EZ Air with my United card

and will get my free bag because of it.

So- if the flight gives us one free bag AND my CC gets me a second,

I may check my carry on on our flight to Europe.

You do have to pay the airline tix with the United CC to get the free luggage.

On the way back the darn United flight is operated by someone else, so we do not get free bag there from the United CC....but our far was 400$ than a true United flight back,...

I booked and paid for the cruise with my Princess card (double points) and a few days later did the flights on my United card.

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet
add info

I plan to use EZAir for my next trip flying United. I have the United Credit Card and my reservation is linked to my frequent flyer number. Would I get a free checked bag? Do I need to pay for the cruise+air with my United Credit Card? Is there a way to just pay for the air portion?

The cruise and EZ Air are separate transactions. You can pay each one separately with whatever credit card you like.

Note the fine print for free luggage on the United Credit Card: "Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible." You should check with Princess/United to find out if EZ Air falls under this exclusion.

OK, I'm curious: isn't Princess buying the EZAir through a corporate billing account? In other words, you pay Princess, Princess pays United through a check from the Princess Accounts Payable department, and voila, you don't get your free bag.

Much depends on the language of the contract that Princess has with the airline. It is also hard to know anything about the restrictions that are on the tickets that Princess gets. Generally the cheaper the fare is, the more restrictions there are. Paying a middleman puts a twist on the benefits that come with a CC. Only United can give you accurate information about how these benefits will apply.

I recently used EZair for a United Flight. I do have the United credit card but got it after I paid Princess for flight.

When I checked in on line (and had my frequent flyer number on record),It must have recognized that I have United Credit card. No luggage fees for myself or spouse. This was a flight from San Diego to Houston.

Edited by san diego sue

Word of warning with regards to free bags and credit cards.... (NOTE: My experience is not with EZAIR, but it is related info.)

Be sure to read the terms and ask in advance as many of the cards give you "First Checked Bag Free." I was travelling internationally and they give you one free checked bag for that, and I wanted to use my Credit Card affiliated with American Airlines for another free bag but they told me that would not work since my "FIRST" bag was free already! They would not let me double dip... Luckily I check this out in advance and packed accordingly.

Do your research before flying since a mistake can be very costly given today's extra baggage charges!

Another tidbit of info is that many cards also give you first bag free for up to X members of your party flying with you... I think my card is good for me and 4 of my travel companions. Just FYI.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Edited by cruisehappy001

We are only bringing one bag, and an allowed carry on. If it is covered by my cc, we will check it. We did that for our domestic United flights last year when first class already gave us a free bag. What really stinks is our return flight this year is United flight operated by someone else- so no chance of checking our carry ons and that carry on will get weighed on the return flight. 10 kg weight limit. Ugh!.

Edited by BratDet

• 1 year later...
OK, I'm curious: isn't Princess buying the EZAir through a corporate billing account? In other words, you pay Princess, Princess pays United through a check from the Princess Accounts Payable department, and voila, you don't get your free bag.

Not true, with EZ air, your credit card payment goes directly to the airline, with their negotiated rate, so the first checked bag should be free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have our flights booked through EZAir. We have 2 domestic flights on United and then leave for Sydney on Qantas. Our tickets show our first 2 checked bags (up to 50lbs) are FREE.

The caveat is that carryon bags on Qantas have a 15lb limit, so looks like we will need to check our carryon.

We do not have a United credit card and are not high status in either airline program.

Qantas does have allowance for the first 2 checked bags on International flights to and from North America, so maybe that's how we got the 2 checked bag allowance. I was under the assumption that the originating flight airline's baggage policy ruled but maybe not.

Not true, with EZ air, your credit card payment goes directly to the airline, with their negotiated rate, so the first checked bag should be free.

Nope. Anytime I have made a payment that included EZAir, it was directly to Princess as shown on my credit card statement, never with any part of the payment showing as being to the airline.

Nope. Anytime I have made a payment that included EZAir, it was directly to Princess as shown on my credit card statement, never with any part of the payment showing as being to the airline.

I also thought the payment was made to Princess, but if you call United, they will say it was paid by a credit card and the last 4 numbers should match the credit card you used to pay Princess. But on your statement, it will say Princess.

Word of warning with regards to free bags and credit cards.... (NOTE: My experience is not with EZAIR, but it is related info.)

Be sure to read the terms and ask in advance as many of the cards give you "First Checked Bag Free." I was travelling internationally and they give you one free checked bag for that, and I wanted to use my Credit Card affiliated with American Airlines for another free bag but they told me that would not work since my "FIRST" bag was free already! They would not let me double dip... Luckily I check this out in advance and packed accordingly.

The same was true when I flew United on an international flight. First bag was free because it was an international flight. Could not get another bag free because I used my United credit card to book the flight.

The airlines keep on changing " rules".....most recently with main or basic economy US cheaper flights.......you will see when you print your boarding pass whether or not you will receive a free domestic bag....Delta you just have to be a card holder.... United & American in the past you had to purchase the flight with the card...I have flown with United on EZair most recently 2 years ago no, I did not get a free bag even though being a card holder, but changes always possible.

BTW 2nd international bag with United is 100 bucks flying from U.S. to or from Europe....it has been that way for at least 5 years, they were the first to start it.... many other lines have followed suit.....card holder or no.......again for economy seating.

In reference to double dipping...again something that has been this way almost since inception of the fees...on domestic if you have a feebee with your card your second bag is not 25 it is 35......

I have played this game of cards and baggage or airlines not charging for bag on a route and then changing policy, since the inception, not only with myself & DH but with my children since they decided to select majors and careers that have sent them all over the states and world and I help with booking flights...often a first/business class ticket was to our advantage when they were returning with to much luggage.

And now that main & economy has come into play ...continuous change.....in fact sister told me recently with American you now just have to be a card holder ...WHAT?????? still have not checked into that...it is impossible to keep up.....

But regarding EZ-air...our cards did not help us on our one domestic flight, in the past....

I hold very few airline cards now as we can easily do domestic economy with backpacks or a carry-on and most international first bag is enough for us.....and honestly how many miles do you get today....if you are not a status flyer...

Did EZair economy with Princess 3 times last year internationally....the miles? what miles?..they were so few I would barely be able to get a domestic ticket....may not maybe just a one way.....

Dump the dedicated airline/cruise cards after your first free year, go for a card the gives you cash rewards or miles to be used on any airline. Go with the least expensive airline....and pay for your luggage.....or like I sometimes do challenge yourself to see if you can get it all in a backpack or carry-on.

Edited by land lover

Glad I found this thread. I am flying to Europe and all the flights are "United". I will be paying for my cruise and EZAir with my United Credit Card. This is my first time using EZ Air. I was curious about luggage fees also.