Boarding arrival times

glennbtn

Presto2, it's a big issue for us too along with the restrictions on saver fares. Together they mean we are unlikely to cruise P&O from Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've booked Ventura for next year from Southampton and will arrive the day before. Then I guess, from what we have read, we wait until 3.30pm to board. Not happy at all but I suppose we know what to expect. I can't see P&O changing it ...

It is a bit of a bummer if you have stayed in Southampton the night before and aren't boarding till 4-00 pm. It's quite hard putting in time in Southampton when you just want to get onboard the ship but rules are rules and I will arrive at the time given.

It is a bit of a bummer if you have stayed in Southampton the night before and aren't boarding till 4-00 pm. It's quite hard putting in time in Southampton when you just want to get onboard the ship but rules are rules and I will arrive at the time given.

Of that there is no doubt. If you are turfed out of your hotel at 11am the thought of hanging around Southampton in the pouring rain is not an attractive proposition.

Of course you can go to the Port to leave your luggage but who wants to hang around in Wetherspoons for a couple of hours or wander around the exceptionally poor nearby shopping mall while waiting to board?

I have a 3pm check in for my cruise next month but the anticipation is spoiled by the thought of the inconvenient embarkation arrangements.

I am cruising with Royal Caribbean in September and if their ships and boarding arrangements are half decent I shall travel with them in future.

Of that there is no doubt. If you are turfed out of your hotel at 11am the thought of hanging around Southampton in the pouring rain is not an attractive proposition.

Of course you can go to the Port to leave your luggage but who wants to hang around in Wetherspoons for a couple of hours or wander around the exceptionally poor nearby shopping mall while waiting to board?

I have a 3pm check in for my cruise next month but the anticipation is spoiled by the thought of the inconvenient embarkation arrangements.

I am cruising with Royal Caribbean in September and if their ships and boarding arrangements are half decent I shall travel with them in future.

You are not turfed out of you hotel at 11 only your room. All Southampton hotels know what is happening and many have made arrangements to cope.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Many years ago we were embarking a cruise in Brooklyn, and arrived in Manhattan from Boston the day before embarkation. The morning of the cruise we went up the Empire State Building and had a stroll through Central Park. Then early afternoon, we took a cab to Brooklyn Terminal. We treated it like a port day and didn't feel like we were waiting around at all....

Many years ago we were embarking a cruise in Brooklyn, and arrived in Manhattan from Boston the day before embarkation. The morning of the cruise we went up the Empire State Building and had a stroll through Central Park. Then early afternoon, we took a cab to Brooklyn Terminal. We treated it like a port day and didn't feel like we were waiting around at all....

With respect I would not compare Southampton with NYC:D

You are not turfed out of you hotel at 11 only your room. All Southampton hotels know what is happening and many have made arrangements to cope.

The MacDonald Hotel at Botley park has a check out time of 11am and the nearby Holiday Inn is 12. Of course you can wait at the hotel or even wander around (weather permitting) but at the end of the day the process involves hanging around until you can board.

The MacDonald Hotel at Botley park has a check out time of 11am and the nearby Holiday Inn is 12. Of course you can wait at the hotel or even wander around (weather permitting) but at the end of the day the process involves hanging around until you can board.

As I said these are check out times for the room not the hotel.

So for everyone who has posted in this thread and all the others on this subject.

Along with the large American ships you want to turn up at 11.00am and port shortly afterwards.

Pando brought this in as they stated they had 1500 all wanting to check in from 11.00 am onwards.

If you had one 6000 monster and the likes of Azura at 3000+, so let's say 1500 wanting to board at 11.30,where are the port authority supposed to have the space (and Southampton itself) for 7500 people all turning up at the same time?

Everyone who is posting the most want to board early, which could involve you and 1000 other. How can that be pleasant.

If people hadn't started turning up earlier and earlier, in greater numbers, may this would not have been brought in ,in the first place.

So for everyone who has posted in this thread and all the others on this subject.

Along with the large American ships you want to turn up at 11.00am and port shortly afterwards.

Pando brought this in as they stated they had 1500 all wanting to check in from 11.00 am onwards.

If you had one 6000 monster and the likes of Azura at 3000+, so let's say 1500 wanting to board at 11.30,where are the port authority supposed to have the space (and Southampton itself) for 7500 people all turning up at the same time?

Everyone who is posting the most want to board early, which could involve you and 1000 other. How can that be pleasant.

If people hadn't started turning up earlier and earlier, in greater numbers, may this would not have been brought in ,in the first place.

As I've only ever cruised with P&O I'm not the best person to comment. All I know is that last year I was boarded about half an hour after I arrived at the Port. I was able to have lunch, unpack and then attend muster without rush. It was a good start to the holiday.

As I understand it other cruise lines have better boarding arrangements than P&O which allow flexibility for those of us who either have long distances to travel or use public transport or need to stay overnight.

I shall reserve final judgement until after I go on a RC cruise in September.

With respect I would not compare Southampton with NYC:D
Me neither, and I plan on doing more in Manhattan in 2 days than I did in Southampton on 27th & 28th May recently, when I arrive in NYC on Sunday 19th June!

That won't include M&S, Wetherspoons (The Giddy Bridge and The Standing Order!), Debenhams, and Mayflower Park! I've done the SeaCity Museum on previous visits.:D

I agree with what you say but what no-one has managed to answer is - How do the other lines manage to board earlier when P&O can't ?

I agree with what you say but what no-one has managed to answer is - How do the other lines manage to board earlier when P&O can't ?

One reason maybe that with the USA lines to have other nationalities on board.the arrival of people at port is naturally spread out as different flights come in.

The majority of those boarding earlier are British.

With pando the majority of people boarding are British , so it is easier to have a lot of people turning up at the same time

I am sure that if one of the 6000 monsters had an all British sailing and everyone turned up at 11am. Because it fitted in with THEIR travel plans. Regardless of the check in system used..online etc..you would have chaos.

One reason maybe that with the USA lines to have other nationalities on board.the arrival of people at port is naturally spread out as different flights come in.

The majority of those boarding earlier are British.

With pando the majority of people boarding are British , so it is easier to have a lot of people turning up at the same time

I am sure that if one of the 6000 monsters had an all British sailing and everyone turned up at 11am. Because it fitted in with THEIR travel plans. Regardless of the check in system used..online etc..you would have chaos.

I can't really argue as we don;t tend to go from Soton with other cruise lines but I'm not convinced, others on here that go with Celebrity and RCI say that they are more efficient and I'm sure that that plays a part. When we boarded Britannia recently it was a shambles.

What bemuses me is how people get very worked up about boarding the ships when they seem not to be bothered at all by boarding times of flights and all the airport hassle and waiting times there, which to me is all so much wors

Edited by Scriv

I think you need to consider that Harmony of the Seas which holds near 6,400 is no longer going to depart from Southampton, she's now in the Mediterranean, but on June 18th there will be the following ship in port in Southampton:

1. Acardia
  2. Braemar
  3. Britannia
  4. Emerald Princess
  5. Independence of the Seas

Now in fairness not all 16,000 (approximate maximum occupancy figure) are not going to turn up at 11:00 are they?

I also cannot even see 1,500 turning up for P&O at 11, (for RCI yes :D) but even if they did, this just points to lack of investment by both Carnival (P&O parent company) the Southampton port authority and the local council because it keeps being stated that the port, the city, nor P&O cruise line can cope.

Well you can't have your cake and eat it.

Southampton cried foul when Liverpool were given a grant to enable them to be a port of departure, not just a port of call.

Southampton clearly stated that they were the premier UK cruise port. Well, if you want that title and the revenue that goes with it, you must re-invest and make improvements to the infrastructure to enable the growth that is required to handle the larger ships.

Liverpool paid the grant back, in full and are still developing themselves as a port of departure. They are successful as a port of call now due to the history in the region, the football teams close by, the museums, The Beatles!

Sorry I digress.

So let's take Barcelona where Harmony of the Seas is now using as a home port.

June 19th

1. Brilliance of the Seas
  2. Harmony of the Seas
  3. Norwegian Epic
  4. Costa Fasinosa

Maximum occupancy 17,740.

Harmony will use 2 terminals as Allure and Oasis have done in the past to expedite the boarding process and make it a pleasant one for their guests.

Now, having sailed out of Barcelona many times, I can tell you that the taxis and coaches will be streaming to the port from 10:30 am onwards. People will be dropping bags, checking in or jumping on the free port shuttle back to the city from that point onwards. I've never experienced any delay, any traffic jams or delays in boarding. Check in opens, guests are scanned, checked in and welcomed on board in a steady trickle from then onwards until the cut off, which for RCI is 90 minutes before sailing.

Get my point? If Southampton wants to play with the big boys and earn the revenue that's out there, they need to up their game and make the whole cruising experience an enjoyable one.

IMHO, at the moment Southampton, and especially P&O don't deserve the business if they can't improve the whole cruise experience for guests. IMHO they are relying on the loyalty of past guests to put up with shoddy organisation and processes.

What bemuses me is how people get very worked up about boarding the ships when they seem not to be bothered at all by boarding times of flights and all the airport hassle and waiting times there, which to me is all so much wors

True but I guess that a flight is a means to a end, not the holiday itself. When I'm cruising, the cruise ship is a large part of the holiday and not just a form of transport.

True but I guess that a flight is a means to a end, not the holiday itself. When I'm cruising, the cruise ship is a large part of the holiday and not just a form of transport.

Yes, true - I guess it is a bit like getting checked in to your hotel. But then again there, we are given check in times for when our rooms are ready and seem happy with this.

Edited by Scriv

I think you need to consider that Harmony of the Seas which holds near 6,400 is no longer going to depart from Southampton, she's now in the Mediterranean, but on June 18th there will be the following ship in port in Southampton:

1. Acardia
  2. Braemar
  3. Britannia
  4. Emerald Princess

Now in fairness not all 16,000 (approximate maximum occupancy figure) are not going to turn up at 11:00 are they?

I also cannot even see 1,500 turning up for P&O at 11, (for RCI yes :D) but even if they did, this just points to lack of investment by both Carnival (P&O parent company) the Southampton port authority and the local council because it keeps being stated that the port, the city, nor P&O cruise line can cope.

Southampton cried foul when Liverpool were given a grant to enable them to be a port of departure, not just a port of call.

Southampton clearly stated that they were the premier UK cruise port. Well, if you want that title and the revenue that goes with it, you must re-invest and make improvements to the infrastructure to enable the growth that is required to handle the larger ships.

Liverpool paid the grant back, in full and are still developing themselves as a port of departure. They are successful as a port of call now due to the history in the region, the football teams close by, the museums, The Beatles!

Sorry I digress.

June 19th

2. Harmony of the Seas
  3. Norwegian Epic
  4. Costa Fasinosa

Harmony will use 2 terminals as Allure and Oasis have done in the past to expedite the boarding process and make it a pleasant one for their guests.

Now, having sailed out of Barcelona many times, I can tell you that the taxis and coaches will be streaming to the port from 10:30 am onwards. People will be dropping bags, checking in or jumping on the free port shuttle back to the city from that point onwards. I've never experienced any delay, any traffic jams or delays in boarding. Check in opens, guests are scanned, checked in and welcomed on board in a steady trickle from then onwards until the cut off, which for RCI is 90 minutes before sailing.

Get my point? If Southampton wants to play with the big boys and earn the revenue that's out there, they need to up their game and make the whole cruising experience an enjoyable one.

IMHO, at the moment Southampton, and especially P&O don't deserve the business if they can't improve the whole cruise experience for guests. IMHO they are relying on the loyalty of past guests to put up with shoddy organisation and processes.

I agree with you up to a point, Southampton maybe does need to invest more, but there is only so much space the cruise terminals can take up. Same as the roads, we are an island and the roads have a finite amount of space.

From when we have docked at Barcelona you are a little way out of the city. Southampton seems to be more in the city.

As regards the 1500 turning up for pando ships... before Britannia came on line, you were still given a boarding time with pando, but everyone ignored it and was told to turn up when they liked. Which they did and more and more people turned up earlier and earlier..I can vouch for that due to our b2b's..

When they brought this system in they said they were getting up to 1/2 the number of people going on a cruise turning up with in the first 2hrs..hence my 1500 for the likes of Azura and Ventura.

1. Acardia
  2. Braemar
  3. Britannia
  4. Emerald Princess

Sorry I digress.

June 19th

2. Harmony of the Seas
  3. Norwegian Epic
  4. Costa Fasinosa

Great points Pete, I agree that Barcelona boarding is very efficient, but Southampton manage to board the Celebrity and RCI ships early and efficiently so why not the P&O ships - seems to be P&O's embarkation system that is at fault.

Great points Pete, I agree that Barcelona boarding is very efficient, but Southampton manage to board the Celebrity and RCI ships early and efficiently so why not the P&O ships - seems to be P&O's embarkation system that is at fault.

It could be because of previous investment and can only get better at the City terminal due to the new 7 year deal agreed between RCI and the port of Southampton.

This is an extract from the deal reported recently.

"Royal Caribbean is pumping £5.5million into improved facilities at the terminal to speed up embarkations and tighten security.

New paperless check-in for passengers will mean a passengers will be able to travel from kerb to gangway in just ten minutes.

Other upgrades include improvement to layout and security screening areas, free wifi throughout the terminal, step-free-access to ships, digital signage and new air conditioning throughout the terminal.

The upgrade will mean Southampton will be able to cater for the new generation of larger cruise ships such as Harmony of the Seas.”

Just as I mentioned, investment by the Carnival corporation is required to improve the check in process for all its brands.

Edited by peteukmcr

Please see my points ref if you have other nationalities boarding who are flying in ,boarding is staggered naturally ,due to flights coming in at differnt times.someone is posting on the suite passenger thread about Barbados, I think, and they say because flights are staggered, boarding is easier.

I am slightly worried due to the times we live in when kerb to gangway in 10mins is promised. How thorough are the security checks in that space of time?