Boarding arrival times

glennbtn

You haven't met me then on a cruise :)

I like to think that I am usually a pretty easy going cruiser (honest) but this one really annoys me. (Bet you haven't noticed!)

Re going straight to the cabin ----- great if it is at 2pm, but if it is 4pm then I would prefer to carry my bags with me for 2 hours on the ship than up and down in Southampton for 6 hours .......

Now look, Dai, you've made me get all cross and bothered again. I will sit on my hands and not get cross ....................... I will sit on my hands ......... I will ............ I will try my best ;):) Then probably fail ...

:) :) :)

Far better telling P&O direct than posting on here. Not sure anyone looks at these posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know it is a hot subject on here but on the 3 cruises I have been on since this started, for a total of 8 weeks I only had one conversation about this and that was with a member of this forum.

If people are happy as they get to go straight to their cabins they will not see it as a problem and put it on their end of cruise forms.

Also it is not a topic mentioned on FB often.

So perhaps the majority do not see it as a mistake.

Dai, I told you at the time that you must have been deliberately avoiding all the passengers that raised the boarding problems with me, or more likely as a Goldie in a suite you did not witness the long queue outside the Mayflower terminal or the long wait in the lounge as security kept getting backed up; and quite possibly FB users have lots of other issues they are complaining about.

Dai, I told you at the time that you must have been deliberately avoiding all the passengers that raised the boarding problems with me, or more likely as a Goldie in a suite you did not witness the long queue outside the Mayflower terminal or the long wait in the lounge as security kept getting backed up; and quite possibly FB users have lots of other issues they are complaining about.

On our last cruise three couples mentioned boarding (I think it's something you only talk about on the first night). All of them had late boarding and tried to get on earlier. No one managed by much but, not one of them was complaining about it.

As a matter of interest for you, we recently sailed from Southampton on Black Watch with Fred. She's tiny of course. There were 3 desks open for Gold and Disabled and only 4 for the rest of us. Our checkin time was 3pm. We were there earlier to drop the car, but only about 2.15. We stood in a long snake of people for over 50 minutes before we even checked in. Now we know with Fred that we don't get lunch, so we had brought some with us, but the checkin was a shambles totally and we did mention it. Who decides I wonder how many desk will open?

Well, as always, I can only report what I find.......

My last three experiences embarking under this system have been seamless:

1.Allocated time 12 30 for a mini-suite - so yes, I guess that was to be expected that I would get straight on.

2.Allocated time 2 30pm - Arrived about 2 15 and went straight through

3.And two weeks ago with a time of 3pm - Dropped off at Ocean Terminal about 1 15pm and handed in the luggage. Did not even attempt to enter terminal building. Walked over to a pub and had lunch, returning to the terminal at 2 45pm. Went straight through and were on board and approaching cabin door minutes after 3pm.

On board, we hear no complaints whatsoever. Everyone spoke of arriving and going straight in - but these were people who had arrived near to their times and interestingly who had late allocated boarding times.

I suspect the people not happy are those who arrive very early and then have to sit around.

So I'm sorry, folks - my feedback every time so far has to say that embarkation has always flowed very well for me.

Edited by Scriv

Well, as always, I can only report what I find.......

My last three experiences embarking under this system have been seamless:

1.Allocated time 12 30 for a mini-suite - so yes, I guess that was to be expected that I would get straight on.

2.Allocated time 2 30pm - Arrived about 2 15 and went straight through

3.And two weeks ago with a time of 3pm - Dropped off at Ocean Terminal about 1 15pm and handed in the luggage. Did not even attempt to enter terminal building. Walked over to a pub and had lunch, returning to the terminal at 2 45pm. Went straight through and were on board and approaching cabin door minutes after 3pm.

On board, we hear no complaints whatsoever. Everyone spoke of arriving and going straight in - but these were people who had arrived near to their times and interestingly who had late allocated boarding times.

I suspect the people not happy are those who arrive very early and then have to sit around.

So I'm sorry, folks - my feedback every time so far has to say that embarkation has always flowed very well for me.

I think it has worked for you - it didn't for us. - We had 3:30 on Britannia a few weeks ago and arrived into the terminal at 2:45 and it was absolutely packed with no available seats for us and we didn't get on until 4:00. Perhaps this was because it was a nearly full ship. It is not that big a deal for us as we don't go from Southampton very often but it did spoil the afternoon for us, just one big rush once we got on.

Edited by bee-ess

Don't dread it, chris.... it really is not worth the worry to spoil the looking forward to your holiday.

I will continue to go near to my allocated boarding time and will take what comes as for me the worst scenario is to arrive hours early and then have to wait around in the terminal with so few facilities for hours.

Edited by Scriv

Don't dread it, chris.... it really is not worth the worry to spoil the looking forward to your holiday.

I will continue to go near to my allocated boarding time and will take what comes as for me, the worst scenario is to arrive hours early and then have to wait around in the terminal with so few facilities for hours.

Good point. This is our first cruise & we've never been to Southampton before. I'm sure we can wander around for a few hours & have lunch somewhere.

Good point. This is our first cruise & we've never been to Southampton before. I'm sure we can wander around for a few hours & have lunch somewhere.

You can get rid of your luggage and your car early, so you are unencumbered by baggage.

We were at Ocean Terminal and walked about 5 mins across to The Platform Tavern on Town Quay and had a very nice lunch. We started our holiday then :)

Edited by Scriv

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do these allocated boarding times for P&O just apply to departures from Southampton.

I would hope so - haven't been on a fly cruise with P&O since the new system but I'd hope that embarkation will be when you arrive at the ship. I don't think the Southampton system could work for fly cruises.

I would hope so - haven't been on a fly cruise with P&O since the new system but I'd hope that embarkation will be when you arrive at the ship. I don't think the Southampton system could work for fly cruises.

Don't panic about this one - the fly cruise is very different. You get on the ship once you arrive there and the last time we went straight to our cabin at about noon. (Oceana April 2015). To be fair, I think they only need to clean about half of the cabins as many passengers stay on for the 2nd part of a 2 week cruise on Oceana.

Not sure how you'd go on if boarding at the Mayflower terminal like we did for dropping your bags off and car, it's a long way back to dock gate 10. Not a lot in that immediate vicinity anyway except Ikea, Mcdonalds and TGI Friday from what we could see.

We have just been allocated a 15.30 embarkation time next month at the Mayflower terminal. :-(

What time is it ok to arrive as we only have our hotel room until 11am how strict are the times kept to?

(Think we prefer the old system at least you could arrive at leisure pick up a lettered card and wait your turn)

Will have to take a leisurely lunch and hopefully leave our luggage at the hotel as we are also carless for this cruise.

One good thing after this cruise we will have reached the dizzy heights of the Caribbean tier so wont have this problem on our next cruise :-)

Edited by vizzog

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do these allocated boarding times for P&O just apply to departures from Southampton.

Yes only Southampton. The Med and the Caribbean are different and very smooth as people arrive at different times from flights.

To be honest John there are 10 times more posts on the FB sites I look at and they still don't go on about this. Some complaining but far more positive posts as well.

why do you think that you have "paid for lunch". The cruise is advertised as 8 nights, or 17 nights. Doesn't say anything about lunch on the first day or the last day come to that?

Fred Olsen doesn't board until 2pm earliest and you don't get lunch on board that day.

P&O do say you get a lunch on your first day ...see link

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/lunch_immediate

"The ship’s buffet restaurant will be open for lunch until sailing, along with other selected restaurants."

Now will you get time before Muster Drill is another matter :rolleyes:

Comparing Fred Olsen in some ways they are just as bad .

Once we were coached by Fred from Liverpool to Bristol to board the Boudica,

we set off just after 7am and I think it was 11 -ish when we were sat in this makeshift warehouse and that was it until 3pm .

Our refreshments were from an onsite works canteen until we boarded .

The funniest thing we saw was the Group that turned up ( a Beatles Tribute band) guitars etc in their hands and were told by security

to sit with us lot and wait their turn . No matter what they said they were going nowhere . ( Beatles - Nowhere man:D )

Lucky for them a ships officer came by and ordered that they be let on .

Once we got onboard I have to say this , over the next few days we were served some of the best meals onboard a ship we have had to this day .

So some things are worth waiting for .;)

Edited by kalos

I'm not trying to be pedantic - honest! But although it is open for lunch, nowhere does it say that lunch is included in the price you booked. For obviously reasons, if some folk don't board until 3.30, OK they can still have something to eat in the buffet, but if you are like me, I would be hungry at 1.30, so basically if we are boarding at 3 or later, I would bring a sandwich.

Not wanting to pick holes but there has been a few Facebook posts re boarding times and also the majority of fbook posts are from new cruisers looking for information or people new to a particular itinerary. Therefore most people don't start a thread about boarding as it's not until they've experienced until they go.

Facebook is good but it's very transient as it's easy to throw in a post whereas here its more "formal" at times.

:)

I'm not trying to be pedantic - honest! But although it is open for lunch, nowhere does it say that lunch is included in the price you booked. .

It does say under "what is included in your fare"

Food†

All included in the price of your holiday

Breakfast, lunch and five course dinner in our sumptuous restaurants

Meals and snacks from 24 hour buffets, pizzerias, daytime grills, deck barbecues and informal pool-side restaurants

Room service and Afternoon tea of sandwiches, cakes and pastries

Brian

I think in regards to this we all have our own preference as to what time we arrive. Some of us have to travel quite a distance and can't risk traffic and hold ups from accidents etc. We're sailing from Mayflower next week and as I'm at work all week travelling down the day before is not possible. We will still leave our normal time and I'll take a magazine or my kindle to read in the terminal as we could arrive a good hour or more before our boarding time. I've not sailed from Mayflower for years as always been Ocean terminal or QE2. Just give me a glass of bubbly at sail away and I'll be a happy bunny :D