Boarding arrival times

glennbtn

I'm on Britannia later this month and have a boarding time of 15:30 for an A deck cabin.

We had that slot a month ago and got on at 4PM - although it was an almost full ship. It was a bit chaotic, the lounge was very full and lots without seats. Was what we expected really. Makes it all a bit of a rush for muster and getting unpacked though. Hopefully you will on time or earlier.

Other lines do this much more efficiently and earlier.

Edited by bee-ess

Our family members travelling with us last weekend on Azura had 2:30 pm check in times. As we entered the terminal at 2:15 they were given 2 fast track cards and waved off in the general direction of check in. We had a time of 3pm and were given a cards with the letter J on. Our family members who haven't cruised before were not happy checking in alone and asked if we could accompany them. Much eye rolling and tutting ensued but our cards were snatched back and we were shooed along by the 2nd lady down the line. I didn't realise she had also taken back one of the fast track cards so when we got to the 3rd lady manning the final line she made a great fuss that we only had 1 fast track card for 4 of us. We didn't know any better. Funny thing was, as we finally reached the end of the queue and joined a line for check in, they called those with a card with the letter J we had originally anyway!

Finally onboard around 2:45 pm.

Edited by peteukmcr

Much eye rolling and tutting ensued

That was my recent experience at Southampton as well.

The staff in the P&O terminal building were giving a 'Ryanair' level of what could only be loosely described as customer service, and clearly wanted to be something else.

This whole situation is so frustrating! We boarded Harmony of the Seas in Southhampton last week along with 6000 other passengers. Photos etc were uploaded in advance. It took 15 mins from shore to ship! We were eating lunch before 12. P & O are seriously lacking behind. We sailed Ventura last year and we didn't get on until 4pm. It was such a faff with a lot of waiting around before we got on and a real rush once we did. We are likely to book Ventura again this year but I would only book P&O for longer cruises. If it was just a few days it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This whole situation is so frustrating! We boarded Harmony of the Seas in Southhampton last week along with 6000 other passengers. Photos etc were uploaded in advance. It took 15 mins from shore to ship! We were eating lunch before 12. P & O are seriously lacking behind. We sailed Ventura last year and we didn't get on until 4pm. It was such a faff with a lot of waiting around before we got on and a real rush once we did. We are likely to book Ventura again this year but I would only book P&O for longer cruises. If it was just a few days it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I agree, but apparently one of the reasons is that passengers have made feedback that they would like their cabins to be available when they board, so one of the reasons boarding doesn't start until a lot later than other lines, is that once onboard you can go straight to your cabin and will not be cluttering up the public areas like the buffet with hand baggage.

It is also worth noting that we were advised that we didn't have to disembark until 9:45 am, which I reckon is later than other lines, so staff can't really start preparing fully the public areas for the next set of passengers until after then. Although all passengers are asked to vacate their cabin by 8:00 am which is similar to other lines. This will obviously have a knock on effect on subsequent boarding.

Edited by peteukmcr

I agree, but apparently one of the reasons is that passengers have made feedback that they would like their cabins to be available when they board, so one of the reasons boarding doesn't start until a lot later than other lines, is that once onboard you can go straight to your cabin and will not be cluttering up the public areas like the buffet with hand baggage.

It is also worth noting that we were advised that we didn't have to disembark until 9:45 am, which I reckon is later than other lines, so staff can't really start preparing fully the public areas for the next set of passengers until after then. Although all passengers are asked to vacate their cabin by 8:00 am which is similar to other lines. This will obviously have a knock on effect on subsequent boarding.

I did notice that on the last day we were asks to leave the ship earlier with Royal Caribbean so that is a good point.

However if they had better processes they could get everyone on quicker so that they wouldn't be dragging it out and having people wait around so much.

Also they haven't moved departure times to reflect the later boarding times. We had a toddler with us and we went straight to our cabin and then to register her at the nursery. By that time it was time for muster which took ages!! We hadn't eaten proper lunch expecting that we'd grab a snack on board but it just wasn't possible. It wasn't the most relaxing start to the cruise. Next time we'll know better!!!

I did notice that on the last day we were asks to leave the ship earlier with Royal Caribbean so that is a good point.

However if they had better processes they could get everyone on quicker so that they wouldn't be dragging it out and having people wait around so much.

Also they haven't moved departure times to reflect the later boarding times. We had a toddler with us and we went straight to our cabin and then to register her at the nursery. By that time it was time for muster which took ages!! We hadn't eaten proper lunch expecting that we'd grab a snack on board but it just wasn't possible. It wasn't the most relaxing start to the cruise. Next time we'll know better!!!

Our muster drill on Azura was delayed by 40 minutes due the fact that check in hadn't been completed for all guests, and so everyone wasn't on board by 4pm, and as a consequence sail away was delayed by 1 hour too and we finally left at 5:30 pm.

We had considered doing a 3 day cruise on Ventura for my birthday in October to give the ship (and cabin) a try before our 17 day cruise next year.

We can live with the fact that there may have been lots of hen / stag parties, but the thought that we would probably board at about 3.30pm on the first day at the earliest due to the location of the cabin meant that we had already lost half a day before we even got onboard, a massive rush to Muster Drill and certainly not a relaxed first day.

Now if we try the RCI IOS cruise (at the same time) we know that we will be on board at about 11 a.m.

This is the one subject that 'does my head in' but will now sit on my hands and think positive thoughts re Oceana and a fly cruise .....

:rolleyes:

I've been wondering why P&O do this, they must know that it's unpopular with their customers. I can only come up with cost! Staggered boarding means that have to have less check in staff, even if they aren't actually P&O staff they still need paying. Also later boardings mean that many people won't/can't have lunch on board, lunch I might add that customers have paid for, thus saving money. Another example of penny pinching?

I've been wondering why P&O do this, they must know that it's unpopular with their customers. I can only come up with cost! Staggered boarding means that have to have less check in staff, even if they aren't actually P&O staff they still need paying. Also later boardings mean that many people won't/can't have lunch on board, lunch I might add that customers have paid for, thus saving money. Another example of penny pinching?

Ironically, we don't have lunch - tend to have a wander around to look at the ship and have a drink (that we pay for). Oh well, as I've said many times, P&O need to re think this one ... back to sit on hands :D:) .... but its killing me ;)

Can I suggest those unhappy with how P&O deal with embarkation and have suggestions, write to the address below.

Customer Services

P&O Cruises

Carnival House

100 Harbour Parade

Southampton

SO15 1ST

Ensure you quote your booking reference too.

why do you think that you have "paid for lunch". The cruise is advertised as 8 nights, or 17 nights. Doesn't say anything about lunch on the first day or the last day come to that?

Fred Olsen doesn't board until 2pm earliest and you don't get lunch on board that day.

False economy in my mind because if people could get on board earlier I'm sure the increase in revenue from bar sales would far outweigh the cost of lunch that P&O provide. The cost of lunch will be tiny compared to a price of a drink.

why do you think that you have "paid for lunch". The cruise is advertised as 8 nights, or 17 nights. Doesn't say anything about lunch on the first day or the last day come to that?

Fred Olsen doesn't board until 2pm earliest and you don't get lunch on board that day.

Because P&O provide it. If lunch is not included, then don't provide it, simple.

If Fred Olsen don't provide it on the first day, then it is obviously not included in your cruise fare.

P&O advise that lunch will be available even for those boarding late.

Lunch on the last day is irrelevant, P&O ask that you disembark the ship before lunch would be served on your last day.

Edited by peteukmcr

Can I suggest those unhappy with how P&O deal with embarkation and have suggestions, write to the address below.

Customer Services

P&O Cruises

Carnival House

100 Harbour Parade

Southampton

SO15 1ST

Ensure you quote your booking reference too.

Many thanks. I did write in a lot of detail on my post cruise questionnaire, but will follow it up to this address.

We had considered doing a 3 day cruise on Ventura for my birthday in October to give the ship (and cabin) a try before our 17 day cruise next year.

We can live with the fact that there may have been lots of hen / stag parties, but the thought that we would probably board at about 3.30pm on the first day at the earliest due to the location of the cabin meant that we had already lost half a day before we even got onboard, a massive rush to Muster Drill and certainly not a relaxed first day.

Now if we try the RCI IOS cruise (at the same time) we know that we will be on board at about 11 a.m.

This is the one subject that 'does my head in' but will now sit on my hands and think positive thoughts re Oceana and a fly cruise .....

:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly, it frustrates me that P&O continue down this path. We got on Britannia at 4PM last month and it was just one rush from there on to muster and unpack. We are caribbean grade but could not board easier as we were travelling with another couple in 1 car and they had 3:30 embark with turned in 4:00. We had a great cruise but that first day was horrible and if it had been a 2/3 night cruise we would have lost a large part of it - I know it was only 3 hours but in reality it was a stressful afternoon against a normal relaxing afternoon.

Edited by bee-ess

I simply meant that lunch on the first day is not actually stated anywhere that I know. The fact that the buffet is open at all times on P&O whether you want breakfast, lunch, tea or dinner is something else.

My thoughts exactly, it frustrates me that P&O continue down this path. We got on Britannia at 4PM last month and it was just one rush from there on to muster and unpack. We are caribbean grade but could not board easier as we were travelling with another couple in 1 car and they had 3:30 embark with turned in 4:00. We had a great cruise but that first day was horrible and if it had been a 2/3 night cruise we would have lost a large part of it - I know it was only 3 hours but in reality it was a stressful afternoon against a normal relaxing afternoon.

Glad it isn't just us ....... sadly, I think that P&O won't back down on this one. It would take someone really strong to admit that they made a mistake here.

As with a lot of large organisations now people at the top who haven't a clue about what is going on coz they've never been there and experienced it!

Jackie

Hi Jackie, don't want to get too political, but have to say "too true .........." re this post.

:(

Glad it isn't just us ....... sadly, I think that P&O won't back down on this one. It would take someone really strong to admit that they made a mistake here.

I know it is a hot subject on here but on the 3 cruises I have been on since this started, for a total of 8 weeks I only had one conversation about this and that was with a member of this forum.

If people are happy as they get to go straight to their cabins they will not see it as a problem and put it on their end of cruise forms.

Also it is not a topic mentioned on FB often.

So perhaps the majority do not see it as a mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Possibly it is a money saving issue but to me it just feels like it's just poor organisation and unwillingness (or not realising that they need to) upgrade their systems to those similar to other cruise lines.

It's possibly not a bone of contention for people who always sail P&O as its all they know and they just accept it. Having seen the comparisons with other cruise lines though it's hard not to be frustrated because it can be done so so so much better. However I'll make my peace with it before our next cruise and just get a better plan of action together.

I also gave detailed feedback in my questionnaire about my views on our last cruise. I'll do the same next time too!

I know it is a hot subject on here but on the 3 cruises I have been on since this started, for a total of 8 weeks I only had one conversation about this and that was with a member of this forum.

If people are happy as they get to go straight to their cabins they will not see it as a problem and put it on their end of cruise forms.

Also it is not a topic mentioned on FB often.

So perhaps the majority do not see it as a mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You haven't met me then on a cruise :)

I like to think that I am usually a pretty easy going cruiser (honest) but this one really annoys me. (Bet you haven't noticed!)

Re going straight to the cabin ----- great if it is at 2pm, but if it is 4pm then I would prefer to carry my bags with me for 2 hours on the ship than up and down in Southampton for 6 hours .......

Now look, Dai, you've made me get all cross and bothered again. I will sit on my hands and not get cross ....................... I will sit on my hands ......... I will ............ I will try my best ;):) Then probably fail ...

Possibly it is a money saving issue but to me it just feels like it's just poor organisation and unwillingness (or not realising that they need to) upgrade their systems to those similar to other cruise lines.

It's possibly not a bone of contention for people who always sail P&O as its all they know and they just accept it. Having seen the comparisons with other cruise lines though it's hard not to be frustrated because it can be done so so so much better. However I'll make my peace with it before our next cruise and just get a better plan of action together.

I also gave detailed feedback in my questionnaire about my views on our last cruise. I'll do the same next time too!

Hi, we generally sail with P&O and certainly don't accept it. Like you, I know that it can be done, so, so , so much better. Oh dear, I keep promising to sit on my hands and not get drawn in to this debate. I think I need to write to P&O direct and get it off my chest. ;)

Hi, we generally sail with P&O and certainly don't accept it. Like you, I know that it can be done, so, so , so much better. Oh dear, I keep promising to sit on my hands and not get drawn in to this debate. I think I need to write to P&O direct and get it off my chest. ;)

Hi Preston2, I have already written to P&O on this subject and on the questionnaire fir each of our last 2 cruises we have written that the new boarding procedure is in our opinion a backward step when compared to other cruise lines boarding procedures. The reply from P&O acknowledged our opinions but said that the majority of passengers' comments were positive and felt that the new system was a great improvement. I find this hard to believe but I don't think that there is much chance that it will change in the near future if people just continue to post here rather than let P&O know their views. Now I will stop reading posts on this subject and just remember that after the 2 cruises we currently have booked on P&O our cruises next year are booked with Celebrity so we will have a better boarding experience next year.