One Loyalty Program for all Carnival brands

Luke Dawg

You have to redeem points in the hotel programs to get many of their loyalty benefits. In addition:

You get more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands. So should you get 1 point for Carnival, 2 for Princess, 3 for Cunard?

You need to USE more points for the "fancier" (more expensive) brands as well. So use 1 points for loyalty benefits on Carnival, 2 points for benefits on Princess...???

Seems like a bit of a hassle and not sure it can ever really be "even'ed" up, particularly as the different lines give you different benefits for their loyalty, based on their regular clientelle

Tons of ways it could be done, but clearly Carnival doesn't want to, unfortunately. It could also be that everything stays the way it is, but if you want to try and use a different line, you only get half your credits.

Meaning 100 Carnival nights only gets you 50 on Princess, and 100 Princess only gets you 50 on Carnival. Now before you jump down my throat on how thats unfair because Princess is more expensive and offers more, thats kind of the point. From a business perspective you are keeping everything consistent. From a reality point of view though, how many Platinum cruisers are looking to switch from Princess to Carnival? It maintains the loyalty incentive, keeps everything fair. Obviously what I am suggesting here isn't perfect, and nothing ever will be, but its an idea to level the field but still rewarding loyalty.

Tons of ways it could be done, but clearly Carnival doesn't want to, unfortunately. It could also be that everything stays the way it is, but if you want to try and use a different line, you only get half your credits.

Meaning 100 Carnival nights only gets you 50 on Princess, and 100 Princess only gets you 50 on Carnival. Now before you jump down my throat on how thats unfair because Princess is more expensive and offers more, thats kind of the point. From a business perspective you are keeping everything consistent. From a reality point of view though, how many Platinum cruisers are looking to switch from Princess to Carnival? It maintains the loyalty incentive, keeps everything fair. Obviously what I am suggesting here isn't perfect, and nothing ever will be, but its an idea to level the field but still rewarding loyalty.

You identified exactly why it hasn't been done after decades of multi-brand portfolio.

I challenge you to come up with "tons of ways it could be done" with a level of detail that will be fair, balanced and embraced by everyone without a single complaint.

I'll be in Never Never Land while you churn out your solution.

How about this, keep all plans in place, that way no one loses out, create a complimentary plan that runs parallel, tier it (based on something) and recognize them on all brands. Like:

travel 10 days any brand = free photo voucher

travel 30 days any brand = priority boarding

travel 50 days any brand = priority boarding/check-in/disembarkation

travel >50 any brand = access to VIP check in lounge

travel > 100 any brand = specialty dinner for two

etc.

That is just it. There are a myriad of issues, both in past and future attainment as well as reward (if that is the right term) differences. Changing these would not only be a logistical nightmare but would P.O. the majority who would now feel cheated.

Carnival had hired Jim Berra some time ago (since left for Royal) to overhaul the loyalty program (he did such with the Starwoods reward program). After much looking and consternation, the gave up.

I can think of a reason it wouldn't work: Seabourn. After a certain amount of sailed days you get a free cruise. I don't think the bean counters would be thrilled with people sailing Carnival then trying to collect free cruises on Seabourn.

Obviously the top tier on Carnival would not equate to the highest level on any other cruise line (except MSC :p). It would have to be one of the lower levels. One would have to then "earn" higher levels on the sister cruise lines.

Obviously the top tier on Carnival would not equate to the highest level on any other cruise line (except MSC :p). It would have to be one of the lower levels. One would have to then "earn" higher levels on the sister cruise lines.

Most lines have a level where the really desirable perks kick in (Platinum on CCL, Diamond on RCI for example). I think giving high level cruisers from a sister line a starting point there would be nice, even if it isn't the top tier.

Celebrity gives Royal's Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members entry at Elite status which is the level that the nightly cocktail hours kick in. There's two more levels above that, so I think it's a pretty fair bargain.

Most lines have a level where the really desirable perks kick in (Platinum on CCL, Diamond on RCI for example). I think giving high level cruisers from a sister line a starting point there would be nice, even if it isn't the top tier.

Celebrity gives Royal's Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members entry at Elite status which is the level that the nightly cocktail hours kick in. There's two more levels above that, so I think it's a pretty fair bargain.

That is actually the best idea I have heard in a while.

It would definitely entice me to try one of their other brands. Every time I venture out, it always is to one of their competing brands. I would like to HAL and Love Boat myself one day.

I agree- this would definitely entice me to try one of their other brands and maybe even cruise more. Right now, we have started cruising Disney and have booked on RCL- because we wouldn't be getting any loyalty rewards for staying within the Carnival umbrella anyway if we chose one of Carnival's other brands.

In the Q&A in March 2015 I did ask, I feel that the answer was a brush-off

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_Meet_Carnival_Corp_President_Arnold_Donald

If you scroll down or search for "wickedhangover" you'll see where my question did come up. Here's the answer provided:

Q) From wickedhangover: Will it ever be possible to maintain status (VIFP) throughout all 9 of the company cruise lines?

A) Arnold Donald

Again, our goal is to exceed guest expectations in all that we do. That includes loyalty programs. While it is doubtful that loyalty program status will ever automatically transfer from, for example, the Carnival brand to the Seabourn brand, we are deep into exploring how to transfer status in a fair and appropriate fashion across our nine brands.

In the Q&A in March 2015 I did ask, I feel that the answer was a brush-off

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Cruise_Critic_Live_Meet_Carnival_Corp_President_Arnold_Donald

If you scroll down or search for "wickedhangover" you'll see where my question did come up. Here's the answer provided:

Q) From wickedhangover: Will it ever be possible to maintain status (VIFP) throughout all 9 of the company cruise lines?

A) Arnold Donald

Again, our goal is to exceed guest expectations in all that we do. That includes loyalty programs. While it is doubtful that loyalty program status will ever automatically transfer from, for example, the Carnival brand to the Seabourn brand, we are deep into exploring how to transfer status in a fair and appropriate fashion across our nine brands.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like what RCCL and Celebrity do. You wont accrue more nights, but you are at least not treated as a first time cruiser

Yes. Remember they only match the tiers at the 2nd and 3rd level, not the first level after people have cruised only once. You do need to cruise like 5 times on one of the loyalty levels to get a match on the other.

Yes. Remember they only match the tiers at the 2nd and 3rd level, not the first level after people have cruised only once. You do need to cruise like 5 times on one of the loyalty levels to get a match on the other.

Even with the minimums, I still think it's a good system. Although there are those Diamond+ and Pinnacle members on RCI, and Elite+ and Zenith members on Celebrity who don't like the "downgrade", in my opinion it's a very nice thing to do and encourages customers to sample their various brands. I hope Carnival Corp. starts something similar.

Even with the minimums, I still think it's a good system. Although there are those Diamond+ and Pinnacle members on RCI, and Elite+ and Zenith members on Celebrity who don't like the "downgrade", in my opinion it's a very nice thing to do and encourages customers to sample their various brands. I hope Carnival Corp. starts something similar.

Actually I like the minimums, you should need to get some "loyalty" before you can use the matching status, rather then take 1 cruise and then jump around. I have heard the same thing from others, though honestly I'm perfectly happy to get Elite on Celebrity (would be Select on our own), even though we're D+ on RCCL.

They could start something similar, though I would suspect it might get limited to the Carnival/Princess/HAL brands, maybe Costa as well. I think the luxury brands would stay separate. I also suspect it will be mainly a 1-way usage (Carnival to others), as I don't see as many Princess/HAL folks sailing Carnival much.

Actually I like the minimums, you should need to get some "loyalty" before you can use the matching status, rather then take 1 cruise and then jump around. I have heard the same thing from others, though honestly I'm perfectly happy to get Elite on Celebrity (would be Select on our own), even though we're D+ on RCCL.

They could start something similar, though I would suspect it might get limited to the Carnival/Princess/HAL brands, maybe Costa as well. I think the luxury brands would stay separate. I also suspect it will be mainly a 1-way usage (Carnival to others), as I don't see as many Princess/HAL folks sailing Carnival much.

I agree with you there, and I felt the same way going from RCI D+ to Celebrity earlier this year. I thought it was great that we got to go to the nightly cocktail parties on only our second cruise with them. So in that way it's a success, since the perks were one of the factors that led us to picking Celebrity over comparable Carnival Corp. brands.

Remember seeing Heald say there are over 100,000 platinum members. Would never work. It would be nice. But, be like getting your Burger King status and have it transferred to Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

I agree with you there, and I felt the same way going from RCI D+ to Celebrity earlier this year. I thought it was great that we got to go to the nightly cocktail parties on only our second cruise with them. So in that way it's a success, since the perks were one of the factors that led us to picking Celebrity over comparable Carnival Corp. brands.

Yes, it definitely helps us as well. We'll be Elite anyway in a couple more cruises with them, but it is nice getting the nightly cocktail party there.

(On a side note, since we're sailing the Grandeur in 3 weeks, I was just thinking how much fun we had on that Vision of the Seas cruise we did in 2012 that we were on together. We actually saw Brenda & Evan last year in Oklahoma when we did a road trip through the state).

I was told on our last cruise on the Breeze by the CD that it wasn't going to happen. :( I too now am Diamond (just made it :)) and would love this. The only perk that would be nice is laundry because we take less clothes. But we want different itineraries.

I have a question about your laundry. Do you send everything? I have heard they use hot water so only sent underwear and jeans shorts that would not shrink. My room steward told me you could request cold water wash. Have you done that? I would just hate to send a t-shirt and have it shrink or fade, but it sure would be nice to bring home clean laundry!

Let's make some noise about this. It is long over due.

I am starting this thread in the hope Carnival Corp will consider combining the loyalty programs of all their cruise brands. I am a frequent Carnival cruiser. I am proud to say I have earned Platinum level with Carnival. Recently my small group booked a November cruise on Princess. This will be our first Princess cruise and we are all looking forward to a new cruise experience. When asked by my PVP why we chose Princess, my reply back was "I wanted to keep it in the family". I have been thinking about what I said "keeping it in the family" and with much thought have come to the conclusion that Carnival Corp. may not feel the same way. Carnival Corp. benefits from my loyalty in terms of market share and profits. So my question is "When will Carnival Corp. combine all their loyalty programs?" My wife and I enjoy priority check-in, boarding and debarkation, appreciation drink, dedicated line at Guest Services, complimentary wash and fold to mention a few. I believe these benefits could easily be recognized on all CCL brands.

As you know combining loyalty programs are not uncommon. It is widely known the Airline industry has been very successful in combining frequent flyer programs. In fact creating one program is the first order of business when carriers merge or enter into a marketing relationship.

Let's go Carnival Corp - one program for ALL!

there is no benefit to carnival for doing this so i don't expect it to happen any time in the near future........if ever.

there is no benefit to carnival for doing this so i don't expect it to happen any time in the near future........if ever.

Actually there is benefit. The question is whether there is enough to make it worth there while.

Several, but here is one. As, example we have 30+ cruises on Carnival. We cruise it because we enjoy the product - a lot. That being said, there are times when the Carnival product does not go to or meet our requirements for an upcoming cruise. If there was a loyalty program that invented us to use a sister company, we would def do that as opposed to branching out to another line.

Really? None?

If this company could figure out how to fill their ships without slashing to basement rates, supply and demand would slowly raise rates ", and services could be restored to a level exceeding skeleton.

CCL has always been considered entry level cruising. To pass that customer off to one of their better lines is a win win. Some do stick around and cruise CCl over and over, but they have their own reasons for that. I would think boredom would set in after the third go round without injecting something new.

The vision I remember reading around 2004 (I can't find a link or I'd cite it) from either Carnival CEO or someone representing all of the Carnival brands looked something like a product lifecycle map for a loyalty program across all their brands.

I don't remember the exact details but it illustrated a young couple getting married on a carnival ship, then they sailed another 10 or so times as they had kids and the kids became teenagers.

Then at the point when the kids were heading to college, the couple then started to sail on Princess. It showed the couple traveling with drinking age children and other couples. This went on for another 5-10 cruises.

Then the couple moved onto Holland America. Now it showed the couple more on their own and meeting other people on the ship, not sailing with people they knew.

They interjected other shots of the couple sailing on Carnival again but it was a family reunion thing with their kids and grandchildren.

Finally they had them taking other cruises on Seabourn and Windstar.

But the point behind the whole article was showing how Carnival Corp looks at passengers as little buckets of cash and how you have to cultivate them so that you get increasingly larger sums of cash from them.

The problem, as I see it, is that they never followed through by having a loyalty program path that allows their vision of natural progression through the brands. But what seems worse is that they created a loyalty program where the higher up you get, the less money you spend.

By not allowing me to progress in the way they had illustrated in a loyalty program that tried to up-sell me at each level, they've put me in a position where I don't go to Princess, Holland America or other lines. When you go on a new line, you tend to spend more money the first few times than if you stay with the same line.

My last cruise was my 27th and 28th with Carnival, my sail and sign at the end was $275 for my wife and I (prepaid gratuity). But 15 years ago when I was on my 4th cruise, the account was $750 (gratuity was paid in cash back then).

I don't see the difference being that I've learned how to cruise and I don't spend money like I used to. It's that Carnival doesn't offer things that I would spend money on. But when I look at Princess and Holland America, there are things that I would spend money on.

So when Carnival looks at cost/benefit for spreading out the loyalty program, they are really missing something that is blatantly obvious to all of us it seems. But the stupid thing about it is that they are missing so many opportunities to cross/up sell on the ships themselves. Why would you not put Princess, Holland America, Seabourn and other brochures at the future cruise desk?

I've booked while onboard and it is usually after a few cocktails. If the salesperson showed me a carnival sailing for 8 days next year for $1500/person but suggested a 11 day on Princess for $1950, I would have upgraded without question if my loyalty rewards followed me.

The only loyalty rewards I care about are priority boarding, priority tenders and free laundry. So in my above scenario, Carnival got another $900 from me in an upsell to a higher priced brand and in return I probably got rewards that cost them like $25.

Why don't they see this as a huge opportunity and embrace it? Boggles my mind.

Edited by wickedhangover

Several, but here is one. As, example we have 30+ cruises on Carnival. We cruise it because we enjoy the product - a lot. That being said, there are times when the Carnival product does not go to or meet our requirements for an upcoming cruise. If there was a loyalty program that invented us to use a sister company, we would def do that as opposed to branching out to another line.

as i see it, that is a gamble that carnival doesn't want to take so not really a benefit. a lot depends on what the 'requirements' are for a cruiser. if you mean different ports, then if a requirement was to go to labadee, you can't do that on any carnival corp ship, you have to go to rccl. another which was previously mentioned is someone who got platinum on carnival by taking 10-3 day cruises on carnival and now they get all the benefits that princess has.....whatever they are. there exists the possibility of upsetting more people causing them to move to a competitor than saving. of course, we will never know unless carnival enacts it but from my point of view, carnival would see little to no financial benefit in doing so and not worth the gamble.