Vista 3?

Fantasy class won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Carnival has no lines to pass them down to, anymore, and there is no real market for used cruise ships.

I disagree. Carnival has a history of keeping ships in the fleet 20-30 years. The Fantasy is is 26 years old. It become a maintenance cost/benefit issue. There is a market for used ships.

I disagree. Carnival has a history of keeping ships in the fleet 20-30 years. The Fantasy is is 26 years old. It become a maintenance cost/benefit issue. There is a market for used ships.

Really? Fantasy has been listed for sale for years. No takers. Who's buying right now? Everybody who's anybody is building new.

They would not be putting the 2.0 upgrades on the Fantasy class just to sell them. I think they'll be around for another 10 years or so. I would like to see new updated Spirit Class ships.

They probably would sell some of them if they could. My friend brings up a good point in terms of the market for used ships. All that being said, all of the Fantasy class are very profitable for the company. As you mention, that is why they are investing 2.0 on those ships. I do not see a new Spirit class type of ship in Carnival's future tho.....

They probably would sell some of them if they could. My friend brings up a good point in terms of the market for used ships. All that being said, all of the Fantasy class are very profitable for the company. As you mention, that is why they are investing 2.0 on those ships. I do not see a new Spirit class type of ship in Carnival's future tho.....

Carnival seems to have caught the bigger is better bug.

Seems like financially better to keep the Fantasy class ships for now.

Carnival seems to have caught the bigger is better bug.

Seems like financially better to keep the Fantasy class ships for now.

I am happy there are new ships coming. We will be in the Vista next week and excited to see and experience her.

Despite posts to the contrary' date=' the Fantasy class is very profitable and fulfilling a need. Carnival went thru a record setting pace for new ships starting with this class (all of which they paid for in cash btw). As with most things as they age, they are dated in some aspects but still providing significant revenue source to the company and to their cruisers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Vista is Barely the size of RCCL's Voyager which was Launched over 17 years ago.

If they "caught a bug" it's a very mild case.

Always something to be thankful for, new builds are a good thing and Vista seems to be a home run. Thankfully they did not bring it out half baked like disharmony of the seas

Edited by jimbo5544

Always something to be thankful for, new builds are a good thing and Vista seems to be a home run. Thankfully they did not bring it out half baked like disharmony of the seas

Frankenshine ring a bell? It's first few sailings after the demons of Destiny were exorcised from it were the poster child for how not to bring a ship online. :p

Frankenshine ring a bell? It's first few sailings after the demons of Destiny were exorcised from it were the poster child for how not to bring a ship online. :p

Sunshine is fine and Vista has exceeded expectations... All is good

Carnival had good reasons for their issues....not so much with Harmony or the Empress disasters. Beginning to wonder what the heck is going on in WOW land.

Fathom got off to a rocky start too, if I recall. Careful with those stones, ye olde glass house dweller. LOL

Don't forget about the CG holding Triumph for a failed inspection in Galveston after it returned from it's most embarassing hiatus, post fire.

Edited by Thorncroft

Carnival had good reasons for their issues....not so much with Harmony or the Empress disasters. Beginning to wonder what the heck is going on in WOW land.

They also just rolled out a Quantum class ship in the same short time period. That one ship is Vista's equal and it came out just a smoothly. Probably just a case of too many irons in the fire for them.

They also just rolled out a Quantum class ship in the same short time period. That one ship is Vista's equal and it came out just a smoothly. Probably just a case of too many irons in the fire for them.

Possibly, who knows. They have shown a tendency to opt for the short cut with revenue generation (and they sure have spent a lot) at the expense (no pun intended) of the clients, even with Anthem and refusing to cancel a cruise with the hurricane which everyone else did. I am not bashing, but there have been a series of decisions they have made recently that seem to be purely revenue driven. As you say, they do have a lot on the table, but it is concerning.

Harmony of the Seas cost $1.35 Billion - even though it cost less on a per-passenger basis than Carnival Vista ($780 Million), I'm sure Royal Caribbean is anxious to recover their investment as quickly as possible, given they likely dropped another $940 Million on Ovation of the Seas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harmony of the Seas cost $1.35 Billion - even though it cost less on a per-passenger basis than Carnival Vista ($780 Million), I'm sure Royal Caribbean is anxious to recover their investment as quickly as possible, given they likely dropped another $940 Million on Ovation of the Seas - maybe even a little too anxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshine is fine and Vista has exceeded expectations... All is good

I wonder if we will see complaints about the small size of Vista's comedy club venue as well as the smaller size of the main show lounge.

Understand that both are much smaller than on previous ships.

Possibly, who knows. They have shown a tendency to opt for the short cut with revenue generation (and they sure have spent a lot) at the expense (no pun intended) of the clients, even with Anthem and refusing to cancel a cruise with the hurricane which everyone else did. I am not bashing, but there have been a series of decisions they have made recently that seem to be purely revenue driven. As you say, they do have a lot on the table, but it is concerning.

Getting way off topic with Anthem, but I think it's a stretch to say that decision was revenue based. Back to Vista, glad she rolled out smoothly and I'm sure that's due in part to the incremental nature of Carnival's new build program. But this methodology has also put them 15 years behind RCCL.

Getting way off topic with Anthem, but I think it's a stretch to say that decision was revenue based. Back to Vista, glad she rolled out smoothly and I'm sure that's due in part to the incremental nature of Carnival's new build program. But this methodology has also put them 15 years behind RCCL.

Carnival has reached a point, or will soon reach the point where they have too many ships to fill. They need to scuttle some of the Fantasy class before they go on another building spree, but they have to figure out what to do with the Fantasy class before they can do that. Not a strong market for used ships and no where to place them anymore. RCI has the same conundrum.

Recent, Henna (ex Jubilee) was reported to be headed to the breakers because they couldn't sell it for a mere $35 million. That's a good indication of the weak state of the used cruise ship market.

It will be interesting to see how Virgin affects the industry when they come online. You know that Sir Richard will have the REALLY fun ships. ;)

Edited by Thorncroft

Carnival has reached a point, or will soon reach the point where they have too many ships to fill. They need to scuttle some of the Fantasy class before they go on another building spree, but they have to figure out what to do with the Fantasy class before they can do that. Not a strong market for used ships and no where to place them anymore. RCI has the same conundrum.

Recent, Henna (ex Jubilee) was reported to be headed to the breakers because they couldn't sell it for a mere $35 million. That's a good indication of the weak state of the used cruise ship market.

It will be interesting to see how Virgin affects the industry when they come online. You know that Sir Richard will have the REALLY fun ships. ;)

Lol, they will be ship heavy but still think it is safe to say they won't be shutting any ships. Something tells me Virgin won't be competing with the average Carnival cruiser.

They ought to take two of the Fantasy hulls and make a catamaran out of them.

That would be an interesting ship, or chop a nose or tail off and make a really long ship. While I don't think it is even feasible I wonder if they could "Sunshine" a Fantasy class.

Lol, they will be ship heavy but still think it is safe to say they won't be shutting any ships. Something tells me Virgin won't be competing with the average Carnival cruiser.

time will tell who virgins main competition will be.

Seems like Carnival can still use fantasy class at ports up and down the east coast for people not wanting to fly.

There were other factors why they chose not to compete in that race. Just happy they have new shops coming.

There were other factors why they chose not to compete in that race. Just happy they have new shops coming.

It's an incredibly stupid race to get caught up in. I admire Carnival for standing on principle and staying out of it. When the music stops, there will be a couple of cruise lines without a chair.